Author Topic: Best Gigs  (Read 8515 times)

madmum

• Half Acre
Best Gigs
« on: September 04, 2005, 13:54:24 »
Was listening to Rolling Stones and eldest son said "this is not as good as Elvis"!
Felt he was old enough to tell him that before mum had children she did indeed have a real life and was lucky enough to have seen the Rolling Stones at Wembley Stadium. It was the best gig I have ever been to, although U2 on the Joshua Tree tour was outstanding!

What other gigs do peeps rate as the best they've been to?

p.s am trying to avoid taking eldest to Oxford in Nov to see Shakin Stevens, because "he's nearly Elvis Mum and I think he's just as cool!" This would be his first gig and I think it may ruin him for life!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Best Gigs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 13:59:50 »
Saw REM at Hull KC recently and that was a lifetime's ambition fulfiled - and yes it did come up to expectations.  Saw Ozric Tentacles in Bournemouth and the music tied in with the lights was ace.  Saw the Orb at De Montfort University - same comment applies.  Saw the Waterboys blow up the sound system accoustically at Rock City, saw Jesus and Mary Chain in Bristol.....

Oh just cannot choose.

But Showaddywaddy when I was about 11 does not enter the list  :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

madmum

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 14:45:01 »
should I let him see Shaky then?
Did Showaddywaddy have an impact on you?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 15:27:32 »
I can't contribute directly because I don't go to gigs as such! I used to be keen on the local folk circuits though, and did a few festivals. I reckon the best gigs I have been to though in all honesty have been those organised by our local guitar group, reported separately. There is something very exciting about seeing local talent . . .

Derekthefox  :D

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 15:31:56 »
The Pogues at Leeds Uni. (I still have the scars...!)

The Smiths at Carlisle City Hall.

Green Day anywhere!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 16:08:19 »
I was very lucky in the Sixties as I worked at Newcastle Civic Centre in the department that managed The City Hall, and the Manager would let us take up any empty seats or even stand at the back to see who ever we wanted to.  So whoever was popular in those days I have seen.  The memorables  were Jimmie Hendrix, The Who, Gene Pitney and some of the Tamla Motown Groups, with their matching satin suits and quirky dance movement.

In recent years we saw the heavy metal group Thunder at the City Hall.  At the time I loved their song "low life in high places" and much to my surprise as a Christmas present my son bought me and my OH tickets to see them.  They were great, but it was the audience that made the night with their head banging and moshing.  It is a wonder the roof didn't get blown off.  I have never seen such enthusiam and energy, but boy were my ears sore at the end of the night, I couldn't hear a thing for days afterwards. 

Someone I would love to see is James Taylor, who I have heard gives a brilliant concert.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 16:14:32 »
The Rolling Stones, Bridges to Babylon tour was brill, as was Elton John, Robbie Williams (drool) at Knebworth was pretty good, but too many peeps as he was the size of a Polly Pocket to us at the back!
In my younger days I saw the Police, they were fab too.
Terrance, hubby took daughter and friends to see Greenday earlier in the year, they said it was a good concert.
Now the ones I would like to see at the mo are the Kaiser Chiefs!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 17:02:27 »
The Pogues at Leeds Uni. (I still have the scars...!)

The Smiths at Carlisle City Hall.

Green Day anywhere!
Saw the Pogues at one of the small standing only venues at Birmingham NEC and that was a great gig - just post Rum Sodomy & the Lash.  Saw them a while later at a NEC Arena and the sound was just lost - no good at all.

...Levellers many times, Hawkwind (in various guises because I lived in Bath) loads of times, Hippy Slags (used to go round their house and half of Hawkwind would always be there - it was a squat) Ian Brown at Rock City...

Yellow Petals

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 18:30:32 »
I'm a rock fan by heart and been to some fabulous gigs but I have to say that my two favourite gigs have to be Harry Connick Jnr at the Albert Hall and BB King at Westcliff!

Someone mentioned Meatloaf, I've been a fan of his since I was about 13 (am now 38!) and I got to see him for the first time last year at Wembley.  The music completely blew me away but his voice was downright dreadful - but that may be down to the fact that he'd recently had heart surgery and wasn't top notch!!

My biggest regret is that I never got to see Queen before Freddie passed away.  They've been my favourite band for 25years and when I could eventually afford to go I passed on it and a couple of years later he died. 

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 19:51:21 »
We had a really good music club in my town when I was a teenager. Saw loads of great bands before they were famous - Oasis, Blur, Radiohead, Ocean Colour Scene. Which was great. Recently, I went to see Graham Coxon play a  solo gig which was very good.

I do like big stadium concerts too - went to see Robbie at Knebworth which was a brilliant experience (sorry Adam!  :)) taking 5 hours to get out of the car park however took the edge of it.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 19:57:31 »
my first gig, Razorlight, lets see how young you are if you know them, and they were really good, much better than i ever thought, and standing just made it so much more fun.

Oasis, were AWESUM too.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 20:01:50 »
I love Razorlight, does that make me very young!????

I listen  to their album loads at the minute, missed them in tour though, but saw them at Glastonbury (on the TV) they looked brilliant.

Are you really 15??!!! I thought that was just a joke to be honest you lied about your age!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 20:28:21 »
I was like you  Yellow Petals.  We went to see 'Meat Loaf'  2 months after his Heart Attack and I was so so disappointed.  His singing was just awful. 

During the last 20 odd years, I have seen a number of gigs. mostly in Glasgow but saw  Billy Joel at Wembley.  I thought he was not good but OH was happy!!!!

I have seen Dire Straits,  they were superb and think the best gig I have seen.   They are closely followed by Chris Rea and Chris de Burg.   Cher was quite good especially the costume changing and the backing and lighting.  I saw Tom Jones at Edinburgh Castle about 3 years ago.  He was good as well but the rain started and couldnt see much for umbrellas so I insisted we leave earliesh!!   My OH hasa had the pleasure of seeing Bryan Adams couple of years back.  I was asked to go but I said NO.  Oh dear, big mistake, wish I had gone now.  He has also seen U2 at Murrayfield also Jimmy Paige and Robert Plant again at Glasgow.  The biggest regret?   not seeing Freddie Mercury and Queen.  I would have loved to have seen them in concert.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 21:14:37 »
Tina Turner, 11 or so years ago now, but she was awesome!! Also remember my Grandad taking me to see Cliff Richard!! Must have been 25 years ago, I was smitten!! Talk Talk excellent (love drums!) And Madness superb. Not been recently, but would love to see The Judds, or a Blue Grass band, Sigh...Lottie ;D

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2005, 21:41:33 »

I listen  to their album loads at the minute, missed them in tour though, but saw them at Glastonbury (on the TV) they looked brilliant.

Are you really 15??!!! I thought that was just a joke to be honest you lied about your age!

i would say yes that makes you young, VERY if you had said that about six months ago when they wernt even heard of. thye ahve only had two songs but have really hit it big, there meant to be the biggest up andcoming band, still laugh that Jonny got stuck on the speaker when he decided to climb up it at the apollo, bet he didnt do that again!

And yes im 15! DOb: 15/11/89!

madmum

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2005, 22:24:07 »
Yellow Petals
I was at the Royal ALbert Hall yonks ago to see Harry Connick Junior.
Must confess to waiting outside for him afterwards (said it was yonks ago) Got him to sign my programme and got a kiss as well

Would have loved to have been at the R.A.H to see Robbie do Swing when you're winning.

Genesis at Wembley was another good one,
would love to see Coldplay.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2005, 23:04:06 »
I was a lucky girl and worked for a record company before the sproggles came along so got to attend masses of concerts.  Couldn't put my finger on who was the best, Fine Young Cannibals was the first, saw INXS was the most.  U2, very dissapointing as the lovely Bono started ranting on about politics!, Simple Minds were great, took my darling dad to see his hero, Elton, lots of times.  Sting at the Albert Hall was great as we had seats at the very side of the stage, and Eric Clapton and Wembly stadium made me cry when he sung Wonderful Tonight! 

I love music, and love to see musicians and singers doing their stuff!

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2005, 23:18:38 »
Gosh, I just love live music. Best gigs can cover so much. Love going to our local for the fortnightly blues(ish) jam session - some of them are so good. Free lunchtime concert at the festival Hall just before christmas listening to The Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain was such fun. Bruce Springsteen at Wembley, Pink Floyd doing the Wall at Earls Court, Paul McCartney there more recently, I could go on. Its just great isn't it?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2005, 07:34:49 »
Meatloaf at Wembley Stadium 5 years ago.  He was absolutely wonderful, I was in ecstasy!  OH just stayed sitting down quietly while I was up singing and dancing with the stranger next to me!  I don't know how he could just sit there!  I have converted my daughter so we listen together now but she loves Greenday too and was at the concert that DP's daughter went to, which she too enjoyed. She is keeping an eye out for when Meatfloaf next does a tour.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2005, 22:44:46 »

i would say yes that makes you young, VERY if you had said that about six months ago when they wernt even heard of. thye ahve only had two songs but have really hit it big, there meant to be the biggest up andcoming band, still laugh that Jonny got stuck on the speaker when he decided to climb up it at the apollo, bet he didnt do that again!

And yes im 15! DOb: 15/11/89!

Sorry to sound fawny but I am a bit awestruck - your name stuck in my brain because you gave me some excellent advice when I first took on the plot over on the beeb - have to admit I thought you were telling porkies as well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal