Author Topic: Sweet corn seed  (Read 7802 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Sweet corn seed
« on: March 14, 2016, 22:35:48 »
Hi all there aren't any sweet corn in the lidl aldi ranges this year and so I wondered where the best spots to get good value packets are. X sun loving

dlandreth

Re: Sweet corn seed
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 23:02:28 »
any good garden center with seed rack should be fine. cost and varieties may vary.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 07:22:07 »
Sunloving,

http://www.brownenvelopeseeds.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=corn&Submit=

Here is the sweetcorn offered by Brown Envelope Seeds.  BES are very similar in philosophy to RealSeeds in England and they offer a sweet corn and a popcorn.

I have used this company (they send here too) and their seeds are good. But they are a heritage seed company and don't carry the hybrid seeds you may be after.  However their seeds are grown in Ireland so should be better adapted to your climate.   :wave:

PS: no advertising intended, I have no connections with this seed company

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:32:44 »
I am a fan of early bird from Moles.  One packet has 250 and can be planted for succession.   

Prices at garden centres do not compare well with Lidl. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:08:57 »
Gallina that's brilliant what a fab company, I'm going to have a rummage! 
Sunloving,

http://www.brownenvelopeseeds.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=corn&Submit=

Here is the sweetcorn offered by Brown Envelope Seeds.  BES are very similar in philosophy to RealSeeds in England and they offer a sweet corn and a popcorn.

I have used this company (they send here too) and their seeds are good. But they are a heritage seed company and don't carry the hybrid seeds you may be after.  However their seeds are grown in Ireland so should be better adapted to your climate.   :wave:

PS: no advertising intended, I have no connections with this seed company

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 09:13:01 »
Ooh brilliant site to thankyou, I'm still in pjs looking at seed websites when I should be out already, it's that good!!

Nicky's Nursey is quite good..
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/garden-shop/seeds/vegetable-seed/s/sweet-corn-earliking-50-vegetable-seeds/all

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 09:51:01 »
If there's a lovely pot of tea too then it's just so right.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 12:05:11 »
wilcos do incredible  sweetcorn seeds 3for2 works out about £3.50 for 3 packets  they are very easy to grow and realy reliable cropper hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 12:27:40 »
I had amazing results with Special Swiss sweetcorn from the Real Seeds Catalogue last year ... cobs were very sweet, not the biggest but I got an average of 3 per plant which I've never had before.

Real seeds certainly aren't the cheapest - but their seeds are always open pollinated varieties so you can keep your own seed for ever for free if you collect and dry them!  I'm just doing a germination test on the sweetcorn seeds I saved last year.  I really hope it works - as I've never saved sweetcorn seeds before.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 13:41:08 »
I have always got my seeds from wilkinsons including sweetcorn and they have all worked well
Barnsley S Yorks

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 12:32:23 »
You can't beat the seed saving circle on here for good value, though.

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 08:02:01 »
After a good rummage on some brilliant seed sites and spending lots the seeds are arriving. Yesterday from the brown envelope company lovely bantam corn mixed squash and jelly melon! Might even have a road trip to visit them! And for the first time might have varieties interesting enough to join next years seed swap! Fingers crossed! X sun loving

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 10:36:43 »
Ooooh if you do go and visit, let us know how you get on, I bet it is amazing  :toothy10:

If you feel like it you could always join this years Seed Circle? Still space and with all your seeds arriving you might find there is something you'd like to add in....

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 08:56:00 »
Hi jayb i need to get my courage up to join the circle, have just found some more things from goodlife that I'm going to try to bulk up this year. What do you think, I'm doing her salmon flowered and Alaskan early peas, the jelly melon, brown envelopes bantam corn. I've got cinnamon basil seed lurking if anyone is interested in that, but I just don't know the growing conditions here yet and so don't know if I'll have any of these things for sharing? X sunloving

Ooooh if you do go and visit, let us know how you get on, I bet it is amazing  :toothy10:

If you feel like it you could always join this years Seed Circle? Still space and with all your seeds arriving you might find there is something you'd like to add in....

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 17:59:01 »
Hi jayb i need to get my courage up to join the circle, have just found some more things from goodlife that I'm going to try to bulk up this year. What do you think, I'm doing her salmon flowered and Alaskan early peas, the jelly melon, brown envelopes bantam corn. I've got cinnamon basil seed lurking if anyone is interested in that, but I just don't know the growing conditions here yet and so don't know if I'll have any of these things for sharing? X sunloving

They sound fantastic to me! :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 09:39:08 »

Cinnamon Basil sounds gorgeous and I don't think it has ever been shared in the circle. Salmon flowered peas are just delightful a real treat, particularly if someone hasn't grown them before. Lots of lovely seed saving material in your list! Quite understand your reserve, but if you do want to provisionally join and see how your season goes.... I think most of us have had a few failures and ups and downs along the way and I've found it's been good to have the support, ideas and encouragement from others in the group along the way  :happy7:

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 17:37:36 »
Hi jayb, it would be lovely to be in if you can tolerate the uncertainty?
X sun loving

Cinnamon Basil sounds gorgeous and I don't think it has ever been shared in the circle. Salmon flowered peas are just delightful a real treat, particularly if someone hasn't grown them before. Lots of lovely seed saving material in your list! Quite understand your reserve, but if you do want to provisionally join and see how your season goes.... I think most of us have had a few failures and ups and downs along the way and I've found it's been good to have the support, ideas and encouragement from others in the group along the way  :happy7:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 08:53:08 »
Hi jayb, it would be lovely to be in if you can tolerate the uncertainty?
X sun loving

Absolutely  :icon_cheers:

I'll add you in  :wave:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 13:34:09 »
I'd like to put in a vote for non-supersweet corn. The extra sweetness bred-in has been at the expense of the true flavour of sweetcorn.

Yes, the old types need to be eaten within 30 min of picking, and the supersweets are worth growing for the freezer if you have the space, but neither of these are important.

What's important is that the cobs in the market are now supersweet and much better for it - and they can be made to taste pretty close to fresh supersweet corn by a dusting of sugar (I'd say that with some you'd get the same experience by just eating a sugar cube - but the best ones are OK).

I'm MUCH too lazy to grow crops where the stuff in the shop is the same.

However the old types have a flavour that can only be experienced if you (or your friends) grow them and boil them within 10-15min of picking.

That's it.

Cheers.

PS. Cinnamon basil is worth growing - it's not just basil flavour + cinnamon. On the other hand lemon and lime basils don't really taste of proper basil - grow proper basil and add lemon or lime zest - much nicer.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal