Author Topic: Lilly question  (Read 1494 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Lilly question
« on: March 29, 2007, 09:22:11 »
If I wasnt showing my ignorance enough with my dahlia questions here's a silly lilly question.

I have a few lilly tubers/bulbs/things. Due to space etc I have planted some of these in tubs and some have yet to be planted.

Will the rest be ok to go outside and if so will they be ok or would it be best to leave them in tubs in the greenhouse and bring them out in better weather. If so what size tubs are best?

Cutting lillies - if I cut the lillies will the plant be ok, will it grow flowers again that year?

If all is successful how do you increase the number of plants?

Glow

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
Re: Lilly question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 09:38:18 »
I know nothing about liles either, but I got five free bulbs with an order a couple of years ago. I didn't know what to do with them so I bunged them in a square pot that's about 15" across. they've been in there ever since and seem to just come back year after year with no care or attention. the pot is actually under a bird feeder so they end up covered in seed and poo but it doesn't seem to do them any harm! they stay in the same pot in the garden all year round.

I was in the garden this morning and noticed that they've just started to show their noses again. I seem to remember from last year that they develop scales in the forks of the flower stems that dropped off and started to develop into mini-lilies, so that's probably as good a way as any to propagate them! don't know about cutting them, never tried it. they grow quite tall, to about 5' including the pot.

I guess it depends on the type of lily, ignoring mine seems to work well but yours may be less hardy!
here's a couple of pics of them in full bloom (if anyone can tell me what they are I'd be very grateful!):

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:40:39 by norfolklass »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 13:00:27 »
This bit of info might help;  http://tinyurl.com/vye2w

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 09:35:59 »
just wanted to add that if you have cats and want to have cut lilies indoors, please make sure the cats can't get to the lilies as they're toxic:

http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/easter_lily.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal