Author Topic: Waiting list - what waiting list?  (Read 7731 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Waiting list - what waiting list?
« on: October 28, 2012, 18:11:32 »
For the first time in about 8 years we no longer have a waiting list and we have
plots available.

I don't know whether it's because the Council increased the rents this year to
£75/£50/£40 for full/half/quarter plots (half price for over 60s) or if the miserable
summer has put people off.

I showed a half plot which was in excellent condition to a family and when they
found out the price, £50, they said they would wait for a full size plot as it was only
£25 more for double the size. 

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Waiting list - what waiting list?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 18:21:31 »
Personally I think the rent increases imposed by Birmingham were too steep, too quickly.  A couple of years ago it was only about a third of the current rent and people reckon you can buy loads of veg, and perfect at that, for the price of the rent.  I think quite a few on our site packed up as well due to the bad season together with all the hard work that an allotment entails.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 18:30:32 »
I can see the point, but how come a half plot costs  so much compared to a full one? Ours measure half and cost half. No-one is allowed a full untill had a half and then have to wait again for more land.  Do the council set the rent?
Similarly though we have not had as many join the list this year, and I will start to go through the list and get it down fromt the 45 it is at the moment (for 31 plots)!!

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 18:44:59 »
While rents and the miserable summer are undoubtedly factors I get the impression that the bout of enthusiasm for allotments in recent years is on the wane. People who have acquired plots ... and quite possibly given them up ... are spreading the word that allotments can be hard work, and that this is probably the primary reason for the reduction in the length of some waiting lists.

I understand that there are only a small number of people on our waiting list. I am concerned that discouragement due to the weather this year may in fact lead to some vacant plots next year.

In my opinion the demand for allotments is cyclical ... which means that another surge in enthusiasm will eventually appear.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 19:43:31 »
BAK  I totally agree with your post. The positive in this is that most of the folk who take on a plot now seem to either work it or give up without being pushed. That's progress!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 20:17:43 »
Do you think that the cycle of allotment enthusiasm depends on what is shown on TV?  ie: There was a rush in the 70s with The Goode Life and another after they showed the programme about allotments a few years ago, Joe Swift etc.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 20:46:10 »
So when did a quarter of £75 become £40?

I suppose there is a fixed cost to each tenancy agreement.  However I think more people should be given an opportunity to have allotments.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 06:01:05 »
The Council set the rents and I have no idea why they
set them as they did.  I have to explain to tenants that we,
the committee, do not have a say in what is charged and
hopefully they believe me. 

It doesn't seem fair that if you are over 60 the difference between
a quarter plot and a half plot is only £5.

Is it only in Birmingham that this has happened?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:08:24 »
I am not sure we are there yet in the downturn for demand for plots.
Maybe Lodon is different but when we opened our list in Jan (only for two months) we had over 30 applications.  As we only have 67 plots this means that those on the end of the lists may not get a call for years.  We will wait and see what happens next year when we review the situation.  Maybe the Summer has put people off - I know we have had a few members leave but we have enough demand for years to come.

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:53 »
I know in Sheffield that the over 60's and those on benefits get a reduction as someone brought me a clipping from the local paper. I think this only happens when the council set the rents.
We set our own rents based on our anticipated costs for the year, it would not be practical or fair to give discounts to older members, some of whom are substantially better off than the people who work.  How would it work for me and Mr PKL who is retired when I am sent out to work for his "beer tokens"   :dontknow:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:18:41 by pumpkinlover »

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:48:33 »
Yes we're seeing the same here in Surrey.  Up until a year ago there was a huge waiting list, now there are vacancies and the council are advertising plots.  The rent is still £42 for a full 10 rod plot or £21 for halves/OAP's.

I think the fad is over, coupled with a poor year weatherwise, and the realisation by many who took on a plot in recent years that its not quite as easy as it looks 'on the telly.

Baking is the new fad, therell be waiting lists for pastry cutters and flower nails next....
Best laid plans and all that

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 08:58:07 »
Does anyoone know if here in Birmingham people on benefits get an allotment rent free?

Belladay

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 09:16:22 »
With all the encouragement of growing on your patio is there that much need for an allotment these days?  I know you can’t grow the quantities in pots, potato bags etc. but do feel with what is on offer by the garden centres/gardening magazines it is taking the hard work out of growing your own compared to having an allotment.  So, can see the trend of having a plot being non existent in years to come.  Well, not quite but can see there being no waiting lists at all.

Fuchsias

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 09:18:21 »
Don't know about Birmingham but here in Chester those who are retired or on benefits get half price plots.  Worth giving your council a ring.

Baks I think you have hit the nail on the head re the wane in popularity.  Should there be another 'grow your own' type programme next year, watch the waiting lists increase.

Plots can be hard work and some newbies just do not have time to commit.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 10:43:01 »
Plots can be hard work and some newbies just do not have time to commit.
If I may correct that a little......plots ARE b****y hard work and newbies don't realize keeping up with allotment is lifestyle choice..not 'plod when you feel like it and end up with show piece veg as result'
We've had couple 'newbies' who managed to do their plots well for couple of years and have now decided to pack up..discouraged by bad weather and challenges with it and their ideas of perfect plots without weeds. No matter how much we've tried to convince them that they are not show gardens but working plots...but no.
This summer has definately slowed down eager plot 'hunters'.
We've got 3 plots now that nobody haven't snapped up yet..even that we have 'waiting list'.?!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 13:36:26 »
Does anyoone know if here in Birmingham people on benefits get an allotment rent free?

No, people on benefits do not get their plot rent free.
There are concessions for over 60s
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 14:56:24 »
Thanks for replies. 

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 15:19:13 »

Baking is the new fad, therell be waiting lists for pastry cutters and flower nails next....

:laughing7:
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 16:22:31 »
Baking is the new fad

Perhaps they will be back to veg growing when they discover just how fattening cakes are.

Maybe the enthusiasm will pick up in the spring.   Perhaps the weather will pick up too.

The BBC has commissioned a programme about allotments as of March 2012 which so far there has been no sign of it, so if it is screened presume there will be a sudden rush of applicants.

http://thehorticulturalchannel.info/2012/03/bbc-allotments-show-needs-you/

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 05:21:19 »
Spuds carrots Onions Cabbage all went up by nearly 23% last week in local Asdas. Spuds were £2.00 the week before now last week were £2.50. Allotment may be a hobby to some but just wait it will soon become a necessity. Yes keeping a plot means work and you have to take the disappointments with the joys of harvesting gluts. Its not only to grow good food but also a social thing also I do it to keep fit and active and keep the old grey matter alert. I just totted up my harvest for the past season and I saved £439.12 off my food bill some may say that's not bad but I was expecting at least £1050.00 the drop has been due to the wet summer but as  old chap said to me "theres always next year"   :sunny: 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal