Author Topic: What are your must grow again varieties for 2014?  (Read 10238 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
What are your must grow again varieties for 2014?
« on: October 12, 2013, 11:10:49 »
I guess it’s that time of year and my thoughts are starting to wander to next year, I’m pretty sure these will all be on my grow list;  Sungold, Suncherry Premium, Dancing with Smurfs, Black Opal tomatoes. Red Swan dwarf bean, Monstrance Bean climbing bean, Trofeo dwarf bean, Australian Blue squash (not fully decided until I taste some more),  Crown Peas, Oskar peas,  Ruby Queen Sweet Corn, Rainbow carrots, Tweed,  Crimson flowered broad beans, Red Florence onion and Aquiles calabrese.  Probably others too just these are the first ones to spring to mind. They have all grown really well here and taste has been great. Well maybe not all of the Crown peas, but they look so gorgeous they are a must grow for me  :toothy10:

Anyone decided on your grow again varieties for next year?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: What are your must grow again varieties for 2014?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 12:55:30 »
WELL...I've got my favourite 'Skansk' peas now that I've got more Latvian peas..those I need to grow lots of more to have cooking session with them and another definite is 'mammoth melting' mangetout..or and the sugar lord snap pea.
As for toms..I particularly liked your blush toms and Galina's black icicles..hmm..and I've got 'my own' that I need to grow in greater numbers. Oh and Victorian dwarf was very good this year too.
Macedonian peppers have done 'tons' of fruit..as usual..and they are my firm 'must grow every year' list (some seeds will be in circle parcel this year).
Spotted cos lettuce..I didn't get to eat any as I grew them this year for seed (circle) but they did look very yummy so those will be definite 'again lot'.
Beans...ohh..how can I choose? Well..I do LOVE gigantes..so those, and the good, old reliable Cosse violet too.
Umm....err....that is that I can list for now..head is still foggy from last nights knitting session and I've not woken up properly..list will continue later... :drunken_smilie: :glasses9:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 12:58:44 »
Ring of Fire chillies and Purple Cape cauli, now I've located them in the Chase catalogue!  :wave:

leeshaun

• Not So New ...
  • 2.5 years on waiting list and the allotment's ours
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 13:56:05 »
Lady Di Runner Beans and Speedy Dwarf beans are a must for next year Yum! :happy7:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 17:05:32 »
Green grape tomatoes for me the very best flavour!! 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 21:29:50 »
After my terrible year when I barely got into the garden I almost was going to chuck it in this next year and give up my lotties but I have had a lot of support from our exec and they are encouraging me to stay put. I have no idea how John will be but he has started at a day centre now and by the Spring he will be there more days which frees me a lot, however I am going for an easy to do year where I can and shall be selecting veggies which don't need me there so much.

1 potato stands out from last year. With all the neglect and almost no watering in blistering heat it produced beautifully, German Butter somethiing. I have the label and will go for those again. My Gigandes for sure, and the family bean that I grew from the remaining few seeds my son in laws father found..wow was I so excited as I had lost my strain some years ago. My own well established garlic that I call My Garlic and everyone else calls it Jeannine's Garlic. My beloved Mokum carrots, my Shasta cauli. My Rose de Roscoff onions. Champion of England peas.

After that I am selecting new varieties. squash for small bush size, apart from 1 variety which will be one of the Blues, last year without training the vines they were rampant and almost took over the neighbourhood.

At home now I have the new greenhouse I can grew any of the toms from the past  and that will be smashing, it is  a long time since I had a greenhouse in my garden, not since I left the UK actually so I will grew my fave Carmen Cukes and the  Hoy tomatoes  from 2012 after that I am not sure which I will pick apart from the new one from JayB.

My son in law is building me raised beds at home too so I will be able to grow the salad stuff that I would not do at the lottie this next year. so Black Seeded Simpson ,Little Gem and Tom Thumb will be in there.

It will be  an odd year for me, the first one probably on my own (with a bit of paid help for digging) a bit eye watering thinking about it actually but moving along..the seed catalogues are coming and I am game for it...hankies gone now.

I will be doing a selection of all the broad beans I have, not planning on saving the seeds but a mix of the ones grown over the last few years, ditto to my runners beans, I will make a fence of a mix of flower colours from ones I have saved from previous years.

Good Luck to us all.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 16:06:21 »
So glad you are going to continue with your allotment Jeannine. If you are growing a mix of broadies why not save some seed from the best and start your own landrace? Same with the runners?  I grew some mixed peas this year, they looked lovely when in flower as they were a lovely mix of colours, shame they don't flower for very long.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 16:38:38 »
Forgot to add, Blue Belle main crop potatoes and Pentland Javelin earlies  :happy7:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 22:04:38 »
I guess I could, I have always isolated in the past, I wonder what they would do.

the broadies are Aquadulce Claudia,Red Bristows,Crimson Flowered,Bacardi, Grano Violetto, Purple Podded, an unknown  that I bought in an East Indian shop which might not germinate and a couple of others coming in the post.

the runners are  Moonlight, Painted Lady,Sunset,White Lady,Celebration,St George, Insuks Wang Cong,Black Coat,Golden Sunshine,Jevan,Sadies Horse,Old Black Joes,Ayocote Morado Purple a few of my Gigandes I guess, plus another couple coming. Bee Gees one I will grow at home where it will be completely isolated

I wonder what I would get.

XX Jeannine.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 22:45:06 »
Purple queen dwarf french beans gave me a bumper crop this year and taste absolutely gorgeous. A nailed on for next year. Black cherry toms were beautiful and a massive crop. Soleil yellow courgettes - great crop and great taste.

An unusual plant I will definitely grow next year was sai sai, japanese leaf radish. I grew this for the leaves, but it over wintered really well and in the summer it went to seed and produced a massive crop of succulent juicy rat's tails, which sounds disgusting but they are delicious green pods that taste peppery like raddish and are great in salads or stir fry. The flowers are delicious as well and taste like peppery cucumber.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 22:52:06 »
Thats an interesting one XX Jeannine

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 09:16:09 »
I like the sound of Saisai radish leaf, a new one for me  :happy7:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 20:21:28 »
Where did you get the purple podded broadies, Jeannine? There are verieties which express the purple gene in various places, but that's one I haven't come across. I'll be continuing to develop broad bean and runner bean mixes, and growing some of y standard reliable Frenchies - Trail of Tears, Kew Blue, Cosse Violette - as well as trying some new ones. Same with peas, a mix of varieties I've grown before and new ones. A lot depends on how much space I have, and how far I've got with the raised beds. I did my back in so badly last summer that I'm not at all sure when I'll be back in harness. Someone who teaches NVQ horticulture has promised to get his lads to dig my plot, but even filling raised beds is going to be hard, and if I can't do it then everything depends on the weather. If it's as wet as the summer beefore last it could be hopeless.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 03:28:34 »
Robert, I am sorry  I wrote that incorrectly, what I have written on the bag is Purple Fava  seeds which is what I called them as the variety was unknown, they came from Guatemala and where given to me a couple of years ago by someone from that area who called them" Fava beans the purple one" LOL. It was quite a big bag and I did plant a few but  I did a mixed bed of broadies that year too but as I wasn't saving seeds  year I didn't isolate plants or frankly even worry about which was which as we ate them all and of course we ate them fresh , there were a few different colour flowers in my mixed patch but  I didn't know which was which so cannot give you anymore info about flower or pod colour.

I still have a bag of the original seeds. I have just compared them to Granno Violetta  and the seeds are bigger and much much darker.

Maybe I should grow them in isolation this year and make a note of what they do.

What types do you have that are purple seeded.

XX Jeannine

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 06:55:47 »
Cougette mikonos excelled itself again every fruit looks ready for a competition very shiny fruits and I am happy now I have sourced Clarita again.

Tromba d'albenga squash and mrs Lewis's purple podded beans continue as always.   Moonlight and St George runners as well.    And Broadbean Karmazyn ~ I just love those delicious little pink seeds.

Calabrese Sticcoli is becoming a favourite.   Sweetcorn Earlybird.   

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 12:36:30 »
Crystal lemon cuke and the osso blue tomato that I received from Jayb.  Plus a couple of russian ones plus the little redcurrant type that spread like the clappers, plus of course the polen tomatoes.  Don't think I will have any room left in my small greenhouse for more varieties.  Must remember NEVER to grow white tomatoes anywhere near the yellow tomatoes.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 18:52:43 »
What types do you have that are purple seeded.

XX Jeannine

Red Epicure is in my mix, but I gave away the last of my original seeds so I don't have the actual variety now, just similar descendants which I've been selecting for the red seeds. Then there's a Russian one, Karmazyn, from eBay. Those two are both longpods. Then I have a few seeds each of a couple of Spanish varieties, Granio Violeta and Haba Negra; the latter is darker and I'm not sure what color the fresh seeds would be. Some old beans are described as 'black', but I imagine it's the dried seeds which are referred to. There's an Alan Kapuler mix, Lanto's Return, with some purple seeds, and two 'favaroles', with pea-sized seeds. Baba Beltza, from Spain, is 'black' - really a sort of dark brown - and Cote D'Or, from the US, has some 'black seeds. The latter varieties are all going to be grown out and probably shared round, but I'm anticipating that it's going to take several years.

steveg1966

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 19:00:14 »
I will be growing NE plus ultra peas and Lincoln peas also a first early pea but yet to decide I will also have another go at couve tronchuda as this years bolted Lurec wight hardneck garlic Bedfordshire champion onions from seed.Cardoon and a few hairloom varieties yet to decide and I am also not too sure what spuds yet.Also Kentucky wonder wax beans tried them 2 years ago and got massive crop so will try next year
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 19:38:33 by steveg1966 »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 19:43:09 »
Robert O am scouring the net and the SSE members book for new to me broad bean seeds too, those and runners have fascinated me for some time . I can probably give you a few of the pure ones if you like but it won't be many. I can also give you some of the Unknown from the East Indian store, they are very  big beans, I could try a germination on them first.

XX Jeannine

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 20:04:18 »
I'd be very grateful, Jeannine. I hadn't realised how interesting broadies could be until recently!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal