General > Computers / Internet

Windows 10

<< < (7/7)

BarriedaleNick:
Yeah - Its just an operating system, not a life changing experience.  As a rule of thumb I mostly give it at least a few months before updating to a new OS.  There are always issues that need sorting and although I am willing it give even betas a go on a test or virtual box I would leave it alone on my main PC.   

Jeannine:
My new laptop comes with an option to update to Windows 10...should I do it .

I must admit I don't like change and when choosing this laptop the main thing was that it wasn't touchscreen, it isn't so I am nervous to rock the boat, I am OK with it so far apart form the key thing mentioned in a another posting

Advice would be appreciated.

XX Jeannine

BarriedaleNick:
Well Windows 10 is a little different to Windows 7 so if you don't like change then don't bother with it.  However sooner or later you will have to update if you want to be secure but that isn't for several years yet.  At the moment there is no overwhelming reason to update if you are happy with what you have..

Garden Manager:
Trouble is Microsoft are pushing very hard to get people to upgrade. The 12 month limit on free upgrades is just one 'incentive' along with changing the upgrade from 'optional' to 'recommended' whereby it will automatically download (but not install) with other windows updates (that you 'must' have). Pushy popups to update once downloaded are another trick. My dad got caught by this and ended up upgrading by mistake the other day because he was trying to get rid of the popup.

I am also convinced Windows 7 updates, both type and frequency are also trying to push us into upgrading, if only by cluttering up our operating systems so much we get fed up with 7 and move up to 10 to 'make our machines better'!

I have also read about other things Microsoft are doing that may or may not make people upgrade. IE is soon having support withdrawn and so wont stay as secure - they want us to upgrade to get Edge and Defender perhaps? Rubbish i say, who uses IE anyway? Just switch to Chrome or Firefox instead to stay secure.

I have also read that the next generation of processors for Windows machines will be programmed to only run with 10 rather than any recent Windows. That means when upgrading a PC there will be no choice but to use 10 unlike now when there is choice/flexibility.

personally i am still not sure about upgrading. Possibly my PC will work better with it but in other ways i could end up worse off for doing so, and i don't like being bullied by anyone!

Jeannine:
I have decided not to bother.. there seems no point right now, if I am still around down the road I can decide then LOl so I am sticking with what I nearly know LOL Thank you for the help

XX Jeannine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version