Author Topic: Joan J raspberries  (Read 7852 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Joan J raspberries
« on: September 21, 2013, 07:51:31 »
I put in some new Joan J plants this year and they have only just started fruiting, while my old Autumn Bliss have been fruiting for about a month. Is Joan J usually late?

pumkinlover

Re: Joan J raspberries
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 08:11:20 »
I do not know-but might it be because newly planted. I have Joan which often starts early.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:40:48 »
I agree that it's probably down to lack of establishment. I believe Joan J was developed from Autumn Bliss, so would expect cropping times to be similar.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 18:35:54 »
Ok, thanks- I think they did suffer from the wet and then the heat so I'll see what happens next year!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 22:22:56 »
I planted them (six plants) in spring last year and got a handful off each plant (wasn't really expecting more) but over a longer period than I had thought was likely - late July to the frosts. I'm picking a small punnet every two days this year (ie enough for two each time) and expect that to double at least next year. They are firm fruit with a great taste, I'm very pleased with them. The main problem is not eating them all on the plot before they got home to the family ...

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 03:12:28 »
Mine did better last year.  Now we have had some rain they are beginning to perk up.

bridbod

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 11:35:44 »
I planted ten Joan J plants two winters ago on top of seeweed, chopped nettles, and old growbags and they have given me a fabulous crop this year (East Yorkshire).They were at their peek about ten days ago but still picked about a kilo from them yesterday. Nice big fruits and great flavour. Good luck with yours

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 12:45:40 »
I'm going to have to replace my raspberries this year as my autumn fruiting ones that were on the lottie when I took it over in 2006 have failed to come up this year; I was looking at Joan J as a possible contender to replace them, would you recommend them so far compared to Autumn Bliss?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 16:57:18 »
I have had Joan J in my garden for about 5 years now, this year has not been a good one for them but I think that is due to the strange weather, previous years have been brilliant and I would recommend them to anyone :) :)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 20:16:36 »
When grown commercially, Joan J is assumed to be 10 days behind Autumn Bliss.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 07:59:27 »
My first year with JoanJ they cropped from June until November.   Last year it was End of July-Nov but they were brilliant. this year it was end of Aug before they started, all the fruit just dried up.   I think they are better flavour than Autumn Bliss, and when they do well they certainly out perform them.  But Autumns Bliss did no better this year, they just did not like the heat.   

I prefer the flavour of Polka but they are in a rather dry spot and have done very very badly this year and have only now produced a very few fruit.

I am rather loathe to water them because of the lime in the water.  The Autumn ones generally seem slightly less lime hating.

The JoanJ on the edges of the clumps are doing better, so I fet the message the need a lot more feeding.   They all will get a mulch of leaves and straw during the winter.    I think next year I will thin them out.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 08:10:42 »
We have had bumper crops from Joan J this year. I have used the allotted space in my freezer so Jenny the cat protection lady is  fillings hers and  her friends freezers I believe to make raspberry jam with them to sell for the charity. They need picking every other day. I have been asked by 4 people who have seen them if they can have some of the roots when we cut them back. They are superb
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 10:05:23 »
Shirlton in previous years my post would have read like yours :)  and Joan J make the best jam ever :)  I have people who knock on my door with bags of jars in the hope of exchanging for the jam :)  I will try extra feed in the spring, it could be that they are getting a bit crowded out now so I will have a good sort out in the spring too :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 10:25:36 »
Mine have only been in the ground for 3 years and they are still good. The two year old ones are the best though. I am going t make a new row during the winter and taking the old row out. I think that onec they get over crowded they don't crop as well.
I also feed all of my fruit trees, blackberries raspberries and other fruit with potash every spring.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 13:06:22 »
I did smile to myself when I managed to pick about a pound yesterday.....I will have to post on here more often!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 13:12:20 »
Mine have suddenly started doing at the moment too.   I do not think they liked that really hot dry spell in July.  Nice to hear that our thoughts have perked yours up.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 17:19:56 »
Stick to Autumn Bliss. Its still the best autumn fruiting raspberry in my view. Wouldn't grow any other.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 17:42:21 »
Another question about Joan J. I thought autumn rasps didn't need support (my Autumn Bliss didn't until recently) but some of the stems on my new Joan J are almost horizontal! Will I need posts and wires next year?

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 07:42:33 »
Some of mine are flopping over as well.   If anything my Joanj are slightly taller and more floppy than Autumn bliss.  They are also rampant.  But the upside is the fruit is huge.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:44:27 by Digeroo »

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 17:27:33 »
They dont need staking like summer types, but sometimes need some form of support to stop them overgrowing a path for example. I grow mine in beds with a stake at each corner. I can then run string or wire between the post when the plants get a bit wayward or top heavy. This is usualy enough.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal