General > Pets Corner

Dulcie, not feeling himself

<< < (3/6) > >>

Paulines7:

--- Quote from: Tulipa on July 24, 2017, 13:04:00 ---Pauline I have one of those dispensers after seeing a vet use one, I can sometimes manage it with Millie but will try with butter next time, might just help. thank you :)  She is an absolute devil if she knows she is going to be given a tablet or flea treatment!

--- End quote ---

I also saw on Youtube that there were treats called "Pill Pockets".  The wraps the pill completely so the cat is fooled into thinking it is a treat.  Unfortunately, pill pockets are made in the USA and are therefore quite expensive to buy in this country given the postage that is added.

I used to have a cat called Kylie and found it very difficult to get pills down her.  I had to wrap her in a towel using it as a straight jacket and even with someone else helping, I used to get deep scratches down my arms which would bleed. 

Borlotti:
Barnet vets gave me two pill pockets to try, and they were brilliant the first time.  But he soon decided not to eat them, after I had paid for some more, luckily they were not too expensive. But he is taking his pills hidden in his prescription cat food, but if he doesn't eat them give him some cat soup and he is OK with pills until 11pm tonight.  Photos to follow. Am trying to get my son to make him a cat box high up so he doesn't keep sleeping on the fridge/freezer, kitchen cupboards or behind the freezer.

Borlotti:
Thought Dulcie had gone out in the storm on Saturday (after a bad evening at the emergency vet) so was searching the garden indoors for him, but OH said on Sunday I see a cat.  He his found another hiding place. Had to help him get down as he has never been up there. Spoke to the vet today and said it is a bad sign if they want to hide away.  Hopefully the pills will make him better, or another trip to the vet.

Hector:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FELINE-GREENIES-POCKETS-Treats-Chicken/dp/B001FSJCPK/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1500930489&sr=8-37&keywords=Pet+medicine+pocket

Silverleaf:
Lidl have some soft "cat chew sticks", 10 for 65p in 4 different flavours. My Pixel absolutely loves them but he doesn't get them often because he's at the top end of the weight range for his size and I'd like him a little bit slimmer.

Anyway I bet they'd be a great way to deliver small pills if you broke them into pieces and cut a little slit in the side.

I was reading that it's helpful to use three treats each time to stop them getting wise to the fact that the yummy treats have nasty pills and refusing them. The first treat is unadulterated, second has the medication, and the third is plain to take the taste away. I think Pix is too smart for that, but he's also extremely fond of food so who knows?

Hope Dulcie is starting to feel better, poor puss!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version