Produce > Edible Plants

Seed Saving Circle 2023

<< < (4/50) > >>

garrett:
I use organza bags to stop pollinating insects. Here's a picture of the Jimmy Nardello bagged until I notice fruit forming:

markfield rover:
I’ll pop up a list shortly, but and I am saying this quietly fingers crossed and all that , I managed to germinate tomato Blaby Special, the seed was ten years old and I had saved it from the seed sent out from a doctor at Lancaster university who was trying to reintroduce it  to Blaby in Leicestershire, MIL who remembered the tomatoes (she was local) she was one of the original recipients. I did share the seed on here many years ago but I don’t know if it’s still grown much .

galina:
Yes the variety is still grown in my garden MR, not every year, but from time to time and I have a small seed portion in the freezer for back up too.  They always did well for me in Northamptonshire.  Haven't grown them here yet though.  Thank you for offering again to keep this variety going and glad they germinated well. 

JanG:
Thanks for the photo, Garrett. I think yours are outdoors? Mine are in a polytunnel and I think lack of wind to aid pollen distribution is probably the difference. I need to do more jiggling when mine are in their bags. I’ve managed to set fruit on Capriglio Rosso this year by isolating it. I’ve enjoyed this sweet pepper as it has particularly thick walls.

A great background to Blaby Special, Markfield Rover, with its specific connection to both Blaby and your grandmother. Great to keep this variety going. I wonder whether anyone else still grows it apart from you and the small band of seed circle past and hopefully present and future. All the more important for us to keep it going. Hope it grows well for you this season.

Thank you for the further insight into the Girl Girl tomato, Galina. The mind does indeed boggle. Ciliegia also doing well for me - one plant under cover and one outdoors. I’m growing all the ‘icicle’ varieties we shared last year. Pink Icicle in particular romped away and gained height very quickly. I’m also interested to try the different ‘Ambrosia’ varieties for their sweetness. Great pleasures to come!

galina:
Blaby Special has its own Wikipedia entry!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaby_Special

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version