Author Topic: When did you know you was getting old  (Read 12260 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: When did you know you was getting old
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 23:46:40 »
Eeeee Wardy !

Well I've just turned 38 but get this...the bloke who my OH is working with right now saw my pic on his phone and said "Oh she must like older blokes then!" OH is 39. So I guess its true but his work mate thought I was 24. Last year two BT engineers asked me if I could get my mum or dad to move our car off the  BT manhole cover thingy that is outside our house. LOL!   The other week a bloke knocked on the door asking to speak to the owner. I said "you are speaking to her". He looked in disbelief,looked up at the house and said "All this at such a young age!" Haha! Yeah right I'll give you that one cos he was selling something. Smarmy get. But the funniest thing was this, a couple of years ago. I was in a motorbike shop looking for some new leathers. OH asked the shop assistant if they had a certain type that I had my eye on,he said "Oh yes , for your daughter?" ROTFL! Boy have I had some fun with that. 

I think if people looked a bit harder they'd see a furrowed brow and my hands give it away too. Years of working outside in a cemetery. Now I bet that has shocked you! No I didn't dig holes, I cut the grass!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:49:57 by Heldi »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 09:16:53 »
I like being older than I used to be. But then I'm not 30 for another three months, so I'm still young really!

But even so...

* I find myself commenting "she must be cold" when I see what girls are wearing these days.
* I have to ask my younger colleagues to translate slang for me.
* I enjoy baking, making jam, gardening etc (well - some seem to think that's the domain of oldies!)
* Police men, doctors and the contestants on University Challenge look like children.
* The radio is constantly tuned to Radio 4.
* I moan because modern music sounds like noisy dirge and most of the bands/singers I listen to have long since split up or are dead.
* People are really shocked when I tell them my age as most of them seem to think I'm 10 years younger. (A few weeks ago someone asked me why I wasn't at school so I replied that I left school over 13 years ago! I was shocked! I'm used to people thinking I'm 18, but school?!)
* Two weeks in a row I've spent Sunday morning cleaning and tidying and really enjoyed it!
* I'm often asleep by 9.30.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:32:31 by aquilegia »
gone to pot :D

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 09:20:51 »
Oh, and when I realised my kids were more important to me than I am :)

What he said! And when I went to see Julian Cope in January - he was fab, but I had to go outside during the support as they were too loud :o :-[! Oh, and I'm usually up by 7am at the latest, even if the kids are still asleep!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 09:40:22 »
Oh and when I was talking to the "kids" at work and they didn't believe that there were ever pound notes and half pennies. I remember... (Although I'm not old enough to remember Pounds, Shillings and pence!)

I keep remembering more, I'll try to stop now before I feel ancient!

The fact that if I sit still for too long I have to very gentle get my knee back afterwards as it won't move for a while...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:42:08 by aquilegia »

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2005, 14:11:00 »
Code: [Select]
And when I went to see Julian Cope in January - he was fab
  Went to same school as Julian... such a quite boy
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2005, 14:42:53 »
Who's Julian Cope?
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2005, 14:44:17 »
I know what makes me feel old...not knowing what to wear. What do 38 year olds wear in order to look trendy,glam and a bit sexy?  It's the great mini skirt debate!

"Bless my cotton socks I'm in the news"    I know who Julian Cope is.  Does this mean I'm old?

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2005, 15:11:24 »
Why thankee kindly ma'am !

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2005, 15:42:44 »
I'm enjoying this.

I shall really feel it when I can't do a mile on the treadmill each morning.

Why not get out & walk? 'Cos to the left it's a 1/8 down & to the right it's a 1/4 up. That's not walking - it's hill-climbing!! And no pavement.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2005, 15:48:40 »
For a minute there Tim I thought you meant running!  :o

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2005, 16:03:50 »
When my daughter when younger asked me if my cave was near to Daddy's when we were growing up! ;D  ;D

When I look in the mirror in the morning and a 43 year old is staring back weather worn and bleary eyed! ;)

When I yell at the kids to turn that awful row down cos I can't hear myself think! (I swear at times my mother is in my body!)

When doing anything became far more exciting than clothes shopping :o

When the girls buy penny sweets, and the mallow shrimp things are tiny, and the black jacks and fruit salads have to be at least a quarter of the size they were, and we used to get 4 of them for 1d!! 8)

But the biggy for me, and I never thought it would bother me in the slightest was waking up on my 30th birthday, heavily pregnant so feeling the responsability of motherhood, and I found my first grey hair on my head!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2005, 16:04:48 »
Code: [Select]
And when I went to see Julian Cope in January - he was fab
  Went to same school as Julian... such a quite boy

Not any more...

What do 38 year olds wear in order to look trendy,glam and a bit sexy?  It's the great mini skirt debate!

...only if matched with mud-spattered wellies!

My kids watched the Smash Hits Poll Winners party the other day - that made me feel very old :'(

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2005, 16:15:06 »
At least you still have your teeth, rob?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2005, 16:17:12 »
DP - I found my first grey hair at 16. My sister found another one earlier this year. Mr Aqui (two weeks younger than me) has quite a peppering of greys now.

I was wondering recently if they still did penny sweets - didn't think about them making them smaller!

myrtle

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2005, 16:23:33 »
(Although I'm not old enough to remember Pounds, Shillings and pence!)

I am!!!!! and NOW I feel old!  ;D

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2005, 17:58:56 »
I remember the pounds, shillings and pence as-well . Turned decimal when I went up to high school. Oh how I wish we could turn the clock back to when money was worth something, and there was good pop music to listen to from such great seventies groups like Slade, T rex, Sweet, Mud and Wizard.

;D
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

undercarriage plan

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2005, 18:06:18 »
Nope! Am quite happy in denial....long may it last... ;D ;D ;D
Lottie

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2005, 18:24:49 »
I was at work and a police officer came up to me and said, "Do you still run cubs ?".  Yes I said do you want to know for your son?  No - I was one of your kids. 
Also when I am at the pub I am often asked if I would like a drink from a beefy 6 foot plus bloke with a gruff voice.  Again one of my ex-cubs.
Get with the beat Baggy

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2005, 18:27:31 »
same here lottie totally in denial  ::) ::) ::) having 3 teenager girls keeps me young i hope

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2005, 19:13:43 »
Enjoyed reading this - so many truisms - the comfy shoes, the boring shopping etc - fashion to me now is what I feel suits me!. Certainly don't feel old inside and to keep that feeling alive I avoid all unnecessary mirrors!!  But the thing about (real) age I have found is that it is sooo liberating - I will happily start up a conversation without caring  that I may be thought pushy or forward, I savour every opportunity to "have a laugh", have banished the "stiff upper lip" and don't care who sees me being sentimental or weepy.  I will never be the type to grow old either gracefully or disgracefully - just somewhere on the happy middle road I hope

BUT the point at which I pulled up sharp was when I heard a particular song and thought "Oh, that would be nice at MY funeral" - so now it's all positive thoughts and no wishing my (shortish) life away......

Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal