Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Who is the landlord?

(1/5) > >>

plotplod:
Hi. New to the site but allotment holder for several years and my question concerns the definition in the Allotment Act that states approximately that the landlord of a site is the one who collects the rent and gains from it.
We are self managed so the committee collects the rent from the plot holders, the council collects rent from the committee then the land owner collects rent from the council and the land owner collects rent from the council.
Is the landlord the superior land owner or the council  or the committee?

BarriedaleNick:
Well normally the landlord would be the landowner and that would in general be the Council.  Odd that the council is renting the land from someone else - are you sure about that?

plotplod:
Yes - its a local rich landowner who has given the land for allotments. My first thoughts are that HE is the superior landlord, that the council are the normal landlords although they do not profit from the land.
I am being told it is the committee because they collect rent from us the plot holders but they don't profit from the land or the rent (presumably) so to me they are agents much as in property renting.
? any clues?

daveyboi:
I would say it depends on for what purpose you wish to define "the landlord"

For the responsibilities for example such as insurance and public liability etc the committee would be the landlord as set out in their agreement with the council.

In as to actually owns the ground it would be the rich land owner who then has probably leased it to the council who has then sub let it to the committee.

If your enquiry was to find out who actually owns the title deeds I suggest looking at the land registry for details.

Bill Door:
I think you first have to look at your allotment agreement and see if that defines who is the landowner/landlord.  Once you have that then you can raise your query/request with them.  They will then have to decide whether it is their problem to answer or correct. If not then they have to refer to their land agreement and refer the query/request up the line. 

If you really want/need to know then I would suggest that you obtain legal advice.

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version