Author Topic: B Street  (Read 2852 times)

ACE

• Hectare
B Street
« on: January 22, 2014, 07:58:32 »
I know I should not have watched it, but I did out of curiosity to see what all the fuss was about. We seem to be going back in time when you could go and pay to see a travelling freak show. What with some of the other programmes on the telly showing unfortunate people with terrible afflictions and grossly overweight people being shown daily.

Still back to the show, the poor children will never be able to make anything of theirselves with parents who haven't a clue. I am also sure the programme has been sponsored by Special Brew and tobacco companies with the amount of street drinking and others with a permanent ciggie in their mouths. You can be certain that there is no sponsorship from any company that makes brassieres.

I have just read that some of the women have been offered jobs being photo'd in the buff. Hellfire! who ever wants to see that. The girls reaction was to see if it would affect their benefits before they say yes. They should have given the magazine a direct no, it is not acceptable to have this sort of thing in any magazine even if it was Crufts that was asking.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: B Street
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:42:43 »
Cannot watch it here but I find the whole concept rather disgusting. It seems to be a combination of laziness and cluelessness.
It's obviously a bit of the "in the good old days" type moaning to say this, but my parents both came from poor families, my mum came from a family of 7 kids from a mining village. She left school at 13 and was a housemaid. My grandmother kept all the kids fed and washed on no doubt very little money and no bathroom or indoor toilet. The eldest ones worked (2 of them down the pit) and gave her their wages and she gave them back pocket money until they got married. It would not have been acceptable for any of them to sit around the house and not work. The sons that did not want to work in the colliery went south to work in the factories or into the forces.  My brothers went to work at 15 as apprentices and my brother still works now at 65 in a manual profession. To sit around on the dole was considered shameful in my parents' generation, being lazy was shunned. And my mother till her dying day often said to us "You're never so poor as to not be able to buy soap." Yes, the men did often drink, and most smoked too, but they worked hard too and these were considered their little pleasures in life.
Now I don't think we ought to go back to that obviously! But where are those values now? Of working hard, making something of yourself through education, being respectable, being clean for one thing!
Something seems to have gone sadly wrong... don't worry it's not just in Britain either, although in other places where there are less benefits, people have to find other ways to get along. And showing it on the TV just seems in bad taste.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:00:54 »
Always bear in mind that this bl**dy awful depiction of the 'not haves' is carefully choreographed and 'guide scripted'.
The 'tinnies'/fags are supplied by the production company but not any other payment.
It's only a similarity to life in this particular case, and will probably win bafters because of the silly s*ds that believe in it.
 Innit?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

mentallot

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 13:42:30 »
Always bear in mind that this bl**dy awful depiction of the 'not haves' is carefully choreographed and 'guide scripted'.
The 'tinnies'/fags are supplied by the production company but not any other payment.
It's only a similarity to life in this particular case, and will probably win bafters because of the silly s*ds that believe in it.
 Innit?

Are all the smart phones are supplied too ? Just wondering ...

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 14:16:55 »
Personally I couldn't actually watch it so turned it off but it seems utterly scripted and planned from what I saw.  Unfortunately there are always going to be people who think that it is true (just see twitter) and will react in the manner that the makers want you to react.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkrX5J73Vi4 Charlie Brooker - NSFW language but spot on.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 17:36:42 »
Gosh Ace.  You must have too much time on your hands to bother with this type of "program".

I have not watched it and don't intend to.  It feels as if it is like being taken to someones house and only being allowed to look out of one window to confirm that nothing happens near the house.

Perhaps this is something that you could ask your MP about when visiting Westminster.  What do they intend to do about people's expectations?

Fortunately i am far enough away so i can't walk a mile in their shoes.  But then, anything can happen these days

Enjoy your gardening.

Bill

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 21:56:38 »
I've been down there since the programme came out, it's only a couple of miles away. People on it say they were mislead and misrepresented, and I believe them, despite Channel 4's denials. Some of them don't dare come out of their homes, there have been death threats, and the police are down there 24 hours, so you can see they take it seriously. The worst I could say about them is that they were very naive.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 20:42:31 »
I think the worst thing about it is that it will feed the Tory/Daily Mail propaganda about "benefit scroungers". I bet Iain Duncan Smith is loving it! :BangHead:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal