Author Topic: Tomatoes and Peppers  (Read 1668 times)

Golach

• Half Acre
Tomatoes and Peppers
« on: October 20, 2013, 21:20:56 »
Just pulled probably the last of the red tomatoes off the vines.  Some of my Gardeners Delight (my favourites) have ripened despite my sowing them very late - the original lot got completely slugged.  Mmm...that taste.

Got a few sweet peppers too, albeit they're green - again very late in sowing them.

Going to give the peppers another go next year - sowing at the correct time.

Later in the week I'll pull the green tomatoes and make tomato chutney with them, then clear out the greenhouse and get it ready for next season.

This year I grew Moneymaker as well as Gardeners Delight.  Have to admit I'm not too impressed with Moneymaker so I'll be growing Ailsa Craig in the greenhouse next year and will try experimenting with different varieties that grow outdoors at the allotment, especially plum tomatoes as I like Italian cookery.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Tomatoes and Peppers
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:48:45 »
Sounds like you are kept busy dealing with the plentiful harvest  :icon_cheers:
Even I did sow my peppers early this year, the cold spring delayed planting into GH so my plants were 'on hold' for some weeks before they were able to put proper growth on. Despite being late they have put good show on and rewarded me with lots of fruit.
Keep giving pepper 'another try' and trial different varieties as some are much happier growing where you are than others...and when you find 'the happy ones'..you won't know what to do with all the fruit... :icon_thumleft:

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 12:05:37 »
Sounds like you are kept busy dealing with the plentiful harvest  :icon_cheers:
Even I did sow my peppers early this year, the cold spring delayed planting into GH so my plants were 'on hold' for some weeks before they were able to put proper growth on. Despite being late they have put good show on and rewarded me with lots of fruit.
Keep giving pepper 'another try' and trial different varieties as some are much happier growing where you are than others...and when you find 'the happy ones'..you won't know what to do with all the fruit... :icon_thumleft:

Can you recommend some varieties I can try please?  I love peppers whether raw or cooked.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 18:08:10 »
Wisconsin Lakes, Palermo, Sweet Chocolate, white cloud and King of the North have been very good croppers for me in past and all are nice to be eaten raw and cooked.

You can find seed to some of those varieties from Nicky's nurseries, Plant World seeds and Plants of Distinction..I'm sure there is other suppliers too but those I know without checking that should stock them.
And the links you find from here... http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,76474.0.html  :icon_thumleft:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal