Author Topic: Re assigning plots  (Read 5012 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re assigning plots
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:54:51 »
Hi folks
One of the problems of ever increasing waiting lists is that once someone rises to the top of the list...they have been waiting for so long that contact details have sometimes changed and I can't get hold of them...either that or they don't want a plot anymore and can't be bothered to reply to my text/email/phone calls...bit annoying but more importantly wastes a lot of time
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: Re assigning plots
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 14:21:18 »

Either way your name will be MUD!  Give the plot to the next and sooner or later the first person will gripe.   Sit tight and wait and the others on the list will gripe.

I would just do the best you can and ensure guidelines are entered into the constitution to cover this eventuallity.

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 14:40:59 »
Not sure if it needs putting into the constitution as waiting list people have no business seeing it till they become a member of our society. Will consider it though cheers Tony. I think the problem here is that folk have been merely emailing to go on our list...I have started asking potential WL folk to visit the plot to register interest instead to show willing...only time will tell if this will work better!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 16:55:09 »
When we invite people from the waiting list to come and view a plot and they either don't reply or don't turn up, we contact them again giving them 3 weeks to reply to confirm that they are still interested in a plot. If they don't reply their names are removed from the WL. Meantime we offer whatever is available to the next person on the list.

We also contact everyone on the WL once a year asking them to confirm/ update their contact details and that they are still interested in a plot. Again they are asked to reply within 3 weeks or their name will be removed from the WL. If someone phones up and says they've been on holiday and they're just back after the 3 week deadline we'd put them back in their former position on the list.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 17:01:15 »
I have the same problem. My next job is to write an application form to join the waiting list which will ensure I get the name, contact details and a give them a bit of information  about the site/ having an allotment. I am sure that some people forget that they even asked for a plot as soon as they put the phone down from telephoning me judging by the reactions when I telephone them back later. I think that we take our role more seriously than they do.
Also I intend asking people to come and see the site- I think Betty does this, it will save time later when a plot is free, and rule out someof the time wasters.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 17:06:03 »
Hi folks
One of the problems of ever increasing waiting lists is that once someone rises to the top of the list...they have been waiting for so long that contact details have sometimes changed and I can't get hold of them...either that or they don't want a plot anymore and can't be bothered to reply to my text/email/phone calls...bit annoying but more importantly wastes a lot of time

Hi Elvis - this is how I got my plot within 5 weeks of putting my name on the list..   :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

I was told it was about a 4 years waiting list as there were 12 people on the list... Well most of the people were not contactable so I and another person got to the top in an afternoon of no-answering of phones by the other 10!! I dont know how hard they tried but I'm NOT complaining.. I did get the worst plot but I have turned it around to one of the best in a year!!

Now I'm on the committee in charge of allocations and take over next week at our first committee meet since the AGM. then the problem becomes mine for the next generations of plot wanters..

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 17:11:44 »
This is the application form on our website. http://www.whaa.org.uk/applicationform.html Most of our applications come from the website with a few coming by word of mouth.

Over the last six months using these new procedures we have reduced our waiting list from over 65 to under 20. We have also introduced a 6 month trial period for new plot holders and starter plots to see if they can cope before taking on a full plot. It has been remarkably successful.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 18:02:02 »
As Pumpkinlover says, I ask people to come to the site before I put their name on the waiting list.

When they come, I show them around and 'interview' them in a very informal way.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 20:02:02 »
Thanks all for your input.. I am now asking people to visit first so they can be put fully in the picture of how much time it takes to keep on top of a plot. I have thought about contacting them all each year..but with 81 names on our waiting list I really dont have the time...as someone else said, I agree totally I treat the WL much more seriously than most of the names on it.
Will think about producing a form too, or just nick your one Gawrc! (think it was you! )

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 21:24:59 »
Thanks all for your input.. I am now asking people to visit first so they can be put fully in the picture of how much time it takes to keep on top of a plot. I have thought about contacting them all each year..but with 81 names on our waiting list I really dont have the time...as someone else said, I agree totally I treat the WL much more seriously than most of the names on it.
Will think about producing a form too, or just nick your one Gawrc! (think it was you! )

Welcome to use our one Rach if it helps!!

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 21:47:53 »
I have just written this, and e-mailed it to the committee. Any thoughts? I was planning to invite people to the site and have an informal chat  then if still interested they sign this.

BROCKWELL ALLOTMENT ASSOCIATION APPLICATION FORM FOR A HALF PLOT

Before completing this form you are asked to consider the following.
Having an allotment is a rewarding and healthy pastime. You will benefit from the fresh air, exercise and of course the home grown produce. However it is also a commitment, and many people do not realise the time it takes to care for the plot.
Weeds grow quicker than crops and keep coming back .Taking a week or fortnights holiday and many of us are amazed how the weeds have grown. If you do not have the time to come on a regular basis for a least half a day  a week during the growing period it is unlikely that you will be able to make a success of your plot.
In order to help keep the site tidy you may be asked occasionally to take part in work parties.
However there are many advantages of having an allotment but it is very much related to how much you put in both in terms of time and effort. By being part of an allotment association you will benefit from help and advice from other members, seeds at reduced cost and many members pass on spare plants and produce in a friendly and informal manner. Brockwell Allotment Association also has a Christmas meal and a Summer get-together. 
Allotments at Brockwell are full sized 300sq yards ( 10 rod plots) and many people find that this is too large for them, for this reason all new members are allocated a half plot and if they care for this and wish for more land they have to go on the waiting list again, however many people find that a well looked after half plot is sufficient for their needs and life styles. In common with many well run sites the committee have site meetings four times a year to assess the plots, this is to prevent the plots becoming neglected and overgrown and to be fair to everyone on the site, and people who are waiting for a plot. When offered a plot you will sign a form to say that you have read and understood the rules of the site. Whilst on the waiting list you will be contacted on occasions to confirm that you still wish to be on the list. If you do not respond to these on three occasions your name will be taken off the list. If you move and change contact details please inform the  secretary.
If you have read the above and  wish to go on the waiting list for Brockwell Allotments please complete the following.

NAME………………………………………………………………….

ADDRESS…………………………………………………………….

…………………………………………………………………………….

TELEPHONE NUMBER……………………………………………

E-MAIL…………………………………………………………………………

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 06:07:24 »
PL, I think your application form is excellent and IF we ever have a
waiting list again it's something I would consider doing (if you didn't mind)

Although I always meet people before adding them to the waiting list
sometimes it's easy to get sidetracked when talking to them and forget
to mention things which are important.  If people have it in writing
this wouldn't happen.

Have you had any feedback from the committee yet?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 08:01:16 »
I think this is great.

A half day per week
this seems to me to require a great deal of organisation to be successful and not just during the growing season, it is also needed for pregrowing time and the post growing clear up and prep. Simply harvesting and chatting seems to take me quite a lot of time.

I  personally think you need to be rather stronger about the work parties not just
you may be asked occasionally to take part in work parties
but you will be required to take part in them.

I also think you need a little set of questions such as 'how long per week do you expect to spend on your allotment', to check they have actually read it.

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 08:04:47 »
Thanks Betty, no I only wrote it last night and posted it on here at the same time as I e-mailed it to them.
 We have a lot of day dreamers on our waiting list so it appears huge but in reallity very few are real gardenenrs. The ones I have set on this year have been really good though, usually you just KNOW. Funny how you get that skill after a couple of years in the job!!

Thanks for kind comments. Just read what you put Digeroo and agree that the half day needs to be the actuall focused working on the plot minimum!
I've made the work party bit woolly because we have poor turnout from our existing members (will see what happens on Saturday!!) and we need to get this concept more imbeded in members minds. But if I start off saying "it is expected" .....hm yes I think that is a good idea!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:09:57 by pumpkinlover »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 08:39:10 »
We do surveys occasionally to see what members think about a variety of things. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of members who feel that every plot holder should do at least three hours' work per year for the site. With 106 members a lot of work would get done!

Another thing that surprises me is the number of folk who blithely take on a plot with absolutely no gardening experience and no clue how to go about running a plot. Some don't even know how to dig!!! :BangHead:

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 20:46:58 »
I try to telephone next on the waiting list when a plot becomes available.  After a week I move to next on the list and the council send a letter to the address on file stating we have tried to contact them to offer an allotment, and if they are still interested to update contact details with the council within 2 weeks.  If no reply is received they are removed from the waiting list, this is also stated in the letter.  If they do reply, they would be offered the next available plot. 

As I work full time and do supervisor as a volunteer, I don't wait several weeks for a response because the plot would become more overgrown in the meantime.  I do not offer to show prospective tenants round the site as it is too time consuming and seems a waste of time especially when they will be shown around the site at the time of offering them a plot. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 08:11:27 »
Me too KT, I only give them a week at most to respond these days. Esp at this time of year when plot clearing time is limited by the dark evenings.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal