Author Topic: Kale  (Read 4377 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Kale
« on: March 24, 2016, 13:16:19 »
I thought I would buy some Kale seeds to plant this year but as I have not grown them before, I wondered which ones were the tastiest as they all look so different.  I couldn't find Daubenton's kale seeds online so had a look on Ebay.  They didn't have Daubenton's but have a large variety of kale in red, green or nero black.  I don't fancy the nero as they look as if they may be bitter.   I am thinking of ordering the Borecole scarlet and can't make my mind up between the Borecole Siberian, Thousand Head, Kailyard, Green curled and Hungry gap.

Has anyone tried them and what are they like please?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Kale
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 13:32:32 »
ive grown them all except for thousand head and they are all in my opinion fantastic dwarf green curled is one of my favs and borecole red they taste very milky wonderful when theres not much elsein the middle of winter trust me once you have tried them you will grow them every year this year im trying russian cant wait hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 14:27:46 »
I used always to grow standard curly kale, but found that it hid so many insects and caterpillars . . .  changed to cavelo nero which I find so much better, tastier (not bitter) easy to clean.  Useful for shredding and cooking in a wok or adding to soup.  My current crop has  gone to seed rather earlier, so an now harvesting lots of 'sprouting kale' - really useful!  My sprouting broccoli will be taking over shortly.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 15:38:01 »
Go for the nero. It is not bitter, we just pop another layer on the steamer when she does the spuds and it comes out lovely.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 20:13:16 »
Nero AND Red Russian.. Red Russian in my munch on one and is great is salads. Nero I use for cooking and it makes great kale chips. I am still picking both and now the flower buds are forming and I use them like sprouting broccoli. I also grow Red Russian as a snip salad  one which I grow all year round in a tub. I also try to grow an unusual one to  se if there is anything better. My kale seeds are on the table as I speak and I can't make up my mind !!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

andrea66

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 20:57:13 »
i can highly recommend curly kale  :-D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 11:39:33 »
Thank you very much for your replies.  I was surprised to hear that the nero one is not bitter, as darker greens are usually more bitter than lighter greens especially as far as cabbages are concerned. 

On Ebay, I found I could buy 4 different seed varieties of kale for £1.99.  It includes Fizz, Hungry Gap, Red Russian and Scarlet. The same person also sold Kailyard, which is a Highlands Crofters kale, so I have ordered some seeds of that too.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 18:55:50 »
Think I might have sowed mine far too early last year as it was all over by winter. I like all varieties, trouble is I try to grow more then I have room for.
The nero defiantly is not bitter.

Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 19:04:35 »
Pauline, it seems quite odd to me that  that kale is always described as black. it has a great many names including Black, Dino. Tuscany, and Lacino or Lacinato but although it looks very dark in some pictures especially Franchis, it really isn't. I have it growing and it is certainly darker than your average white/green cabbage but it no darker than say tomato leaves.

You will like it. I toss it in stir fry, steam it as is, and if the leaves start t get a bit big then I boil them, but I tend to pick all my kales when the leaves are quite small.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 09:11:47 »
Cavolo Nero for me too.  I find curly kale gets very tough as winter goes on and it also takes up a lot of space.  Purple/red kale also gets tough.   Cavolo Nero is tasty, finer, more tender and being narrower, takes up less space and looks more attractive too.   The only thing is it gets frozen to death as it isn't as hardy as the others.
Obxx - Vendée France

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 09:17:02 »
 :happy7:
Thank you very much for your replies.  I was surprised to hear that the nero one is not bitter, as darker greens are usually more bitter than lighter greens especially as far as cabbages are concerned. 

On Ebay, I found I could buy 4 different seed varieties of kale for £1.99.  It includes Fizz, Hungry Gap, Red Russian and Scarlet. The same person also sold Kailyard, which is a Highlands Crofters kale, so I have ordered some seeds of that too.

They sound a lovely mix and will give a nice variety of types. Good price too
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 09:18:31 »
I like all varieties, trouble is I try to grow more then I have room for.

Me too!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 12:05:12 »
I have plenty of room but don't have any of the plots weeded yet.  I need to move the chickens about a bit more.  I wish they would eat nettles and bindweed though.

Last year, I had to plant my chard in a new flower bed I had made, as nowhere else was ready.   It added a bit of colour all winter and now looks very healthy.  I have a few gaps inbetween the bulbs and perennials and against the trellises where the climbing roses have been planted, so I can see me infilling with a few varieties of kale if I am short of prepared vegetable beds.  I could even grow some in pots. 

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 13:44:49 »
I am still picking both and now the flower buds are forming and I use them like sprouting broccoli.

I think Cavallo Nero flower bud sprouts are the very best "broccoli" I've tasted - well worth growing extra plants for - they are best steamed but then they are better than any PSB.

Also, not only are the leaves less bitter than most kales,  they also develop a buttery taste when tasted straight from the steamer (no butter, maybe no salt either) . It's so weird it's almost disconcerting - but I love it.

Cheers.

PS. Try chinese mustard sprouts as broccoli - amazing - but best used as 10% with 90% more ordinary "broccolis".
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 13:48:29 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal