Author Topic: Pumpkin Pie Tins  (Read 1673 times)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Pumpkin Pie Tins
« on: December 11, 2009, 21:57:24 »
After trying various recipes for Pumpkin pie, I realised that my 9 in pie tin was far too shallow for the usual quantities given in recipes, as I always had filling left over.
After searching all over town, I finally found an 8 in(actually 9 in rim) x 2 in deep with sloping sides, tin at Lakeland which will do nicely, with no more filling left over.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Pumpkin Pie Tins
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 04:57:13 »
You didn't think of halving the recipe and making a smaller pie then?

realfood

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 18:11:52 »
I did but using a can of evaporated milk, it leads to a certain total quantity of filling, without completely altering the recipe. Some recipes suggest using 2 smaller pie tins, but that leads to rather skinny pies. It is actually quite difficult to find 2 in deep pie tins in the UK, which is the traditional size in the USA.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:58:43 »
 The recipes usually use  for a deep dish pie plate. I can give you the volume of one if it would help XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

realfood

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 18:53:51 »
Used my new pumpkin pie tin today for the first time, and no surplus mixture! ;D
Using a typical traditional pumpkin pie recipe (2 cups cooked pumpkin, 1 can evaporated milk, 3 eggs, 100 grams of sugar, 3 tsp of mixed spice), makes up to a volume of just over 1 litre. You have to add a volume for the pastry, some 350 ml. Therefore, you should aim for a total volume of your pie tin of some 1.5 litres, which you can check by first filling the pie tin with water and then pour the water into a measuring jug.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal