Author Topic: Calling all quilters and wannabee quilters  (Read 11795 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Calling all quilters and wannabee quilters
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 21:03:45 »
Turning 1/8th inch hem is fine on straight or relatively straight edges.  However the reason I mentioned it was I made an applique duvet cover and used a poppy pattern.  It was all curves and points.  Tried the hemming method first but couldn't really make it work.  Therefore used that iron on interfacing and button hole stitched round the raw edges.  Was going to do buttonhole stitch but realised I had forgotten how.  Duvet cover still in use - the applique has survived constant laundering better than the material for the cover.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 19:28:41 »
Had a trip into Newcastle City Library where I found quite a good selection of quilting books so I have the following on loan:

*The Complete Guide to Quilting Techniques by Pauline Brown
*Quiltmaking for beginners ( A stitch-by-stitch guide to  Hand and Machine techniques)
  by Lynne Kough
*Fast Quilts from Fat Quarters by Barbara Chainey

Then had a trip to a local fabric outlet & had a good rummage through the remnants box & got a good selection for only £5

Now I just need to decide upon a design . . .

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 22:56:49 »
Went to local sewing centre after work and bought a cutting board, ruler & rotary cutter (with retractable blade) and spent most of the evening cutting hexagonal pieces from all materials collected.

Tomorrow I shall measure king size quilt dimensions &  finalise pattern design before I begin :icon_flower:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 23:15:27 »
Well done Debs!!

I have spent the morning going through my stuff and pickinbg out a few maybes some of you would like to share.

I am posting a picture of a very simple but stunning easy to make quilt that is perfect for beginners and experienced folks alike.

It is just two blocks which when joined together in the squence shoqn make a super overall quilt. It can be made as big or as small as you like and can be made from scraps or do as I did and use jewel tones fabrics plus a plain white for the background.

Trust me it is easy and th jewel tone fabrics can be found anywhere. I chose marbled designs mostly but a few have designs on them, just keep the colours deep and vibrant like, ribies, emeralds, sapphires, amber. citrine etc.

It is called Snowball and Nine square.

Block one is basically white with a triangle accross each corner.
Block two has no white and is 9 jewel toned small squares.
The blocks are then fatsened alternately  and the overall deign becomes clear.
Some borders are added.

Very simple but stunning. If anyone wants info on how to do this one stick your hand up!!

The second quilt is a pattern I have had for along time and it is one of my 2013 must doos and I am starting this week. All manner of scraps can be used for this one,just keep a common background in a white or neutral colour.. If anyone wants to join me let me know, there is some piecing and some appliquue but it is a quilt that you could do stitch applique or fusible and buttonhole over the edge. Again it can be made smaller by not doing all of the houses. The fun of this one ios that yoiu can embellish anyway you want to make each block your own
It is called Hometown

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 23:27:51 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 23:31:28 »
I have also found three small wall hangings all with a gardening theme, they vary and have some piecing, some applique, things on them are whelbarrows, birdhouses, flowers, seedpackets, garden tools, etc etc.

I wil;l post pictures of these later.

I also have out my mystery quilt which I am starting today..so of anyone wants to join me I will post the patterns as I go.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 01:56:08 »
Its a joy to read these posts, I would love to join you. Im a novice too, but I have to do something with myself....... my health is rubbish, and boredom is killing me. So yes please if I may....... :toothy10:
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 08:14:12 »
Mystery quilt, block 1.................... Friendship Star. You need to make 4 six inch blocks.

Follow the instructions for the block in whatever colour scheme you have chosen,  the example shown is  with a black background but it will look just as nice with another colour.

Block 1 is very simple and should pose no problems but please get back to me if you are unsure about anything.

To make it easy on everyone I am using the net resources for some of the commonly known blocks, it is easier for you all and I will only use sites that have full instructions.

go to       http://quilting.about.com/od/blockofthemonth/ss/friend_star.htm

Bear in mind you are only making 4 identical 6 inch Friendship Star blocks . The info on the site gives you the choice of making a full quilt.

Having made your 4 blocks, sew them together in a row.

For newbies to quilting, the 1/4 inch seam is very important.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:25:36 by Jeannine »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 10:46:46 »
Thanks Jeannine.   I can't start for a couple of weeks as I've just had the operation on my foot and have to keep it elevated for 2 weeks so it looks like embroidery and reading for now.

Can't wait to get cracking though.   I'd like a lightweight quilt done in time for summer when duvets are too warm.

Obxx
Obxx - Vendée France

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:05 »
Can't wait to start.  Just waiting on finishing another project and my friend said she would take me to the shop that sells fat quarters.  If you don't mind me being a few weeks behind everyone I will join.  May xxxx

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 18:59:50 »
Og Goodee, don'y worry about being behind, it really won't matter, I will post a block every couple of weeks or so. Check out Keepsake Quilting for fabric, especually their medleys and scrap bags, they are pretty reasonable sending to the UK and the fabric is cheaper in the Us so the postage is eaten up anyway.

I will post my mystery blocks as I finish them, I am really tempted to make this one with a black background..but not quite decided.

Lottie, I was happy to learn of your quilt with fusible shapes, that is super, as I said before for some things it can work well. I should post some pictures of my ongoing Santa quilt, it is all done that way. I do a block or two when I get the urge.

XX Jeannine

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2013, 14:40:51 »
I know this is a mystery quilt, but could you possibly give us some idea of the finished size please?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2013, 15:39:08 »
Yes, I will make this  an info page  size of blocks etc.. it doesn;t have to be a die hard mystery if folks prefer I can give some info.. it will to some extent have a homey/gardening theme.eg there will be appliqued flower blocks in there somewhere, birdhouses,a house...each finished block or as in the case with the first one a set of finished blocks will send a message..eg Block 1 is called Friendship Star and by making 4 we are all stars. The first one actually made blocks 1,33,35 and 23 when fastened together.Most of the blocks are 10" or 8" although there are a couple of odd sized ones. You will be making sashing from scraps  from assorted 2" squares here and there.

It is a full sized quilt, actual finished size will be approx 84" x 108" .I say approx. as it can be made wider by increasing the border edging.

I am making mine very scrappy and using an off white background. Very colorful, but it can also be made using a more formal colour scheme. If you look at an earlier quilt I sent a picture of,(the one with the centre house) it is  scrappy sampler but the colour schem is rust, blue, creams etc with some black. I ummed and ahhed about the colour scheme on mine and have decided I want it very scrappy and colorful so I can use up a lot of bits from my stash. The row of Friendhsip stars could all be different if one chooses, in fact the squares and triangles within each 6 inch block could all be different. I have made 2 sets of block 1. One is green on white , all four the same, the other is very scrappyand uses all different colours. The reason for this I am making two versions of this quilt as I go.

I intended posting my finished blocks today but found yesterday my iron is on the blink and I can't press anything, so it will be a few days.

The number of blocks will not help you at this time as some are multiple smaller blocks fastened together as in number 1.

It can be made using a definate colour scheme though as I explained earlier.

I desined this quilt in 2003 and have only just got around to doing it myself . Some blocks are commonnly known ones but some are completely my own design.

XX Jeannine

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2013, 18:22:40 »
I think I have got lost already and I haven't even started :(  Thank you for the link to Keepsake Quilting.  Their prices are certainly reasonable, however being a woman, the only way I can "see" fabric is to feel it.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2013, 18:53:04 »
I can sympathise with that Lottie Lou.   I have picked out 3 fabrics from my stash and will be unable either to go up the attic and fish out some more or go out and buy some for a month while I wait for my foot to heal so i'm keeping it simple when I do get started.   I like the friend's star and today, whilst browsing a quilting site I found a block called "The Contrary Wife" which tickles my fancy no end.
Obxx - Vendée France

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2013, 19:31:54 »
Unfortunately what I can find of my "stash" isn't fit for purpose.  As the girls grew older all they wanted was black, black and black.  Haven't made up my mind about colours yet but definitely note black.  Wonder how much material we will need for the base colour - Jeannine, please help.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2013, 19:36:29 »
The contrary wife block looks very easy, even I could do it.  Have you seen the picture of the quilt with friendship star and snowball combined?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2013, 22:42:49 »
I must admit it was the name that appealed but in fact it would make a very good beginners' block and will be easy to cut which is a factor given I have to stay sitting with my foot up for a month.  I might make a bloc of it and also Friend's Star and see which I prefer "in the flesh".

I like those combinations with the snowball.    Good website.  Thanks.
Obxx - Vendée France

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2013, 22:50:20 »
Obbelix, don't be afraid to substitute blocks you prefer in the mystery quilt, as long as you stick to the sizes it will work out, and where there are 4 Friendhsip stars you could make 4 totally unrelated blocks there, it will jts look more busy which I like anyway.

Below is a picture of a quilt I made some years ago,not my quilt in the picture as I don;t have a picture of my personal one but it is identical to the one shown as it was  Block of the month quilt so the fabrics are sent. I have posted it to show you how using different backgrounds works well overall. they are all shades of beige  but all different. XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2013, 18:25:47 »
I have now finished my row of 4 friendship blocks in two different  ways (I am making two of this quilt)

1. I have done the background plain off white and the stars are a marbelised deep green, it looks quite striking. Althe fours stars are the same.

2. I have used a cream on cream background and the four stars are,a deep blue print, a gold print,a deep red print and a deep green print.

Both look good but overall I think I prefer the scrappy look oif the second.

I will try for pictures later.

Block 2 will be along next week.

XX Jeannine

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2013, 19:25:54 »
Have any ladies finished their first blocks yet?  Strewth I am soooo thick.  Went to shop to buy fabric and worked out that if I bought 6 colours at 1/2 mtr each I would have enough length to make quilt.  Got home then realised that fabric was only 1 mtr wide so will have to go and buy another load.  That lot will cost me all of Lent's f*g money!!!  To get wadding and backing will have to stay f*g free for longer.   Doh.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal