Author Topic: Water storing gel questions🤔  (Read 2278 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Water storing gel questions🤔
« on: June 04, 2016, 12:03:20 »
I have a packet of these from the £ shop without instruction.
*Firstly how much gel to a 12 inch hanging basket?
*Should I wet the gel first?
*When the growing season has ended what is the best way to dispose of the gel and compost mix?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Water storing gel questions🤔
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 13:04:46 »

*Firstly how much gel to a 12 inch hanging basket?
*Should I wet the gel first?
*When the growing season has ended what is the best way to dispose of the gel and compost mix?

I usually make up my compost mixture for a number of baskets at the one time so I am never too specific with my quantities but as a guide I would measure out a basketful of compost and add one or two measures* of gel and one or two measures of slow release pellets to the compost.

Then I mix it thouroghly with my hands until I see that the gel and fertiliser are well distributed throughout the mix, then I fill and plant up the baskets and hang them up in my chosen spot.

Once they are in place I give the basket a good soaking and that's it!

* I use a measuring spoon that is about one inch or slightly larger in diameter.

At the end of the season I just break up the rootball and throw it in the compost heap!

To be honest I don't think you do any harm if you over do it, all you will end up with is lumps of gel appearing like blobs of frog spawn on the surface of the compost if you do!

Another tip on the subject of watering baskets is sink a small 2"-3" pot into the compost before you plant the basket up then fill this when watering your baskets this ensures the water gets down to the roots at the foot of the rootball, rather than just flowing off the surface of the compost.

I also put a piece of plastic in the bottom of my basket before filling it with compost to act as a saucer to hold some water in, that is: it forms a small reservoir.

I hope this helps!

ps. Make a note of what you do do, then you can plus or minus the quantities next year if needs be!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Water storing gel questions🤔
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 14:41:05 »
Thanks TEe Gee,

Good sound advice as always👍🏻
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal