Author Topic: Heritage seeds from the USA  (Read 4504 times)

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
Heritage seeds from the USA
« on: December 11, 2007, 21:02:35 »
Now, this could be dangerous

http://www.seedfest.co.uk/

A special offer until New Year.  100 packets of seeds for $30 (about £15).

Anybody out there used them before?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Heritage seeds from the USA
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 21:09:07 »
you'll have lots of replies about seedfest - they're a bunch of crooks aka rogueseeds, not that i've used them

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 21:51:24 »
they even got thrown off ebay because of the number of complaints.

Have a read of http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,36761.0.html
and
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,25836.0.html

Cambourne7

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 21:51:58 »
Stick with Bakers Creek, Southern Exposure and Amishland seed banks - all reliable and between them offer enough diversity of choice to keep you busy for at least a decade.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 23:18:26 »
I took the special offer from seedfest two years on the trot ( in fact I introduced them here )but then last year when they closed their UK office it all went wrong. Whether they're reliable again I don't know.

I did enjoy the packs but found you'd only use a small number of the varieties. 5 types of corn, 8 types of cabbage etc.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 23:27:45 »
once bitten twice shy!

If we had received some communication we might understand but they were very sneeky and underhand. And the fact that even ebay has not let them back makes me think there sill not to be trusted.

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 23:36:44 »
Thank you all for your replies.  I think I'll give them a miss!!

bcday

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 23:48:47 »
Has the Garden Watchdog been mentioned before? It's useful when you are considering an unknown supplier. It has ratings for thousands of vendors.

The Garden Watchdog http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

Scroll halfway down the page to the "Browse by first letter" section and click on R for Roguelands. You'll see that Roguelands is not highly rated.

Hi, my name is Nancy. I live in New York so I mostly stick to US forums. I thought you might find the Garden Watchdog helpful, so I jumped in. Hope you don't mind.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 01:02:09 »
PLEASE don't buy from this company..please. They are perhaps the worst I have heard of. I buy most of my seeds from the US and Canada  for a great many years and know most of the companys who it is sensible to trade with from the US..this is not one of them.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 02:31:20 »
Baker's Creek was recommended to me by Jeannine and is excellent - thanks, J!    ;D

Thanks also to Nancy, and welcome - don't be a stranger! It's nice to compare growing conditions with people in other parts of the world. I'm sure we'll find more similarities than differences - just try talking about the weather, which on this forum will be:

too wet/ too dry/ too cold/ too hot/ too much frost/ not enough frost/ where's the sun gone/ phew wot a scorcher, my soil is like concrete/ like the desert/ like a lake, and full of weeds/ bricks/ slugs. and all my plants have wilted/ drowned/ frazzled, and I need to get a life/ get drunk/ get back out there and start again...

There, now you've met everyone here!

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 07:46:24 »
Well that does about sum us all up Amazin...
 :-X

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 09:19:22 »
Well that does about sum us all up Amazin...
 :-X
In a nutshell. :)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 11:11:50 »
Hi bcday and wellcome to A4A, now we know what your favourite(i hope!) UK forum is,i was wondering if you would let us know your favourite US forums, i for one would be intrested to see what our Friends across the pond get up to in there gardens. :) Or any other country for that matter.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 12:24:44 »
I ordered from Baker Crrek after recommendations on this site - brilliant service. I also joined via their website the "I dig my Garden" Heirloom gardening forum - which also is a good site. As with A4A members they are very welcoming and they have also swopped some seeds with me.

Link
http://idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php

I am lottie_uk on that site

bcday

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 15:34:25 »
Hi all, and thanks for the welcome.

My favorite forum at the moment is Tomatoville, http://www.tomatoville.com

It's mostly about tomatoes but there are separate sections for other gardening subjects. You have to register before you can see any of the forums, but it doesn't cost anything and you won't get any ads or spam email. The default background is pink but you can change it to a style called Work Safe that I find easier on the eyes.

I like the IDigMyGarden forum that Suzanne mentioned too, that's probably my second favorite. I stay out of the political section though, things can get quite heated in there and I prefer the gardening topics anyway.

There are a smattering of other forums that I visit, but I don't spend much time on them. GardenWeb, http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/ used to be a favorite until iVillage bought it and started all the intrusive ads. Now it's practically a ghost town but I still go there sometimes. They have a lot of special interest forums, you name it and there's a forum for it at GW. If you can block the annoying popups, it's worth a glance and you don't have to register unless you want to post there.

I use the same screen name at all of them, so say hi if you see me there!

Oh, the weather...at present it's too wet/too cold, rain is melting the snow and freezing it into ice. The weather forecast says 6-8" of snow for Thursday; there is a winter storm watch in effect. All the plants are frozen. Whatever soil isn't frozen has turned to mud. The dog has dug deep holes where there used to be onions and carrots. I wish I could get her to dig up the weeds!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 15:42:35 »
hiya, bcday..welcome to the site..at the moment, it's dry, bright and veery cold in the north west of England..not as cold as you've got but cold enough for me  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 16:35:24 »
cool i have signed up and logged a negative entry against seedfest :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 16:39:58 »
Hi Nancy and welcome to the madhouse, its cold but dry with morning frosts in N London.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 17:35:55 »
Welcome to the nuthouse Nancy ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

bcday

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 17:56:54 »
Thanks, all. Silverbirch, my apologies if I've drawn your thread off-topic.

The seeds in the Roguelands special offer are probably in packets marked "Packed for 2007". It is illegal here to sell those seeds after January 1, so I think that's why the offer is only good until then. A local retail store has lately been selling 2007 seeds at 10 cents/packet for the same reason (and calling them "Christmas stocking stuffers",  ;D ).

Pinetree Garden Seeds is a very reliable source of seeds at relatively low prices. http://www.superseeds.com/

Baker Creek is very good too.

Tomato Growers Supply is an excellent reliable company for tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants (aubergine). I have never had a problem with their seeds or service. http://www.tomatogrowers.com/index.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal