Author Topic: Blackbird chicks disturbed  (Read 1895 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Blackbird chicks disturbed
« on: August 10, 2012, 17:46:54 »
Yesterday morning I was going out and discovered my neighbour had trimmed my hedge again. Not just the bit he's entitled to either (i.e. the bit over hanging his garden) but also the top. However I told him before going away for our Easter holiday that he couldn't cut any of it as a blackbird was nesting. I had been renovating the hedge and i'd stopped for a few days due to illness and she had moved in. He said it'll be gone in a few weeks and I said no she could keep nesting until September so he would have to put up with the unsightly hedge...when I came back from holiday it looked like he'd trimmed his side and the blackbirds eggs were still in the nest unhatched. I waitied several weeks but it was clear she wasn't coming back so i finished the hedge. It grew back quickly and I've noticed the female blackbird very busy in and out so I knew I had to wait to trim the hedge. however my neighbour has again ignored my warnings...about 5 years in a row now and cut it.
later in the day I arrived home to find displaced chicks in my front garden and so disorientated that as I got out of the car one hopped up and sat on the windscreen wipers. i don't see them today not surprisingly as the other neighbours cat is very quick to clean up.
I am furious...one that my hedge has been massacred again just after I spent a week fixing the damage my neighbour has done with his trimmer...it's a cotonester laetus not suitable for using a trimmer. I cut it with secateurs only. It was full of damaged coral spot infected branches after his hedge trimmer cuts. Now I'm back to square one and i suspect he's killed off not one but two lots of blackbirds this year.
My OH doesn't want me to rock the boat, things got a bit difficult a few years ago when we had words but i think this guy just takes the P now. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Blackbird chicks disturbed
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 18:02:39 »
Some people just don't care, and want to impose their wants on everyone around. We had one in cornwall, who insisted that our hedge - growing on our side of the wall, ten feet above the level of their garden - was theirs. They climbed on top of their garage and cut it several times, and then lost interest.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 22:37:49 »
 Put some barbed wire in your hedge now its cut then if he tries again it will buckle his trimmer. The horrible man.  >:( >:(  How dare he cut your hedge without permission i would definetly put something in the hedge.

Blackbirds do like to nest in Cotonester.

I do hope the Blackbirds come back in the spring, after he has buckled his trimmer.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 00:05:02 »
I confess I have been thinking of winding some wire around the stems for next time for my shrubs on the other side of the house the other neighbour is even worse and pulls out plants and pruned shrubs which are nearly a metre from his boundary.
I'm Fed up with both of them but more upset for the blackbirds.
Tempted to write to local paper pointing out why you should look before you cut your hedge. Mind you they are so ignorant they probably can't read well enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal