Author Topic: snow on car roofs  (Read 3066 times)

ACE

• Hectare
snow on car roofs
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:56:18 »
Don't it make you mad when somebody cannot be bothered to clear their car roof ends up with it coming off and nearly causing me to have an accident. 10 minutes with a soft brush and it is off.  There is no law against it but if you cause an accident you can be charged.

I done our fleet yesterday, tingly fingers, snow in my face, even the start of chapped lips, means I will have to pop over the farm to kiss the pigs @rse. No it don't cure it, but it makes sure you don't keep licking your lips.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: snow on car roofs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:09:28 »
Up and out the house early today and there were loads of idiots who had just done the fron t and back windows. Driving around with 5-6 in he's of snow on the roof is a bit dumb... Saw the old bill pulling people last year for it..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 14:01:10 »
Chaps on your lips? Not good!! At least there are no laws against that!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 14:36:43 »
Yes..lazy snow 'cleaners' are everywhere...never mind having that snow flying on your own screen from other cars but then you are out and about walking...clump landing on you is not fun :angry4:

KISSING PIGS A***!.....surely it would be easier to borrow your wife's pink 'lippie'..and while you rummage in her make up bag, who knows what other cures you might find for yourself  :toothy10:

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 18:57:39 »
It's never occurred to me to remove it, and that's despite growing up in the Highlands. I do remember driving around a roundabout as fast as possible, back when I had the scooby, to make it fly off. Back when I was young and careless, not like now.

If inspector knacker is going to pull me over then I spose I better get scrubbing in the morning as it looks like we're finally going to join the rest of the UK and get a bit of snow by the morning.

Oh, and hi and happy new year to one and all!

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 20:22:34 »
Same here Ollie! Though I am having to use the Landy at the moment- and I cannot even reach to clear the windscreen ( Mr PKL comes out to do that for me)
I will have to  :blob9:

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:32:32 »
Just pinched this snip off Facebook, don't know for sure if it's gen or not:

Don't forget you can face a £60 fine and 3 points on your license for driving with a lot of snow on your car's roof. Just use a brush/broom rather than your scraper, takes 20 seconds to do.

Seems to make sense.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 07:08:32 »
Not sure you'd run the risk of driving off with this amount of snow on your roof, though! There has been masses of snow in the Pyrenees, particularly high in the two valleys that run south from  where we are.  80cm fell in one day last week - making a depth of nearly 2 metres! This photo is of a car at one of the nearest ski stations, Gourette. 

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:10:14 »
@ Peanuts - that isn't snow on a car roof, it's a car under a snowdrift  :tongue3: Even I would scrape that lot off!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 13:04:00 »
That car has been through avalanche  :toothy10:

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 20:44:00 »
Actually I am glad that I have read this thread, it is something I never really thought about but will from now on.

Just means getting up a bit earlier to get to work :sad10:

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 22:43:59 »
Re the dark grey car with a large pile of snow....it is probably genuine, as it is a left hand drive, so someone who is in the resort and parked up for a couple of weeks....although I've been to the alpes and seen weekly visitors who end up with that amount of snow after 6 days!!!  :happy7:
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 05:36:26 »
That amount of snow fell not in two weeks, but under two days!  It is at Gourette, not far from us, and the nearest ski station to us.  Absolutely a genuine photo! The road to the Spanish frontier from us has now been closed for 6 days, this is in an area well used to snow, and very efficient at clearing it (they laugh at the UK struggling with 4 or 6ins!). The two roads south from us both go through narrow gorges  and many steep valleys.  The roads themselves  are OK to drive with chains, but because the huge amount of snow last week fell very quickly, in 24 hours, and came on top of light unstable snow,  the avalanche risk has been extremely high and remains so. 

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 12:07:32 »
Yes I've seen people pulled over and so they should be. Also apart from landing on other people it can suddenly slide down your windscreen obscuring your view....what if someone crossed the road in front of you at that moment or the car in front stopped.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 17:40:03 »
Hi Ollie and Terrier! Missed your input. Happy new year to you both!

I used to love driving along the Edinburgh bypass very early in the morning on my way to work watching the snow flying off my car. Now I'm all growed up and retired I don't do it of course! :tongue3:

Actually I lie. If there was snow about my f-in-l would be out in the freezing dark Scottish morning clearing my car for me. Ah those were the days!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal