Author Topic: Slugs, pellets, cats and fleece  (Read 1261 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Slugs, pellets, cats and fleece
« on: April 22, 2012, 22:04:13 »
This isn't the 20th question by far...

I thought maybe I'd had poor germination from my carrots at first. I'm now realising the reality - our slippery little nemesies, after I'd found a good portion of what had "come up" has also disappeared with some tell-tale stalk-stumps and slug trails. OK I let the slug pellets get eaten/washed away and replaced them.

My questions really are is the fleece providing a nice moist safe haven for the little s@!ts and is ferric sulphate based bait any good? I'm a little anxious about using metaldehyde due to having two cats, although I have to say they've shown no interest in the pellets whatsover anyway.

Any comments by seasoned slug fighters on the fleece and ferric sulphate bait vs. metaldehyde would be most welcome. Any poor cat adoptees on want to chip in on safety I'd like that too as I'm still unsure. And why, oh, why do our furry little buddies unerringly find a row that's just been seeded when they need the toilet? I mean there's a whole empty plot! I'm sure any moggie owners know the feeling only too well, though! All I can do is feel annoyed and then laugh. At least there's no mice!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Slugs, pellets, cats and fleece
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 22:54:18 »
Ferric sulphate is non-toxic but might give you the runs.... it doesn't taste ni\e either... Cats do that cos the soil has been made marvelous just there... make a bit of marvelous soil elsewhere and they'll use that instead....

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Re: Slugs, pellets, cats and fleece
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 23:13:25 »
Em..is the comments on ferric from personal experience chriscross?  ;)

Seriously, cheers, though. I think i'll put a wee bit in for my beloved tormentors, dig 6" of soil out over a couple of square feet and replace with the most most perfectly luxurious compost. Obviously keep it in area with plenty cover and dot a couple of catnip plants nearby. The little "treasures" will probably still ignore it ;D. Worth a try though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal