Author Topic: Calling all quilters and wannabee quilters  (Read 11794 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Calling all quilters and wannabee quilters
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:08:54 »
Does anyone fancy joining in on making a mystery quilt.

Each month I would send you directions to make one block, they will all be different . The idea is to build up a collection of blocks without seeing the full quilt, eventually all will be revealed and with the last few blocks you will know just how to put it together.

It is a lot of fun, good for when you can't garden.

You can handsew or use a machine, some pieces may even be foundation pieced.There may be a little bit of applique.

Don;t be scared if you are a wannabee.

You need to come up with a colour scheme so you can use various different prints  and colours that will harmonise well together.

Background should probably be neutral, cream, white or pale beige and it can be all the same or different designs of the same colour.

Let me know.

I have a mystery quilt already designed.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
Re: Calling all quilters and wannabee quilters
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 16:55:16 »
I would love to but I currently have so many started but not finished projects I think I would get myself in trouble if I started a new one!

It sounds great though

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 17:00:54 »
I am totally hopeless at design etc.  Can I just watch?

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 18:09:49 »
Oh what a lovely idea....only trouble is my UFO list is so long at the moment, I still have to quilt the double quilt I finished for my OH's daughter two years ago :tweety:

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 19:19:18 »
Hmmm, OK I'll give it a bash but what sort of design do you have in mind and what sort of material?   What will you do with the finished article may I ask and most importantly, is there a time constraint?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 20:43:06 »
Uh...I feel temptation coming on..
just few questions so I can think about it...about the time scale..when would you expect to us finish the project? How big quilt are we 'talking' about? How long you would expect each block taking time to do?
I've done little 'dabble' to quilting before...tempting as it sounds, I've got so many other temptations too... ..woolly kinds, nothing naughty  :angel11:
Would I manage with just sowing machine?...I just blew up my overlocker (some shopping to do to find replacement :BangHead:)

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 21:30:51 »
Thanks for asking those questions ... I'm interested, how much material would be necessary - would it be avoid idea to buy it all at the beginning?

Alison x

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 21:33:12 »
What about ACE, surely he'll need something to do to occupy his time whilst recovering in hospital?

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 21:38:16 »
Saw a film called How to make an American Quilt once.  Would it be we all made one block?  Spent nearly 20 yrs collecting bits of material, cutting them into hexagons and sewing them to make flower patterns.  Put is away somewhere safe and another 10 yrs on when I needed it couldn't find it!!!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 23:09:01 »
I'm interested but need to know what size you're thinking of and whether it's all hand sewing or if pieces can be machine stitched.   I'm about to have an operation on my foot which will mean 4 weeks or enforced rest with no walking, dancing or gardening so could do with an alternative to embroidery and books and TV t keep me sane - ish.
Obxx - Vendée France

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 00:26:50 »
Went to the American Museum in Bath in December.  They have the most beautiful Quilts on display. Have been thinking about having ago, but abit nervous.  What equipment do we need beside the obvious (needles/scissors/thread/material/sewing machine). I have been on eBay looking at material but got a bit confused by the differant size ways they sell the fabric.  So I'm very much a wannabee and as long as you don't mind some extra e mails if I get stuck would love to join in.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 03:06:10 »
This sounds interesting - have never quilted before.

Are quilts used as a sort of extra layer / throw for a bed, or, can they be made as a cover to encase a duvet??

Debs

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 05:13:30 »
Debs, you would use a quilt as a bedspread, or throw, definitely not as an outer covering for your duvet.  By the time you have made it, put a backing on it, and quilted it (hand or machine sewing that holds the front and back together) you certainly wouldn't use it for any purpose that meant you had to machine wash it regularly, it would be too precious! But it would look lovely on top of your bed.  The one on our bed I made probably 20 years ago and it comes on and off every day,  and still looks beautiful.  I treasure it and all the time it took me to make it.  Actually it wasn't the top, decorative layer that took the time, as I did all that by machine.  It was the hand quilting afterwards - done over many many hours of baby-sitting!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 08:38:00 »
Buying some 100% cotton material (well any sort  really) in small 'craft' pieces can be really expensive way doing it.
Many Ikea's fabrics are good quality cotton and you can buy it 'on roll'..they do 'roll ends' cheaper, or cutting the pieces from bought pillow cases/other linen.
It don't have to be new material neither...you could use material already used but still serviceable condition...curtains, table cloths, clothes, bedding etc...
Oh dear....this is getting really dangerous now....I do happen to have 3 bin liners full of various materials folded and stored away for any possible project.

I used to work textile factory and in 'olden days' they had these massive big trolleys full of fabrick samples or cut outs/roll ends that you were able to buy off cheaply (if they were large pieces) and smaller ones were just wheeled into skip... :BangHead: Our service chap new that I was bit into sewing and 'stuff' so he warned me before he emptied the trolleys...I had good old forage and picked all the best bits to bring home :icon_cheers: FREE! It was lucky to me...but big shame for them...they used to throw away full bobbins of thread, buttons, clasps, zips, laces, materials, cords..all sorts!..and just because they didn't need them and they were freebie samples from manufactures anyway...into skip! :BangHead: It took few years of nagging and all this 'environment' fashion to kick in to somebody in office to make effort and call some nurseries and schools and ask if its any use for them....and then there was practically unused or new paper to write/draw on.. :BangHead: Many times I came home with full roll of material , with just couple square inch piece cut off from corner as sample for designers folders, or boxes full of personalized notepads/paper that was thrown away because that person had left the company :BangHead:...nobody didn't even think they might use it themselves for scribbling :dontknow:. What a amount of waste they created, horrid to think that it was just one factory..and this must have happened all over the place. I never had use to all the stuff I brought home..but lot of it I managed to pass on to other craft people..and even now I don't buy rags and cloths for cleaning uses...I just take roll at the time and cut chunk out of it  :icon_cheers:...roll of fabric can last loooooong time if you are not avid 'scrubber' :tongue3:.
Oh...sorry about that rattling...got bit carried away....I just love craft materials......and wool.. :icon_cheers: :glasses9:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 01:14:02 »
Ok..to answer a few questions.

First the quilt would be yours, you would make your blocks as you got the instructions, or later if you get behind, about one a month.  nu time restraints, take as long as you like.

Size, well it is a mystery quilt .

Block size, again part of the mystery, some may be 12inches, some 8, some 4, the mystery is the fun as you have to complete all the blocks to find out which block gioes where.

Don't panic, I will be here, my e mail addy is in my profile.

Fabric.. you need good quality 100% quilting cotton, not a poly blend and not the cheap stuff from the market etc.Ikea fabrics are not suitable. There are lost of online shops in the Uk and the US who will mail to you.  Look up Keepsake Quilting for ideas..  There is no point in putting a beautiful hand made quilt together with rubbish fabric..it takes just the same amount of work, in fact it is easier with good stuff.

A serger is no good, all you need is a sewing machine that will se a good straight stitch and you need to be abkle to stitchan even 1/4 inch seam.

There is tons of info online  for free about quilting..look up, Quilts Blocks Galore, this will show you what I mean about making a block.

It is just  a bit of fun..I am doing this with another group and thought some of you may like to join in.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 11:27:59 »
Ok - count me in please. :wave:

Being new to this quilting lark - starting in August, it is just so addictive, I've made two quilts, three Christmas table runners and a couple of cushion covers.

I've got a couple of things ongoing, but hey, one more wont hurt, and like you say I can go at my own speed.......good job you're only an email away tho!!

Looking forward to this.

Alison x

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 13:12:41 »
OK.  I'm in.  Any clues about how many different fabrics to buy and in what quantities?  I have some suitable fabric already but don't want to start and then find I fall short and should have bought new..
Obxx - Vendée France

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 17:14:32 »
Sounds interesting.  Will give it a go if my eyesight improves a bit after my op as at the mo blind as the prverbial.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 20:00:41 »
Ok Colours, pick yourself a colour scheme,maybe 4 or 5 colours,or use a pale and dark of the same colour as two. them use different fabrics in those colours, look on the net for sampler quilts for ideas, then pick a neutral as a background, it can be cream, light beige, natural or even white ot you can tea dye whites to a pale beige. Again the backgrounds don;t all have to be the same design you can make it very scrappy by using several patterns on a similar colour background. Or you can use 1 neutral fabric all the way through, I often do this. I will on this quilt actually and I will probably use Kona solid shade Snow which is white but not a brilliant white.

Below are some ideas, see the one that is black then the same one in white, also see the very vibrant coloured sampler quilt. I have put these on just for colour ideas
XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 20:16:34 by Jeannine »

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 22:17:10 »
Hi Jeanine

These quilts look beautiful - this looks like a really good hobby that can easily be picked up as & when people have spare time

Will be googling for more info  :read2:

Thanks for starting this thread

Debs x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal