Author Topic: Calling all quilters and wannabee quilters  (Read 11806 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Re: Calling all quilters and wannabee quilters
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 03:02:42 »
Hi Janine

I would be interested in your mystery quilt.  Please count me in.

Kind regards

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 07:50:48 »
Maybe a re think here.. instead of the mystert quilt I can do a quilt by block each month that you will have a finished picture of and iI can tell you exactly what to buy, in fact I do have the patterns for most of the quilts shown above I will try and find some more that I also have...I will get back to you.

Sewing by hand is fine, mn yof mine are hand pieced.

Below is one I have made, it is some piecing and some applique, I could do that as blocks

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:54:07 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 13:30:10 »
It is beautiful.  Can feel a learning curve coming on.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 13:42:20 »
It's beautiful but I think that for a first attempt I'd be happier with piecing before attemting appliqué.    Any clues on fabric quantities to buy for a quilt that size?   
Obxx - Vendée France

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 18:42:48 »
Crikey Jeannine - that is amazing!

It looks very complicated too - I love the appliqué blocks, I haven't done  any of that (yet).

Would you say that quilt is expert level?. It looks it to me!!

Alison x

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 18:45:37 »
When you do your applique do you mount the bits on that iron on bonding?  BTW what size is the finished quilt?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 19:07:32 »
The quilt above is not a beginner one to be truthful unless you are already a sewer,frankly the secret to quilting is doing a bang on 1/4 inch seam, if the pieces you are sewing are stitched accurately it goes together well but if not it all goes pie shaped. You can put a line on your machine at exactly 1.4 inch or you can buy 1/4 inch tape that you stick to your seasm and sew alongside it, eventually you get to eye ball right, it justs takes practise. The other thing of course is accurate cutting and the best way to do that is with a rotary cutter  a cutting board and quilting ruler.. using templates is an other way but they are not used much these days for piecing usually only applique.

How about I give you all a practise block to try..??

If the idea of a quilt with all different blocks in is too scary I can give you a much easier one, in fact I can give you a very attractive quilt that is very easy to make and if good colours are used there are soi amny choices of how to put ut together all your quilts will look different, there is much less cutting and measuring too  and the finihed effect can be stunning. The other plus to this one is that you can make it any size you like from a lap throw to a full sized king.

Colur is easy too as you just need a scrappy lot of lights and darks.

XX Jeannine

I will find you some pictures

OK this is a log cabin, apart from a few wacky ones all the blocks are made the same way, drop dead easy, then depending on how you put them all together the quilts will all look differnt, shown is a are pictuure of basic log cabin quilt

http://oldquiltcompany.com/debra_logcabin.html

the next link shows a few variation of quilt using the same block
http://www.equilters.com/library/logcabin/easy_log_cabin_part4.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 20:01:58 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 21:45:17 »
In one great quandary here.  Do I make it in dress material which will be cheaper or do as you suggest, good quality mateiral (ie. the sheer effort is the same).  I know this is a daft question but would I have to shrink the material first before cutting out in case the eventual finished quilt needs laundering or should it be dry cleaned?  Apologies for being thick as a barn door but I have made clothes in the past in pre polyester days and they shrunk in the first wash.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 22:24:38 »
Sorry Jeannine please ignore last post.  Answered my own questions.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 10:24:29 »
I knew very little about quilting before I read this post. Having now spent far too much time reading all about it, I am lost in admiration for anyone who could tackle this...I hope you all do, though, and please keep posting photos of progress!

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 17:22:36 »
I'd love to try some appliqué - I really like the blocks on the quilt in the photo.

Alison x

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 19:56:48 »
Thanks for the link to the log cabin quilting instructions.  Spent years mithering how to measure the length of the strips.  Waiting to buy some proper material now to give it a try rather than waste my time with dress material and the like.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 23:08:56 »
I did a bit of googling and am completely confused with all the terms ( why is a roll of fabric strip called a 'jelly' roll?)

I will be getting a new kingsize bed for spare room & would love to make a quilt for it as they look beautiful.

Saw a nice quilt design used as a background for Americanquiltstudygroup.org - hexagonal shapes in mainly earthy tones which

would look good  in my spare room as new bed is french oak  & rest of room quite neutral.

However, don't know if this is too ambitious & pattern not provided

Debs

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 08:27:50 »
Ooh ! How lovely Jeannine !  I  havent done any for a very long time  .... love to hand sew ... very relaxing . A little wall hanging would be nice ...yes ..looking forward to this    :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 08:30:04 »
Just a flying visit.. an edible jelly roll here is what the UK calls Swiss roll, a flat cake rolled up then cut into slices, the jelly roll fabric strips are rolled the same. It is a fancy term for paying expensive prices for strips of fabric..  another marketing con .

I will look up the hexagon quilty and see if I can fions a pattern for it.

For really top notch  applique help ,look up Baltimore quilts, Elly Sienkiewicz.. a truly gifted person who has put out several books that start right down at the bottom and teach applique truly in depth, lesson by lesson, one block at a time. Try Amazon for her books.
Flying out, I will be back

I should just add if anyone is thinking of getting an Elly S. book start with Baltimore Beauties and Beyond Vol 1....Amazon probably has it..then follow with Baltimore Beauties and Beyond Vol 2 and 3.. don't go for her other books first.

Debs just looked, that hexagon pattern has a few names but look up Grandma's Flower Garden on  you tube and on the net and you will probably directions for both ways of making it. Traditionally it was done all  by hand using believe it or not what we call the English paper piecing method which is using a two templates,   cut one fabric and then one paper piece which is 1/4 " all round smaller than the fabric. The fabric is then folded over onto the paper and it is tacked/basted on, then the hexagons are slip stiched together, the paper is removed when all the quilt top is fimished. there is also a machine method but I prefer the first one.. look them both up.. need help get back to me. drop dead easy but slow.You could follow the background picture on |American qulity study group to recreate it. I have templates if you can't find them.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:52:19 by Jeannine »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 16:05:35 »
I'm almost set.  Went and bought a fabric cutting wheel this afternoon.  Found a stash of suitable fabrics in my "sad pile" in the attic.  I'd bought them some years ago to do a summer cover for my daughter's bed when she was in her pink phase.   Teenager now and all black and blue.

Just have to decide on a pattern as I don't think these fabrics will suit log cabin so looking at doing Attic Window, Friend's Star or Garndmother's Puzzle.   I really like the look of Baltimore appliqué but it's way beyond my skill and patience levels, plus I have 2 dogs and a cat that will want to "help" and already make doing embroidery difficult.

Thanks for giving me, and others, the impetus Jeannine.
Obxx - Vendée France

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 13:21:24 »
Easiest way to make a hexagon template:

Use a protractor (cheap in stationery shops or nick from children’s geometry set)
Draw circle size you require on cardboard
Place point of protractor on drawn line and mark to bisect your line
Move point of protractor to point of last bisect line and do another
Continue round your circle
Join up bisect points and cut out shape.
Use template to make patterns out of tiissue paper
Cut material ¼” larger than pattern and tack to form hem
Leave patterns in place until article is  completed before removing
Happy sewing

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 04:34:46 »
Lottie Lou, sorry i ddin't asnwer before..re iron on interfacing. On the whole no I don't use it. Well not for what I call "proper serious quilting" I turn an 1'8 inch hem on that but I have done a coupleof wall hangings that are not what I call proper quilting and I have used the very very very thin stuff, then I do a tiny buttonhole stitch all round the edge. Personally I would never use it in anything that was going on a bed, may needs to be washed or I wanted to last. I have an ongoing Christmas project I use it for, all different Santas on 6x8 inch blocks. It is cutesy so the buttonhole finish fits right in.

I seem to have started a bit of interest which is smashing but we are not all on the same page...ideas here

XX Jeannine

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 12:47:04 »
Can I suggest you go ahead with your mystery idea but give a simple block for complete beginners and a slightly more advanced block for those who've already done a bit or can sew quite well?   Assuming you have time to do 2 that is.

Either way, I'm off up the attic to check for more fabrics as I need a plain one to set off what I've already found.  Once again, thanks for the impetus.

Obxx
Obxx - Vendée France

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 15:50:59 »
I'd like to join in, if that's OK?

I'm not a very experienced quilter, but I did make a hexagon one many years ago. That was hand stitched around papers.

I'll have to go find some fabric, as I cleared all my sewing stuff out last year as everything went into storage. I still have all the 'hardware' though, so shouldnt take too long till I am ready  :toothy10:

Looking forward to seeing all the different versions and colour choices :icon_flower: :icon_flower:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal