Produce > Pests & Diseases

Black fly

<< < (2/2)

tricia:
Same here for my Sunburst cherry tree  saddad. Last year I had the same problem and cut out the infected new growth only to see the curled sticky mess again this year.  Is there any way of preventing it happening? The Morello cherry never has aphids - but has dropped at least half of this year's crop due to lack of water in May!

Tricia  :wave:

saddad:
Mine were a sunburst and a summer sun.. the Napoleon wasn't as bad. I don't know of any preventative measure but somebody on here might!

AnnieD:

--- Quote from: BarriedaleNick on June 05, 2020, 18:54:28 ---My climbing beans got blackfly before they even started twisting round the bamboo!
Should not have put them so close to the broadies!

--- End quote ---

Exactly the same for me Nick!

I'm doing the soapy water because I never use chemicals on my plot. But seriously worried it's not going to work. Does anyone use spray on blackfly? Don't want to, but don't want to lose my beans  :sad10:

Obelixx:
Soapy water is bad for the predators like ladybirds, wasps and lacewings that will eat your blackfly.  Tits and sparrows that feed them to their nestlings won't like it either.

Can you squish with your fingers and use a blast from a hosepipe while you wait for the predators to arrive?  Or some garlic spray?

AnnieD:
I will try the garlic spray - not many ladybirds at the moment. It's got onto my french beans too  :hmh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version