Author Topic: How do I make cheap/free raspberry cane supports (please)?  (Read 11644 times)

JayTee

;D We have inherited a mass of raspberry bushes on our  (not used for 14 years) allotment. Whilst we had to chop down a lot, we want to keep the bushes.
How do we create free/cheap supports?
Bear in mind that the bushes are overgrown at the moment but we want to make the most of the ripening berries.
Any advice on cutting back the overgrown bushes would also be appreciated as we are totally new to veg/fruit growing.
Thanks in advance

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: How do I make cheap/free raspberry cane supports (please)?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:39:06 »
Summer fruiting canes - you cut the fruit-bearing canes to the ground when they are finished fruiting and leave the other ones which will fruit next year. Autumn raspberries - cut them all to the ground after fruiting. They will bear fruit next year on totally new canes.

I don't know about cheap/free supports. I got mine from challenge fencing near Edinburgh and they were only about £2 a post as far as I remember but you'd need to look locally.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:14:27 »
This article courtesy of this months RHS magazine

Cane fruit are best trained onto a system of post-and-wire supports, using four lines of 12- or 10-gauge steel wire (about 2-3mm diameter) attached to stout posts 75mm square, positioned 10m apart

Attach the lowest wire 1m or so above the ground and space those above 30cm apart (left).

Summer raspberries can be planted between double rows of wire 45cm apart as this avoids the need for tying in.

Otherwise canes are tied to the wires with string or twine.

In confined spaces, less-vigorous cultivars can be grown over an arch, and compact hybrid berries, such as thornless loganberries, can be fan trained.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 11:13:39 »
Part of our plot is neglected coppiced hazel. I cut long stiff wands in winter and use them along with bought canes. The hazel doesn't last for more than a year or two, but it is free and endlessly renewable.

For raspberries, I put in three strong 8' tall sticks (new hazel or bamboo) each side of a 16' row, meeting at the top and firmly tied. Then I tie in horizontal sticks just below knee level to contain the canes, each side. I'm just about to tie in another set of horizontal sticks about waist height.

Mine are autumn fruiting, so were cut down to the ground in winter, but are starting to fruit now with months to come.

The 8' bamboos cost 50p each and last for several years, and the hazel is free, so I don't find raspberry support (I have 2 rows of 16') very expensive.

I would love to have a source of sweet chestnut coppice......

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:20:15 »
Part of our plot is neglected coppiced hazel. I cut long stiff wands in winter and use them along with bought canes. The hazel doesn't last for more than a year or two, but it is free and endlessly renewable.

Cut the hazel sticks in winter to the size you need. Tie in bundles and store flat for 3 days. Coat the cut ends with varnish or knotting. Store flat or hang from roof. Leave at least 6 months and paint with 2 coats preservative. Will last many years.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 21:11:34 »
i must admit i dont use any supports for my raspberries and have never had any problems.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 21:14:43 »
That's interesting. I do tie them in bundles and store flat, but have never treated them with anything. Do you mean coat them from top to bottom? Or just the base?

I find they dry out, lose weight and become brittle. Is the preservative expensive?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 21:17:46 »
Grotbag, my autumn rasps grow very tall and flop over in the wind, including blocking public paths, so I feel I have to prop them up to protect  my crops and to make it easy for generous neighbour to mow the paths. Don't yours flop about?

JayTee

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 08:31:31 »
Thanks for the replies.
Artichoke, your cane system works very well.
Amazingly, I came up with the same idea when we came across some very cheap & stout 8ft bamboo canes (Wilkinson's 5 for 64p) and thought " can't afford to do anything else so let's give it a try". 7.30am the next morning we were on the allotment tying up some of the VERY TALL & FLOPPY raspberry bushes which were lying on the ground, not knowing how effective it would be. Whilst we were doing this, you were posting your suggestion. We were so pleased to know that it is a tried and trusted method. Thanks for that (& thanks to Wilkinson's for having those cheap canes).
Only difference is that we have used  wire across the bamboo canes.
Now we have only got another 46 million  ;D raspberry bushes to go......

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 12:09:03 »
Here's a picture of the canes which I made for my garden, from left over pieces of wood and bamboo canes.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/prink13/DSC_0774.jpg

KAthi ;D
Kathi :-)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 12:28:36 »
I don't support mine either - variety Glen Ample.  Even on windy days they stay upright and I have never had any problem with the fruit ripening.  For me, I have far to many other jobs to be getting on with to go around fiddling with my raspberries, tying them in.

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 15:16:51 »
When we got our lottie our raspberries were a mess.

Here's the solution we finally decided on... boxing them in. Taking four posts in the corners and using string or wire to hold them into the box shape. This keeps them from flopping into the path and from taking up too much place. We're doing this with the row we nicely replanted at the back of the lottie and with the unruly bunch of bushes (really I couldn't count the stalks) in a square shape we inherited.

Hope this helps.
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 15:21:44 »
Here's a picture of the canes which I made for my garden, from left over pieces of wood and bamboo canes.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/prink13/DSC_0774.jpg

KAthi ;D

thanks for that, kathi ;D I've just bought loads of bamboo canes and can always scavenge the upright bits
(BTW is that the same mog asleep in the straw that's in your avatar?? what is it about cats and cameras that they appear out of nowhere ::) :))

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 16:00:53 »
Norfolklass, thanks for that - real easy to make, only have to remember that bamboo canes are different sizes at each end!

Yep, that's Bailey fat-cat asleep in the straw, I've mulched a few beds this year, thanks to Sarah Supersprout, and Bailey loves it! - I'm sure that wasn't the reason for doing it though! ;D

Kathi
Kathi :-)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 16:04:21 »
prink13 many thanks for the pic its certinaly given me some ideas :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal