Author Topic: Hello - and pinching out Morning Glory  (Read 9176 times)

ellkebe

• Hectare
Hello - and pinching out Morning Glory
« on: April 14, 2005, 14:08:02 »
Hi, I've just spent an hour or so this morning reading through posts, followed by a few hours - into the pm! - acting on all the great advice on here!

There was a thread a little earlier about pinching out Morning Glory.  I'm growing from seed for the first time this year, and first thing this morning was looking at my MGs and wondering if they were going to need 'bushing up'.  Most seedlings have got at least one pair of true leaves.  Any advice on how many pairs they should have before pinching out?

Also, should Black Eye Susie's also be pinched out, and if so, when?

Many thanks for any advice.

Ellkebe

Marianne

• Hectare
Re: Hello - and pinching out Morning Glory
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 15:22:09 »
No idea ellkebe.  My morning glories are climbing a stick like mad and I will put them out in about a month's time.  They have several leaves that I would hate to pinch out, unless of course, someone "in the know" would say otherwise.

??? ;)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 17:44:51 »
Hi Marianne, I was wondering that too. Did you get the seeds with a gardening mag. was it AG or GW...I'm still wondering about the pinching out. I lost some of them the other weekend, but have started more and they've come through okay.It didn't say in the magazine about pinching out and I've never done it but saw that post as well.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 18:20:03 »
Hi Val, No I got the seeds from a friendly member of A4A.

Only one germinated from the first batch and is doing wonderfully.  In fact, I do not know what to put in the pot next for it to climb onto - the stick is nearly 2 foot long! ::) :D

Then I planted more seeds and 6 germinated.  Unfortunately I put them out and they took a turn for the worse when we had that cold spell but survived.  :D Their first leaves "dried" out but they have now produced their second leaves and look healthy.  I do not believe they need pinching out.  None of my gardening books talk about pinching out but I will do a search on Google just to be sure.   ;) :D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 19:46:28 »
i've never pinched them out and by the end of june you need a machete they grow so  well...i dont think you pinch out BES either.....
kitty :)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 13:32:19 »
Thanks all - I'll just let them do their own thing then!  I prefer the relaxed, hands off, sit back with a cup of tea approach to gardening anyway  :)
I think I'd better go and find some sticks though ...

Ellkebe

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 20:58:29 »
Hi Ellkebe,

I have had to find much longer sticks that the initial ones !

The plants have reached the top of the 2 foot stick .... and I am wondering what to do next as they are branching out even more. ??? 

It is too early to put them out so I am now nervously looking at the 2 metre sticks but fear my OH may think I have lost the plot completely as my windowsills are starting to look like little jungles ... ::) and what with 2 metre sticks, they will reach the ceiling ,....   ??? ::) 

So I am hoping Mr Sun warms the ground pretty quick so that I can plant them outside !   8)

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 20:48:04 »
Two foot sticks? Branching out?! Little jungles?!! Ok - you're just showing off now!! ;)

Mine have all stuck at about 3 inches! and - disaster - one of them suddenly started to wilt today (first decent day in about a week, so how b****y contrary is that?!)

Everyone seems to think that they're worth all the mollycoddling eventually.  I've never actually seen one in the flesh - or whatever the plant equivalent is -?? - so hope that's the case!!

Ellkebe

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 21:16:31 »
Hi Ellkebe  :D

This is the tallest one! God knows what I am going to use next for it to cling onto  ??? ;D Roll on the good weather so that I can put them all out  :D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 22:22:25 »
flippin 'ek marrianne!
i think that ones going to take over the world-inspired by your posts i planted my 7 on into their final big pot as they were large enough-within half an hour one had found a cane and was starting to twirl!
dop you think they are an alien force bent on world domination? ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 22:39:53 »
LOL Kitty !  ;D ;D

Scary heh !?  And I have got another 10 like that indoors but this is the largest one ! 

Sown some more today with lots of other stuff.  Soon I will see Tarzan swing from them !  ;D
Are yours in the garden or the greenhouse??

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 16:52:40 »
they are .ahem!..in the bloomin kitchen!-i mean-how many times can my OH roll his eyes and say-this plants in the way-
after all the canes are only 5 footers.....and the windowsills are all full   and the bathrooms full of seedlings.....
i think i should have put the conservatory up first.....but i couldn't wait-still-only 2 weeks to wait til planning give their consent! ;D
then they'll be in there-and so will everything else!
kitty ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 16:59:08 »
 ;D ;D ;DJust can't stop laughing at all the triffids. Its our own fault for being so hasty . I put some seeds straight in the ground last summer they were just as good as those started off indoors but patience never was my virtue.We all need cellars with holes in the ceiling.... ;D
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 17:13:33 »
hahah!val-you wont need a hole cutting-that triffid 'll bash its way thru! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 20:01:18 »
Hi Marianne

The picture of your triffid has been a bit of a life saver over here.  OH has been getting increasingly vocal about the lack of window sills but your photo shut him up pretty quickly :)

Of course, he may just be pondering what he's let himself in for ....

Ellkebe

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 20:44:17 »
My OH has just read this complete thread and can't stop laughing !  ;D ;D

He is pleased he is not the only one suffering from lack of space and what with no windowsills to spare for his own little bits.  ;D ;D

I have got larger sticks out there but can't see the point of repositioning them as the plants keep growing taller and taller.  In fact, I read today they can reach 10 metres !  :o :P :o and OH is now panic stricken !  ;D ;D
The rest for later .... :D

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 21:33:48 »
;D Morning Glory, Mine have been pinched. Did this last year and they had better flowers lower down the stem. Lots of water and a weak feed with tomato food worked well for me.

Growing Blackeyed Susan for the first time this year. All my seeds germinated, I soaked them overnight. They are on their third set of real leaves and looking good. Any tips would be welcome, such as best position?

Try some Morning Glory in with the runner beans or up a sunflower. Tried to buy some MG seeds on eBay last year, the item was taken off by eBay, something about hallucinogenic drugs!!!!!!!!!
Supernan!!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 08:04:29 »
oo-er! ;)far out .......
well..they got 'em there this year!

having thought about this-and seeing marriannes are trying to take over the world ;D-i think the best idea would be to stop them in their prime as'twer when they get as high as you can cope with.....
i've got bes too supernan,but i havent had the same  success rate as yours-i didnt know to soak them-another one that on the packet didn't say to soak is cerinthe major-having put them in i see from sarah ravens cutting garden book i should've soaked..grr! :(
o well-suck it an see! :)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 19:57:45 »
I've now pinched out some of the MG and will see which do best.

I wondered why I was having no luck with cerinthe major - only one germinated  :(  As you say Kitty, no instruction on the packet to soak them.  I'll be trying again at the weekend.

Ellkebe

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 20:18:55 »
o berhooger!
right-i'm digging them out the compost and soaking them-they've only been in 2 days!
grr!
kitty ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal