Author Topic: Calling all quilters and wannabee quilters  (Read 11805 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Calling all quilters and wannabee quilters
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2013, 20:54:45 »
I'm still effectively footless for another 3 weeks so haven't started yet but I have had a practice at using my machine with teh push button instead of the foot pedal and it went OK so I'm planning to do some cutting of the strips this coming week and expect to get the first couple of blocks done.

Just think what you can do with your f*g money for the rest of the year!
Obxx - Vendée France

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2013, 22:52:35 »
Just think what you can do with your f*g money for the rest of the year!

Oh my poor waistline :S  Haven't practised my cutting technique yet and am happy at mo just looking at my cloth and touching it (I am sad).  Will get a wiggle on next week and try and start.  Hope your foot get better soon.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2013, 02:21:59 »
Don't panic , There is no time frame for doing this, the blocks are not goinmg to vanish of you get behind. Sorry to hear aboiut the foot keep it up and heal quick, I will hold off for a bit,and poct the next one when you have caught up.

Bear in mind this is a very laid back way to make a quilt, we are not pros at this.

I am currently working another one anyway so no probs.

The assorted beige backgrounds definately are looking bettre than the more fromal one with an off white background.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2013, 20:15:21 »
Jeannine, just read that you are supposed to prewash your material.  Do you?  I have strunk mine as per my neeedlework teacher many many moons ago by ironing under damp cloth but just read its best to prewash.  By the way do you know how many of us ladies are joining you in this project?

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2013, 20:20:33 »
Must get new glasses. I read this as quitters and wannabee quitters and was looking in to give my own contribution to a 'keep going' pep talk!

Good luck to all you quilters!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2013, 20:37:37 »
Hi Lottie, no I don't wash my fabric but if the quilt is going to get a lot of washing(mine don't) it is a consideration for colour  bleeding. I think years ago everyone did it but nowadays some folks do and others don't.

I don't know how many have joined in maybe just a few of ud.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2013, 21:19:25 »
I know I haven't got round to starting mine yet, other than admiring my material, but could you give us a clue as to the next block please?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 02:51:45 »
Yep, no problem.

The first set I gave you just a starter set to get you thinking, part of the quilt too but it  didn't give anything away. You might call it "Start of the Year" it was 4 small Friendship stars for obvious reasons.

I am running behind but will catch up after this weekends show.

January's block is actually still in the making. It is almost finished but as it is my own and cannot send you to a site I will have to send a picture and instructions, it shouldn't be long..clues, it is applique, it is a flower and it is common in January. It is quite special to most gardeners but especially so to me which I will explain when I post it.

February's block promises romance.

March's block is finished but not ready to be sent yet.

XX Jeannine

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2013, 15:09:52 »
I'm watching this thread with interest but won't be doing the surprise quilt just yet.  Given that I'm a complete quilting novice and my immediate need is for a simple traditional quilt for my bed I'm goint to stick with one made form Contrary Wife blocks.

However, we're starting our barn conversion this year and I will have plenty of brick walls to cover and a more interesting quilt may be a good solution, especially as I'm having my other foot done in April which means at least 4 weeks on the sofa or a chair with my feet up to drain the swelling and then gentle hobbling for a while afterwards.    Plenty of time to think about and make quilt blocks between sowing seeds and pricking out.   Someone else will have to do the weeding.

Obxx - Vendée France

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2013, 15:26:40 »
How are you getting on with your half square triangles Obbelix?  Making my first test ones.  Followed instructions to make them slightly larger so will have to learn to cut back.  This is quite exciting learning a new skill.  By the way what are you converting your barn into?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2013, 16:19:25 »
All I've managed so far is to measure and cut some strips and then I needed to sit again.  I'll do a few more once I can get in the kitchen again - OH is watching rugby in there so I can't get near the table anyway.

The barn was always intended as our living room with two bedrooms above for us and our daughter.   Plan A was to use the 3 bedrooms we already have for B&B but the local regulations made that unfeasable so we'll just rent out rooms to students which is a lot less work anyway and leaves the rooms available for friends and rellies to visit in the holidays.
Obxx - Vendée France

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2013, 16:32:18 »
What size are you making your quilt blocks?  I hadn't realised how fiddly it was to make a 9 patch block to finish at 6" square.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2013, 16:58:54 »
According to the instructions, Contrey Wife makes a 12" block so easy for beginners who want to progress rapidly to a finished product - http://www.quilterscache.com/C/ContraryWifeBlock.html   

Once I have the knack, I'll be happier to try more intricate stuff.   Achieving a finished article in reasonable time is one reason I sew rather than knit.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 17:01:01 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal