Author Topic: How to keep a new chick hydrated.  (Read 1939 times)

Nigel B

• Hectare
How to keep a new chick hydrated.
« on: July 10, 2012, 21:28:36 »

Hi folks.:)
After most chicks hatched, we found an egg with a small hole in it that had rolled away from the rest and gone cold. The hen had moved a small distance away with her new chicks too.
On closer inspection, and just before it went in the bin, I noticed a tiny movement inside.
On taking it indoors I could see that the chick inside was alive but hopelessly weak, so we warmed in up by holding it partly submerged in some warm water while we went to work on the shell.. It took three-quarters of an hour to fully release the poor wee thing. It picked up rather well though so I placed it under the hen for the night after dark hoping for the best, but, not expecting much.

Lo and behold, it was still alive this morning, although quite obviously a good way behind it's nest-mates. Since then though it hasn't done so well. The hen seems to be rejecting it, as I keep finding it buried the straw while she's sitting on the rest. I have her under there again now its dark, but I'll probably have to take it away again tomorrow, assuming it makes it that far.

So. Water. How will I go about getting it to drink? I'm also assuming that it will wake up thirsty tomorrow as it will have absorbed its egg-sac by then. Yes?  Any suggestions? Or am I wasting my time and efforts.?
Cheers folks. :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: How to keep a new chick hydrated.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 22:21:21 »
I must admit that we're a bit more hard-hearted about chicks that can't make it out of the shell.  But given that he's alive, you can hardly just abandon him.

First, have you introduced it to its dish of water and made it drink?  Hold it gently and tip it so that its beak goes into the water and it is forced to take a sip.  Once it's swallowed some water it'll immediately understand and will drink when it wants to.

Second, do you have an artificial brooder?  I'd be inclined to take the runt and one of his siblings and put them under an electric hen with their own supply of chick crumbs and water, until they're both 2 or 3 weeks old.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:39:04 »
Did the little one pull through?

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 22:11:09 »
No, it didn't live Pumpkinlover, despite the good advice given by Melbourne12.
It lived through the next day, but never managed to gain its feet and its legs adopted that 'splayed' position.
I placed it under the hen again the second night and all seemed well until the morning when I discovered it, pretty much trampled to death by the look of it.
I can accept the hen knew best and I should not have interfered at that late stage.

Thanks again guys.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal