Author Topic: What are you planting or sowing now?  (Read 18598 times)

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
What are you planting or sowing now?
« on: March 04, 2015, 18:13:33 »
Hey,

So it's now March and we have a plot in Bedfordhsire.

What should we be sowing/planting now? Everything says from March or 'in the spring' but do they really mean it lol

Thought I would see what everyone else is up to to get an idea. Like has anyone planted their first earlies yet?

2015 - New plot. Let's go!!

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: What are you planting or sowing now?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 18:47:53 »
Broad beans; zebrune onions; leeks and tomatoes in modules and pots to germinate.

I have 60 jermor shallots in the ground (I was given 80 by my niece!!!  I asked for about 20) as well as garlic.  Potatoes are chitting in the second bedroom.

I want to get the parsnip in this weekend and cover with plastic to warm the soil.

I sowed chives and spring onions in old drinks cartons and they are on the window sill for early pickings.

I am also sewing my garden socks so the wind does not get through the holes.

Enjoy your gardening
Bill

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 18:53:49 »
not planted anything outside yet as I live in yorkshire and it has been so cold but I have coverred some of the beds in plastic to warm the soil so hoping to get 1st earlies in on Sat
Barnsley S Yorks

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 19:33:10 »
Hmm, sOunds like we are on the right track.

We have some shallots, onion and garlic in the ground and toms, spring onions and chillies on the windowsill.

When will everyone be sowing their first potatoes?
2015 - New plot. Let's go!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 20:45:30 »
It's still a bit early for most seeds, but I'm thinking about what to put in. Brassicas can go in once it warms up a bit, and broad beans any time. I haven't planted them yet because I've damaged my back and want to give it a bit more time.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 22:32:17 »
Hi Bubbles26.

I first sowed potatoes many many years ago.  I stopped  it  when my dad told me that broadcasting wasn't the thing to do.

I usually plant my potatoes about Easter, but I might leave it to the following week this year.  It will depend on whether I can get on the soil without compacting it.

Still sewing my gardening socks.

Bill
Enjoy your gardening

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 07:36:14 »
When will everyone be sowing their first potatoes?

If you plant them early they will be up early and you will have to protect them from late frosts.

I plant the earliest earlies in Bags (the first were done mid February) in the warmth, when they sprout into the conservatory (doesn't fall below 10C this time of the year) and then the greenhouse a bit later on ...

... that enables me to plant my Earlies outdoors a bit later

I then plant a few Earliest outdoors ... and then the rest a couple of weeks later.  In most years the last frost is early enough I don't have to protect them at all (well, usually I have to earth up a bit to cover foliage, but that is trivial compared to having plants a foot above ground and trying to protect them with grass clippings when fleece will not be enough ... it maybe only happens once of twice a decade that we have a frost late in May, but if the foliage is tall by then, due to early planting, it will be hard to protect).

You can plant your 2nds and Mains at the same time - "Early" refers to the length of time the plant takes to mature, rather than the planting date.  2nds and Mains will take longer to get above ground, and then grow more slowly, so are less of a frost risk in that sense.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 08:11:17 »
I'm in Harrow, London and will be planting/sowing broad beans, onions and first early potatoes in a couple of weeks time, weather permitting.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 12:45:34 »
Just had a look at what I sowed last year at this time and (in addition to the above) I also sowed kale, brussels and cauli in short rows directly into the greenhouse soil and all came up nicely. 

I also sowed coriander (two batches from two different packets) and none came up.  Perhaps it was too early for coriander.

My overwintering outdoors rocket has been eaten down to stumps by "something" (deer? we have muntjacs coming into the garden).  All now dug up and transplanted into the greenhouse.  I have late sown salad crops as well in the greenhouse, but now is a good time to buy a living salad punnet, separate the lettuces and plant into the greenhouse for a catch crop before the tomatoes need the space.  Or plant under a cloche.

This is also the time of year where windowsill growing is a good idea.  Cress is easy and  sprouting beans, especially Mung and adzuki beans.  Pea shoots are a good idea for indoors/conservatory/windowsill growing.  Sow cheap marrowfat peas from the dry food shelf in the supermarket (not expensive seed packets), sow thickly and snip the greens once they are a few inches high.  They can be cut several times. 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:53:30 by galina »

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 13:36:32 »
Hi Ya, I have just sown Tomatoes, lettuce, aubergines and cabbage in pots in the greeen house. We are still getting frosts so wonderde how you protect your seedlings. I have mine in trays and in a mini g/h with flecce and plastic cover. I find this easier to heat with a small frost beater parrafin heater. If you sow direct into the g/h soil galina do you cover them? I have two cold frames down the plot I could sow direct into them. I haven't had a look at my sowings for 6 days now so will have to take a peek today. Happy gardening

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 14:02:31 »
Cucumbers sown last Sunday and put on a sunny bedroom windowsill are up already after a few sunny days!  :happy7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 14:28:28 »
Hi Ya, I have just sown Tomatoes, lettuce, aubergines and cabbage in pots in the greeen house. We are still getting frosts so wonderde how you protect your seedlings. I have mine in trays and in a mini g/h with flecce and plastic cover. I find this easier to heat with a small frost beater parrafin heater. If you sow direct into the g/h soil galina do you cover them? I have two cold frames down the plot I could sow direct into them. I haven't had a look at my sowings for 6 days now so will have to take a peek today. Happy gardening

Lezelle, no I don't cover them, they come up when they want to.  And this year I have sown some caulis into trays (unheated gh not covered) and they have just sprouted.  All my peppers and tomatoes are indoors though, even the conservatory is too cold at the moment, but soon they can go into the conservatory once they have been transplanted into individual pots.

I should think sowing brassica directly into cold frames would work fine.

And Happy Gardening to you too  :sunny:

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 19:39:04 »
I sowed broad beans in a cold frame yesterday and covered the potato patch to warm it up (I hope!).  Rocket and Mizuna in cold frame 10 days ago and the rocket has come up! Also cabbage, onions and leeks started indoors.  Well, my fingers got itchy and I had to do something for the plot!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 07:52:05 »
I find rocket slow to germinate  :glasses9:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 08:22:05 »
I'm off to Tenerife for a few days so it I am waiting for a week.  Going to shove some Red Alert toms in before I go and when I get back - Plant all the seeds!!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 10:09:37 »
Hi all, tahnks for your response galina, I have always sown outside but now you have given me a new idea. I have not considered sowing this early with no protection before but will give it a go. Thanks for your idea. :happy7:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 13:25:31 »
The soil is very cold and wet so, since I was getting impatient, I sowed some leafy stuff on Tuesday - salads, parsley, rocket, cabbage and kales - in trays that are now in the unheated greenhouse.    Next on the list are broad beans, toms and chillies but first I need to clear space on the sunniest windowsills and clean my heated propagators.    Still far too cold and wet to be thinking of direct sowing root crops.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 15:12:41 »
Thought I would discuss my sowing in pictures;

Broad Beans & Sweet Peas in Cold frame:

Potatoes Chitting:

Onions and a few perennials;

Hot bed containing pricked out Tomatoes & Peppers plus  various under propagator lids e,g Sweet Peppers,Chillies, Antirrhinum,Petunia,Aubergines and a few more!

Closer look;

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 19:11:29 »
Looking good! I'm curious to know what's in the pot in the middle of the coldframe?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 20:19:29 »
I'm curious to know what's in the pot in the middle of the coldframe?

Its a rather poorly charm chrysanthemum that was getting in my way in h greenhouse.

It might survive, I was hoping it would  send up some basal growth so that I could take cuttings, but I am not very optimistic!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal