Author Topic: Brassica seedling. How much light?  (Read 3534 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Brassica seedling. How much light?
« on: March 16, 2015, 18:21:21 »
My brassicas have started putting in a show, but with no sunshine I am worried they will go leggy. So I have put them under my SAD lamp.  How many hours of extra light do you think they need per day?

Does anyone know how they decide when to put the coteledons out and stop getting taller?  I find if they get too tall then when the real leaves appear they fall over.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 18:24:14 by Digeroo »

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Brassica seedling. How much light?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 18:33:09 »
With brassicas mine are all out in the unheated greenhouse which gets more light than indoors - but it is through a veil of bubble-wrap as well as all the cloud we've had recently.  I've never known them get very leggy in the same way that my tomatoes do on the windowsills.

Are yours indoors or out in a greenhouse?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 19:40:05 »
In the days when I used to use lights I planned them as follows: 

At this time of the year I put them on a timer to come on two hours before sunrise and go off two hours after sunset, this fitted in pretty much with late spring early summer conditions

I got the sunrise/ sunset times from my diary!

Another reason was my greenhouse is surrounded on two sides by two neighbours hedges from hell  so I had to try and improve the light levels, as after lunch time my greenhouse was virtually in the dark.

But regarding brassicas I didn't have as much  of a problem with these as these remained in the packet usually till the last week in March or the first week in April.

So by the time I needed increased light for these the days were at least an hour longer anyhow!

So to answer your question I would suggest a couple of hours morning and night and if you can afford it leave them on all day as well

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:13:13 »
I will do as you suggest TG and sow some more end March. But I do like early broccoli.  I  normally managed to get them planted out in April and eat them when there is not much else around.   

It may not be worth the expense of the light, I can hopefully buy a pack of 12 plants for less than £2. Hopefully the sun will put in an appearance today and get them excited for free.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 12:23:35 »
I've just potted my cauliflower and purple sprouting on into modules. No lights, no heat, just in the unheated greenhouse. They seem about right to me. not leggy just as I would expect . Savoy and sprout seeds just been sown in the greenhouse. I only do about 2 dozen seeds at a time mixed with sharp sand to get a thinner mix then they are not all clambouring each other forcing each other up.

I say it is not heated but I have left the door open today as it is a bit warm in there. It was also sited on an old brick paver floor. I expect the bricks act like storage heaters for part of the night.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 16:56:38 »
I am rather lazy I simply put one seed in each of a 12 module, if they do not come up I pop in another seed.  If they are slightly later that is good, so not want 12 broccoli in one week.  Sometimes the first seed puts in a late appearance.  On the windowsill so warmed by the radiator as well.

Will do some purple sprouting as well,  used to go straight outside but the slugs, deer, etc etc hoover them off.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 16:59:17 »
I admit that as it is still pretty chilly here I haven't thought much about cabbagey things! As I am in a flat I sow them in a sheltered corner on the plot, cover them and hope for the best. Perhaps that should be a job for this weekend.....
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 20:14:38 »
Despite my best attempts some have keeled over.  One tray of 12 are great about an inch high and very sturdy and though they were started together the other tray are twice as tall and some have flopped over.  Not the same seeds but otherwise similar.  Hopefully they will be fine when planted out. 

I tend to start 24 assorted brassicas early inside.  The rest I will hopefully buy from the market.  The guy is great but he has muttering about retiring so I hope he is doing another year or that someone else will take over the pitch. 

Got a slug, can see the trails, I will have to creep up on the retched thing in the dark.  Not sure how it got in.

It was really hot today, out in my bare arms. Unheard of for me in March.  But still cold at night.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal