Produce > Kept Animals

We're hatching some ducklings

(1/5) > >>

Melbourne12:
Not, I hasten to add, for ourselves.  One of our allotment neighbours keeps ducks (or, rather, used to until Charlie Fox broke into his run one night recently).  We were especially sad because we'd hatched out some of the previous flock.

He passed to us 11 eggs that were left, and we put them in the incubator.  I must say that I didn't have much hope, but to my surprise after 9 days 9 out of the 11 were showing very nicely defined embryo development.  It's now day 14, so fingers crossed for Sunday 19th when they're due to hatch.  We'll candle them again next weekend, but it's a good start at least.

goodlife:
Oh how exciting.. :icon_cheers: Photos please when they are all fluffy little balls.
I miss looking after chicks..my girls are now 1 year old :happy7:

pumkinlover:
Good luck little chicks!

galina:

--- Quote from: pumpkinlover on April 05, 2015, 22:11:08 ---Good luck little chicks!

--- End quote ---

Yes, hope there will be a good number for a replacement flock in a foxproof run.  Good luck!   :wave:

Melbourne12:
With just over a week to go, we've candled them for a second time.  Seven are well-developed.  You can see the outline of what will become the duckling, with the blood vessels to the wings and legs.  Amazing.

We've rejected one completely.  It hadn't developed well, and was showing that jelly-like wobble that suggests bacterial infection.  One seemed to be lagging behind, but otherwise normal.  I suspect that it won't come to anything, but we've let it keep its luck for the time being and left it in the incubator.  The camera is on standby for next weekend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version