Author Topic: cabbage  (Read 2288 times)

mazflint

cabbage
« on: October 02, 2013, 14:45:22 »
Hi All ,This is our first allotment and we are amazed at how much we have actually grown . I have managed to cook ,freeze and give away loads of our veg but am left with loads of cabbages as no one seems to like them ,what can I do with them? Thanks in anticipation of some good answers  Max x

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: cabbage
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 16:40:35 »
Cabbages will stand for quite a while in a cool place but it does depend on how much you have!
Pickled cabbage is one option but in my experience it goes soft in the jar quite quickly Basic recipe
If you are feeling adventurous then Sauerkraut or kimchi is doable but isn't so easy.
I guess the easiest thing to do is to blanch and freeze (and fart all Winter!)
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 19:30:48 »
Just a suggestion is that I find cabbage nicer if sliced thinly, I just think it cooks better. Stir fry with ginger and garlic , and bubble and squeak is my favourite!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 20:16:54 »
If they are round, tight cabbages green, white or red, then pull them,remove any decaying outer leaves, slugs etc and hang them by the root in a airy, shaded shed  or garage Could be good for several weeks, especially if the air temperature is around 40 deg F. Savoy types also but expect them to go a little limp.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 20:37:26 »
I cook mine slowly with onion, apple and herbs, OH likes it.  What about coleslaw?   Or bubble and squeak?   

Personally I cannot stand cabbage.   I prefer broccoli.   

Otherwise chop them up and put them in the compost bin.   

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 22:40:41 »
I find they keep quite well too depending on the variety. Cooking, I like to chop and fry bacon, which here is smoked, then toss the cabbage into the bacon fat, season with pepper no salt as it gets it from the bacon, then add just a tiny bit of water and let it slow simmer till soft, only a little while.

I do freeze it chopped by the way then use it in Borscht.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 07:27:14 »
A family favourite is cooking shredded cabbage lightly in boiling water, draining, then adding a creamy white sauce flavoured with garlic. I love it, and if you can make large quantities it freezes very well. I am always glad to come across a pack of garlic cabbage in my chaotic freezer, and once reheated it can be brightened up with a sprinkling of frozen peas and some parsley.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal