Author Topic: Rudolf Steiner and "bio-dynamics"  (Read 879 times)

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
Rudolf Steiner and "bio-dynamics"
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:46:18 »
I notice that some time ago there was a thread about “bio-dynamic” horticulture. It started with comments about the moon, after which it seemed to peter out. People seem bashful about Rudolf Steiner methods.

When I started to formulate a reply to that thread, I was informed I might want to start a new thread because the old one had faded away…… so here goes!

In my view, only water in the great oceans is noticably pulled about by the moon’s gravity, and furthermore, the moon’s influence on the tides is not much greater than that of the sun. Spring tides occur when the sun and moon are in line with Earth, while neaps happen when the sun, moon and earth form a right angle. It is also interesting to note that seas like the Mediterranean and Baltic seas experience little if no tide at all. Sea levels in those places are affected primarily by the wind and atmospheric pressure. On the other hand, the tidal rises we know from the UK are far greater than in the open oceans or, for example Denmark, where I live. This great rise is due to funnelling of the ocean astronomic tidal wave.

What I’d like to know is, if the Baltic sea experiences no tide, how is the moon supposed to affect ground water levels or plant growth? I expect there is no logical answer to that question, but that some people have experiences to back up the idea that “bio-dynamic” methods are successful.

Before I start experimenting with such esoteric ideas, I would like to hear any account that relates successful growing to phases of the moon. Fire away please!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Rudolf Steiner and "bio-dynamics"
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 14:51:01 »
You might have opened a can 'o'worms here!!!
I have done plenty of research on this, and strangely, it seems to work!
in the series (and DVD)  'A Year @ Kew' it was tried, with great success on a range of plants.
Biodynamic wine is supposed to be better than conventionally grown / produced, and the crops fetch a premium price.
If you send me your address, I'll post you last years moon planting guide (for you to read and perhaps be enlightened) I've got this years for myself  ;)
I have a mate who grows Biodynamically, he's a veggie, and relies on his allottment for most of his food, His crops put most of the other plotholders to shame on his site. He's about to start keeping bees according to biodynamic princiuples, that will be an interesting experiment, I'm sure!!
rgds, Tony (on the East coast) Englandland
You couldn't make it up!

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 21:18:45 »
For the past two years I bought the "In tune with the moon" calendar with every intention of taking it seriously.

The problem was, I didn't always want to wait until 3am next Thursday fortnight to plant a row of lettuce. I once went to my plot at 10am, consulted the calendar and had to wait until 2:45 in the after noon. That gave me 15 minutes to plant ALL my potatoes before I had to go get the kids from school. Either that or wait another month or so for the next favorable conditions.

I have absolutely no doubt it works so I'm not anti biodynamic, I just don't think it's very practical or at all easy to rigidly adhere to.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 23:10:51 »
sticking to any calendar whilst sorting out kids and school can be a bit of fun!! ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal