Author Topic: box hedge  (Read 1936 times)

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
box hedge
« on: April 20, 2005, 00:05:20 »
i planted 10 box hedge about a month ago and now all the leaves at the top have started to go yellow, they are i quite a sheltered area which is south-east facing, and are growing behind a wall (whitch is about a foot tall). any tips as to where i may be going wrong?
I have quite a clay based soil if this makes any difference

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Re: box hedge
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 01:29:36 »
I am hoping for you that it is just new growth.  New leaves are light green, and all my box have put on a sudden growth spurt recently of which is quite yellowy.  I guess you only have to worry if they start to look withered an so on.

Monty Don was talking about a box virus which is going round though.  New thing.  There might be something on the beeb's GW web site about it.   Unfortunately I can't remember the symptoms now.  Head like a sieve.  :P
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: box hedge
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 18:22:40 »
Like Charlotte, I think it could be the new growth.  But if the leaves are definately yellow as opposed to pale green, then it could be magnesium deficiency.  You could try giving them a liberal spray with either Epsom Salts or liquid seaweed.  Neither will do any harm and who knows, it might even cure it.

I heard last year about some kind of box disease but IIRC that made the leaves go brown, not yellow.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal