Author Topic: York  (Read 1599 times)

ACE

• Hectare
York
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:09:42 »
Is it still a bit mucky up there? As my summer break is coming to an end I thought I would go out and about for a few weeks and the Yeti in pink knickers would like to go to York for her birthday. The Caravan site in York has been closed for while because of the floods, so I am going to a small site about 3 miles out from the city, hopefully everything will be dried out by then if we don't have anymore monsoons. Any info from members in that area would be appreciated.

Going to stop off in Cambridge on the way up for a few days but as that is reputed to be the driest part of the country I cannot see a problem, but coming back from York we will stop at Waltham and providing we don't get mugged by some lowlife in that shady area we will take in a show up the west end. What are the best shows on at the moment in the smoke?

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: York
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 13:02:07 »
 Ace, York , is one of my favourite places in this country so much to see. Do go to the Castle museum, of later day its brilliant.There is so much for everyone to see. There is a pub there with a water wheel (if its still open) That does a mean curry & some other very nice food.
I hope it is dry for you.   Have a walk around the high stone wall some nice views. Do both enjoy yourselves.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 13:15:10 »
Good choice! So much to do and see in the area. Last visit we stayed in  selfcatering accommodation where there is a caravan site as well a short distance from York near a park and ride site (south side). Might be the same place it was a very good location. We had a day out going to Whitby via steam train from Pickering. Find the snickleways guide which is a very good walking tour of York....though it's quite long and tiring. The National Railway Museum...if you're into trains (I am); Castle Howard; Take a tour of the minister the guides a very good. I highly recommend the Ghost tour which leaves from the Minster steps (evening can't remember what time).
Cambridge is boring!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 14:03:40 »
The flood waters have subsided now but some pubs close to the river are still closed because of damage, or they were last week and I read today that York Dungeon is closed until further notice. It's absolutely beautiful today so hopefully that will dry things out a bit more. As long as you're not planning any riverside walks, everything should be much as normal.

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 17:59:17 »
My wife and I vist York 8 or 10 times per year,It is such a beautiful place to visit,plenty to do and see,We have been on all of the ghost walks and we have enjoyed all of them,but we both agree that the ghost walk that starts at the Golden Ball pub is the best one to go on,it takes about 45 mins to 1 hour,The guide is very informative about the history of the city,it leaves the pub at about 7.30pm but may be earlier now the dark nights are closing in,so please check before you get there,i believe the pub has a website (google it)as they are supposed to be the most haunted pub in York,and they have rooms you can stay in overnight,they also do some very nice food,We enjoy calling in to all the pubs with lots of history about them of which there are many,(good job i only have half a pint in each one).If you need any more information don`t hesitate to contact me,Hve a great time and please let us know how youre visit went.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 18:23:48 »
The ghost walk sounds like a plan, she is as gullible as hell and watches all that Most Haunted rubbish on the telly. I can wait at the pub while she gets taken off for an hour.   :happy7:

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 20:44:35 »
Been to York many many times.Jim and I spent our Honeymoon there and had a great time.

We have been on the ghost walk and it is good fun

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 11:32:42 »
The ghost walk sounds like a plan, she is as gullible as hell and watches all that Most Haunted rubbish on the telly. I can wait at the pub while she gets taken off for an hour.   :happy7:
I went on a ghost walk in Edinburgh many years back and it was loads of fun, the scares got a bit silly at the end but the historical part was entertaining and it was lovely to poke around at night and feel very safe in a big group.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal