Author Topic: Don't do this at home  (Read 2101 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Don't do this at home
« on: January 09, 2013, 17:39:21 »
Last year I had a blackthorn go down the back of my thumbnail. Got it out, but the nail seemed to die off. eventually it fell right off. I was amazed when it started growing again and I got a full thumbnail back again. Over xmas it started dieing off again and yesterday it got a bit of a nuisance when it started flapping a bit. As it was still attached at the bottom I came up with the bright idea of a bit of superglue squeezed down the back to keep it in place. KI'NELL!  that really hurt, felt like it was on fire. tried to pull it off to wash it but it came away with a strip of thumb and I also ripped the quick that it was still attached to.

Can't go around to the quack, he got a bit stroppy the last time I tried to save the NHS some money an I sewed up a little gash on my leg. I suppose the superglue they use as stitches in hospital is not the same stuff as from the pound shop.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Don't do this at home
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 17:52:24 »
Ouch!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 18:04:33 »
I'd get to the docs if I was you Ace, even if he gives you a bit of STICK.   :wave:       :tongue3:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 18:24:08 »
Outch!

For future refrence..stick some tissue paper on broken nail (just teeny weeny sliver..and white would be best colour for the job) for act as new surface..and drop or two of super glue on the paper...let it dry. Once dry..smooth the surface with nail file and borrow some of your wife's colourless nail varnish...or pink if that's what you fancy :toothy10:...apply layer or two of the varnish, that should protect the nail until its grown back and can be cut again.
OR...take your lovely wife with you to nail salon and have your nails done...girly job your wife and repair job for you :icon_cheers:

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 21:28:23 »
Thanks for the warning Ace, had it occurred to you that scenario could not happen to anyone else but you!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 21:36:58 by pumpkinlover »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:00:06 »
OH will kill me if I tell on him, but the other night he picked up what he thought were his eye drops (for dry eyes) and was squeezing away wondering why the drops were so proving so difficult to coax out of the bottle.....turns out he had picked up his bottle of superglue by mistake!! Luckily it had scabbed over and none dropped in his eye....can you imagine what would have happened! Thats what happens when you take your glasses off....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 15:25:14 »
Quacks, I find in general, are not happy about the use of SuperGlue although it seems quite effective to me.  My dentist was quite annoyed when I stuck my crown back on with superglue a few years ago.  Annoyed I think because I didn't give him several weeks worth of wages to make me a new one. He did mutter something about toxicity but I had my mouth full of his fingers at the time so I couldn't make a coherent reply.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 16:22:32 »
OH will kill me if I tell on him, but the other night he picked up what he thought were his eye drops (for dry eyes) and was squeezing away wondering why the drops were so proving so difficult to coax out of the bottle.....turns out he had picked up his bottle of superglue by mistake!! Luckily it had scabbed over and none dropped in his eye....can you imagine what would have happened! Thats what happens when you take your glasses off....

He should have gone to Specsavers  :glasses9:
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal