Author Topic: What are we eating today?  (Read 23414 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
What are we eating today?
« on: November 09, 2012, 11:41:53 »
I've been busy in kitchen..and I was wondering what are you all going to fill your tummies with today/tonight?
Perharps this will come 'running thread' like 'weather and what you done in garden today' topics. Sometimes it is so 'hard work' to think what to do or what I fancy to eat, so getting ideas from others may get tastebud going with foods that didn't even enter our minds...no matter how fancy or humble it may be.

So...to start with..I'm going to have for my tea some chilli and rice..and top it up with bread and butter pudding!  :toothy10:

I've got so many 'bits and bobs' left over in fridge and cupboads to use up so anything and everything goes..'old'  bread, mincepie filling, almost over ripe apples...left over bolognese sauce turned into chilli with added peppers, mushrooms, chillies, runnerbean 'seeds'.
OH is not chilli head so he gets some chicken and veg rice for his main course...again..using up some left overs from roast chicken.
 :glasses9:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:16:49 by goodlife »

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: What are we eating today?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 11:57:19 »
 Goodlife, we are having breadcrumb chicken , with rice & courgettes rice is mixed with left over veg in the fridge, chicken has lots of chillie in the breadcrumbs yummmie.  Desert is apple crumble apples from our tree. we shall enjoy that we love anything chillie.  Always bring lots back from holidays.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 12:36:02 »
My freezers are choc-a-block with one portion meals I've frozen and this year's garden produce so I really don't have to cook for a couple of weeks. However, I am in the process of making my first batch of squash soup of the season so will enjoy a bowl of soup with some crusty homemade bread this evening and worry about finding space in the freezer for the rest tomorrow!

Being a one person household means that when I fancy lasagne, fish pie or coq au vin for example - then I end up with 3 or more portions for the freezer!

I keep telling myself to use them up before buying more but yesterday couldn't resist a lovely piece of fresh venison steak reduced from £5.99 to £3.99. Again too much for one person so I shall enjoy venison twice this weekend!

Tricia

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 12:37:56 »
I have barely eaten at all for most of the last week. I had no appetite and everything left a bad taste in my mouth.  About 11o'clock I thought I might fancy an omelette which I duly prepared with garlic and chives. It tasted absolutely delicious!! It really felt like rediscovering food! Followed by a Yeo Valley vanilla yoghurt (equally delicious) and a cup  of root ginger tea.

Now we're motoring!

I'm thinking some steamed lemon sole for dinner perhaps with roasted tomatoes and peppers or maybe just with carrots and peas. Then some fruit.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:53:13 »
I have just made a sweetcorn and chicken pie made from leftover roast chicken. I love making new meals from leftovers. We will have it with mashed potato :icon_cheers:

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 13:40:10 »
"gulp"..."drooling"..I could quite happily to invite myself for dinner into all of your houses.. :toothy10: ...sounds yummy.
I find cooking from left overs and/or reheating dishes often do make much tastier food than in first time round..

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 13:55:03 »
 We have just had home made tomato soup  (did not get a bad crop in the greenhouse considering) but I am going out for a curry tonight with the girls from work  :icon_cheers: It is nice for me as we have chosen somewhere walking distance from home so I may indulge in wine!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 15:48:46 »
Dug up some horseradish today....up until a couple of days ago I had it down as dock!   So am going to experiment and have some with fried steak.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 16:48:59 »
We took allotment  stew out of the freezer to the plot for lunch, shared it around with our mates and some crusty bread. Tonight it's plaice with charlotte wedges, peas, sweetcorn and sliced french beans, all from the freezer (trying to make room, we, too have made quiche, lasagne, fish pies and cottage pies for instant meals when we've been babysitting and we made lots of soup recently). Saves spending any more money  :toothy10:

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 19:51:46 »
My freezer is choc a bloc and I am two weeks in advance on my housekeeping!!!  Looking for ideas now.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 21:31:26 »
Dug up some horseradish today....up until a couple of days ago I had it down as dock!   So am going to experiment and have some with fried steak.

Well, it nearly blew the top of my head off!  I grated a little bit then mixed it with mayonnaise.  I like the  shop bought sauce but have obviously never had the real thing!  Can anyone suggest how I can tame it a bit?

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 22:45:51 »

Well, it nearly blew the top of my head off!  I grated a little bit then mixed it with mayonnaise.  I like the  shop bought sauce but have obviously never had the real thing!  Can anyone suggest how I can tame it a bit?

Sorry if this sounds sarcy..... but use less it is much stronger fresh and so much more tasty. Try it in tarter sauce it is great!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 23:32:06 »
it's Ok, you didn't sound sarky!  I did only try a little tiny bit.  How do you make tartare sauce?

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 08:31:15 »
it's Ok, you didn't sound sarky!  I did only try a little tiny bit.  How do you make tartare sauce?
Oops sorry that does get bought!! I think includes gerkins but at the moment it is one of the few things that I buy!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 10:49:43 »
Liver, bacon, onions and the smallest of my spuds get thrown in as well, on my own for a few days so I made enough to last.  :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:51 »

This is the recipe I use for tartare sauce. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/07/classic-tartare-sauce-recipe-nigel-slater
And some horseradish suggestions (including a recipe for horseradish cream sauce, from Hugh FW http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/nov/27/horseradish-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

Belladay

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 16:34:17 »
10 minute curry, recipe off of Utube.  I do cook it for longer though :happy7:

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 18:51:10 »
I emptied my kitchen today for the new kitchen coming on Tuesday.  :hello2:

There's going to have to be some creative cooking round here for the next 2-3 weeks!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 19:36:48 »
There's going to have to be some creative cooking round here for the next 2-3 weeks!
:toothy10:
Omelette with the last of yesterday's peas and sweetcorn, onion, lovely long red pepper and a few of the cherry toms I'm still managing to ripen, all with a lovely thick piece of granary bread , yum  :toothy10:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 20:52:46 »
Gosh..I don't know how I would manage without kitchen for that long. Suppose I would live with barbeque food..

Having spent all day outdoors..there was no proper cooking in our house today..just some sausage cobs and fruit for afters.
Naughty but nice  :toothy10:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal