General > News

Allotment Play Feedback

(1/3) > >>

damian5:
I'm researching a play that I want to set on two adjoining allotments somewhere in the north of England. It's going to be set against a backdrop of the recent Gulf War and have two people discussing the war over their allotment fence. I don't know much about allotments and the language used but would welcome any feedback/ideas/scenarios from anyone out there. Thanks!

Mrs Ava:
The only thing I can say about our lottie is, we don't have fences seperating us.  As for the language used, well, on our lottie it tends to be along the lines of...... bl**dy mares tail......sh***y stinging nettles.....and mines bigger than yours (in the nicest possible way of course!)  ;D  Good luck with the play, I don't think I have ever heard of this being done before.

Ceri:
forget the gulf war - use two characters one pro-chemicals, one fiercely organic and let the sparks fly!!

just make sure you set it out so any veg you show are in the right season!

damian5:
Hi cerig

I like the idea of the organic vs. chemical debate. Could you let me know about the kind of oragnic treatments & chemicals used on lotties? Thank you!

Ceri:
v. v. general, organic gardeners will not use any chemically derived product - weedkiller, growth enhancers, chemical slug killers because of both the environmental effect, getting into water supply, affecting the food chain etc.
Organic gardeners will use more natural products - compost, organic fertilizers, encourage natural predators by planting certain flowers etc.  They still kill pests but not chemically e.g. drowning slugs in beer rather than using chemicals that can harm the birds etc. that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version