Author Topic: damson rum? with brown sugar?  (Read 7115 times)

TISH

• Quarter Acre
damson rum? with brown sugar?
« on: December 07, 2009, 11:14:39 »
Read in one of bob flowerdews books that damson rum with brown sugar is very tasty but no recipe given (very frustrating). He said to use the 'strong rum' which I have done...but now would like to add the sugar and no idea how to do it. Anyone ever sweetened their fruit liquors with brown sugar before?
Thanks

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: damson rum? with brown sugar?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 16:35:25 »
The only way is to sip it and see which should be quite good fun.

Add some sugar, shake or stir well, have a wee snifter - and keep going till it suits your taste.   Hic!
Obxx - Vendée France

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:15:20 »
I made some a couple of years ago using brown sugar and plums (did not have any damsons)

Still got it, it tastes like benilin to me, so am waiting to get a cough to use it up.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 19:12:43 »
It sounds good to me!! I have plums steeped in rum, brandy or vodka, every morning to top my real oatmeal porridge, and very morish it is too. I do not add sugar as it makes it too sweet for my taste. I made 9 litres this year. After you have used the fruit, there is the fruit tasting "liqueur" to drink.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:21:35 »
I've a basic recipe that I use for all fruit booze as I find it'll get you in the ballpark no matter what and you can always adjust the recipe for next year...

1 lb of fruit
6oz of sugar
2 pint plastic milk bottle.

Wash out the milk bottle thoroughly, put the fruit in it, put the sugar on top of the fruit, fill it to within an inch of the top with booze, leave it in the garage, shake it every day you remember to until the sugar has dissolved, bottle after 2-3 months or so....it'll be about a wine-bottle full....

Don't just throw away the fruit when you strain it off to bottle it, quite a lot of them make good boozy puddings, ice-cream toppings etc.....

chrisc

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 12:58:43 »
I've never bothered with the sugar either but I guess it could add a rather nice element especially if you use sugar that has been vanilla'd by keeping a chopped vanilla pod in the sugar container

I just push damsons into bottles of rum, vodka, etc, same with any other fruit such as red currants - vodka goes a fantastic colour  8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal