Author Topic: Sweet peas  (Read 20848 times)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Sweet peas
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2020, 16:48:25 »
In my opinion sweet peas are best sown the end of October ad grown hard through the winter, but that is just my way. I live in the south. I grow for shows .

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2020, 17:09:21 »
I normally find that if I sow them in October that something has eaten them before the end of the winter.  I used to put them on top of the waterbutt.  But once the mice found there was a treat awaiting them somehow they got up there. 
I have just invested in some root trainers, with a lid, perhaps that will be the answer.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2020, 13:19:46 »
It was really too hot and dry here last year so we had very few flowers form a late January sowing last year.

This year I sowed them in early November, a whole packet in a big 60cm pot.   We've had warm, frosts, wet, dry, gale force winds and mists and gentle breezes.

So far 2 have popped and grown about 4"/10cm high.  This morning I see another has popped.  Fingers crossed for more as three are going to look ridiculous.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2020, 17:59:30 »
Al sows hers  in January in a cold greenhouse.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2022, 20:28:24 »
I have just sown mine  . Something nice to look forward to  :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2023, 19:22:56 »
I remember back in the early 80s I lived in a house in North West Sheffield on top of a hill on the foothills of the Pennines. I grew some sweet peas and when they eventually died back and dried up  I put them, pods and all, on the waste ground opposite thinking they would rot down.
 Lo and behold next year sweet peas turned up again there with a brilliant show of blooms!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 19:24:35 by George the Pigman »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal