Author Topic: When did you know you was getting old  (Read 12303 times)

BAGGY

• Hectare
Re: When did you know you was getting old
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2005, 17:12:20 »
Myrtle - I want that too. And c'mon baby light my fire when I am cremated.  I am also going to request that it is fancy dress then my ashes can go anywhere.  I don't care coz I'll be dead.
Get with the beat Baggy

undercarriage plan

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2005, 20:13:00 »
And c'mon baby light my fire when I am cremated.
Briliiant Baggy!!  ;D ;D ;D And look!! My very first attempt at quoting!! But don't quote me...... ;D
Lottie

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2005, 07:38:30 »
I only "started" getting old this Autumn when:

(1) I stopped going down to the pub every weekend with the lads and started cycling into the countryside with a basket on my bike to just  look, listen, and learn. And gather all that food for free.

(2) Started having to use a pencil and paper to add up what used to be reasonably simple calculations.

(3) Started getting up early at the weekends voluntarily !

And have allready bought a small plot of land to have myself buried in a cardboard coffin and a Yew tree planted on it. Just love the idea of birds and squirrels nesting in it, and young lovers carving their initials on my bark.

The tune I want is "Samba Pa Ti" from the "Abraxas" album by Santana, allways thought the tune meant the "Dance Of Life" and don't want to be disabused of that belief !  lol   {:¬)#
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 07:46:26 by AikenDrum »
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2005, 09:29:27 »
AD - that's what I want to happen to my body when I'm gone. Where/how did you get it?

That's another part of getting old, I think, not being scared of your own mortality! I used to have nightmares about it as a kid. Now I just hope it's not too soon!
gone to pot :D

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2005, 09:33:08 »
Don't mind when it is, as long as it's not before my next crop comes up  .... allways late for things, so wouldn't be at all surprised if I was late for mine as well  *grinz*
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2005, 10:14:50 »
Aquqilegia, I am still scared stiff of dying just do not see the point in it. If they bring a pill out to prolong life I will be the first in the queue to take it.  I know that there are a lot of bad things that go on in the world today but the good things are still worth hanging around for.  I do wish that I could live forever.

Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2005, 12:23:56 »
Got every album he/they ever brought out    {:¬)#

undercarriage plan

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2005, 12:46:52 »
I've been through several phases in my view of death. Used to have nightmares like Aqui when young, absolutely terrified, then went through my nursing and several deaths phase ( And, no, wasn't anywhere near at the time..) then curious phase, have now entered my "well that's nothing I can do about it, and kinda intrigued" phase, am hoping I'll shut my eyes and whehay!! Flit about a bit, say hi to a few peeps and float on my merry way.....or am I back in denial again... ::) ::) ::)
Lottie

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2005, 13:31:52 »
I have every inteniton of hanging about and taking care of my sprogs long after I've departed this world - I believe very strongly in an afterlife, my grandpa has never left me and he died when I was 13 and I know this sounds freaky but I have been contacted by the spirits of other family members!

and no Aiken I haven't been on the "green" stuff - this is me being serious!
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2005, 13:56:42 »
Delilah, that was a different post, would be entirely inappropriate here.    {:¬)#

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2005, 14:03:37 »
Going to see Derek Acorah on Sunday Delilah.  Have a spare ticket!

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2005, 14:07:53 »
Aiken - I'll consider myself told off and sent to stand in the corner

Wow Heldi I wished I lived just that little bit nearer and I'd be there like a shot :)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2005, 14:28:31 »
Going to see Derek Acorah on Sunday Delilah. Have a spare ticket!

I went to see Derek Acorah in Leeds earlier this year.  Really enjoyed it.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2005, 14:49:55 »
 Hi all,  :D
              I can`t really remember when I knew I was old, does that mean I am old ???. The best way of telling (so i am told)  is when you walk past Dunne & Co, look in & think "that looks nice"
                                         Adrian.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2005, 14:53:11 »
Aiken D: Where did you find the plots? I want an oak or a chestnut over my cardboard coffin, and my hubby just wants a tree,  but we don't know where to start looking!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2005, 15:21:02 »
moonbells, my kids bought mine for me as a prezzie, but there are quite a few local councils moving over to the idea now.      {:¬)#

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2005, 15:59:13 »
lol @ wardy  They bought the plot, and are buying the coffin and tree when I'm ready to push up daisies underneath it     ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 16:01:55 by AikenDrum »

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2005, 16:14:21 »
rotfpmsl  ..... some deadly nightshade perhaps ?     ;D

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
When did you know you were getting old
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2005, 21:40:12 »
Btw, if I think the boys on University Challenge are Ssoooo young looking, would that me they'd think I'm an oulfella???Oh dear, it probably does...
I was in a museum and was showing my son the telephones we used to have. He was amazed that you have to stick your finger in and dial ! I felt all nostalgic and wanted one lol!
I HAVE one!!!

we didn't have central heating and in the morning there used to be ice on the inside of my bedroom window!!

Ditto Delilah

And from EJ-Emma Jane
One of the great things about being old, and having kids, is playing with them and not having to make excuses!  I go on the swings, whiz down the slide, build sandcastles on the beach, eat big ice creams with sprinkles......and boy are the kids embarressed!  It is great being old!   Don't have children, but do this anyway, being old, the embarrassment/self consciousness thresholds are quite high!!!

Going back to funerals, I was at one recently, well when the weather was good-early September, and they played a cd of Sarah Brightman "Time to say goodbye". It was very good. So I decided I want that but with Andrea Boccelli, then, Take That with "Want you back, want you back for Good", then I was thinking too much again, and wanted Will Young "Guess I better Leave right Now". But, maybe not!!!

Re:private burials, maybe it's not done in this country but I thought it was very hard to get permission to be buried on private land....tho' maybe if it's the local council you're getting permission from on council land......

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2005, 00:02:35 »

... to have myself buried in a cardboard coffin and a Yew tree planted on it. Just love the idea of birds and squirrels nesting in it, and young lovers carving their initials on my bark.
I want an Oak Tree and I would prefer a blanket to cardboard I think.  Can you be buried in a blanket or is there some objection to you being floppyy when you are being carried to your grave?

I am considering my music - never thought about the music side of things.  Maybe that's a sign of getting old.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal