Author Topic: New settees  (Read 3758 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
New settees
« on: March 20, 2012, 18:04:13 »
So excited, as new settees that we ordered after Xmas due for delivery today.  OH got stuck in the door trying to get the old settee out and was very bad tempered, especially as I was trying to get out the door to go to tennis.  Decided it was not a very good idea, so had to make him a cup of tea, and try and lift the settee out, onto the pavement.  They don't take the old one away, should have gone to John Lewis, but too poor.  The settees arrived, and I did say (after the delivery men said hope we have the right colour as the first delivery was wrong), and they put them up, that 3 seater was not meant to have a manual adjustable seat, but did, and they were not too happy, and said I had a more expensive model and didn't have to use it, so signed for it.  After waiting 3 months, didn't want to wait another 3 months.  Put the throws on and the cat thought it was OK, although miserable OH said the cat would have to sleep in the kitchen and outdoors for the rest of his life, but bit my tongue, the cat or him, no choice.  Well, the shop has just rang up and we have the wrong settee, so they are coming tomorrow to change it.  Told them the cat was asleep on it, but that didn't seem to matter.  Why can't shops get the simpiest thing right.  OH in a really bad mood now as after going to the trip with the old settee and chairs told him he couldn't dump them as he had a van and had to pay.  Rang the Council and we still have to pay £25.  No wonder people dump stuff.  Anyway the answer is to cut them up and take them in son's car.  I didn't want white leather, but OH did, and now he is moaning about cats, children etc. We have lovely settees that we can't sit on.

betula

• Hectare
Re: New settees
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 18:29:21 »
Hope it all sorts out B ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 18:48:08 »
New settee's, new tele, new carpets, she aint doing bad for an old bird pleading poverty.   :P :D ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 21:22:20 »
Kev, the only reason we have new carpets, settees, and no new TV, as if you bang it, it still works, is because my lovely son got divorced and my lovely 3 grandchildren come every other weekend to stay, and son has moved back here, and the carpets were 25 years old (and the cat fleas were jumping and biting).  We have not got enough bedrooms so lovely new settee is for 17 yr. grandchild to sleep on.  After all this upheaval lovely son has met a lovely lady on facebook, but at least we have tidied up the house, but I am very, very hard up.  All donations, Kev, gratefully received, but have enough seeds to feed them all for next year (I hope). Bl...dy kids, grandkids, but we love them really.  Son has to pay £900 a month to ex-wife for the 3 children and she went off with another man (another story) so super Mum to the rescue. 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:11:02 »
WHITE! I hope you do not have scottish relatives if you have I should get some of these in.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:52:37 »
Above post could only be from Ace.  LOL.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 12:39:16 »
It gets worse, could only happen to me.  Well they bought the right settee today, but two large men couldn't get it through the door into the living room.  The one they delivered yesterday with the manual foot rests was for another customer so had to go back, that one went through the door as it wasn't solid. Well they said I could cancel the whole delivery and they would take both settees back, or I could have a man round to dismantle the large settee at a charge of £100 (approx.) and they could put it in the back garden until the man came.  After many ciggies and a glass of wine for me (and it was only 10 am), they had another go, and measured the back gate and the lean to doors, which OH took off and eventually they got the settee in, through the back and lean to, with great difficulty. OH is now putting the doors back on the lean to and they won't work probably so he is not a happy bunny. I did say that I thought they should tell you in the shop if they think it is going to be a problem to get it in the house, thought doors were standard.  Anyway, all ends well, I hope.  Did think cancel the whole thing and get the old settee and chairs out of the van, but all sorted now.  Nice one ACE.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 14:38:04 »
Sounds like every delivery I have ever had. Latest was new bed after two days we noticed dip in middle and a roll together. So now we're waiting for a new matress with the warning  from the guy who came around to check it was faulty that if the next one was faulty it wouldn't get replaced. Now I'm worried ....it wasn't cheap and I may have to not sleep for the next 10 years.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 22:57:06 »
If it's faulty and not fit for purpose they have to replace it till they get it right.  Do not let them hide behind shoddy goods and service.  They have a duty to deliver what you've paid for - a proper mattress.
Obxx - Vendée France

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 03:06:17 »
Goodness what a story, I am so pleased you finally got sorted amd hope the cat doesn't use it to sharpen his claws as it looks very nice.

Ace....wherever do you find them

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 09:02:39 »
Delivery men are not equipt with brains or will that would work in tight spaces.. ::) Yes, we've had similar problems too. Last time we had new settee the chap in shop said that he will personally come and measure the the way in to see if we get the new settee in before committing to buy it.
He came and measured and said yes...but it will be close fit and when he left he said "when they come with settee and the chaps are starting to say 'they don't fit in'...tell them that I said they WILL fit in!''.. :o
So, the delivery day came and it all happened as the chap in shop predicted..I delivered his message and after carefully thinking their options the delivery men did manage to get the new funiture in.. ::)
How many of us really have homes that you would manage to walk in with great chunky funiture without needing to 'twist and turn' around the bends to get them in? I doubt there is that many 'mansions' with 'factory' doors.. ::)

White settee..very nice.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 09:05:39 »
It gets worse, could only happen to me.  Well they bought the right settee today, but two large men couldn't get it through the door into the living room.  The one they delivered yesterday with the manual foot rests was for another customer so had to go back, that one went through the door as it wasn't solid. Well they said I could cancel the whole delivery and they would take both settees back, or I could have a man round to dismantle the large settee at a charge of £100 (approx.) and they could put it in the back garden until the man came.  After many ciggies and a glass of wine for me (and it was only 10 am), they had another go, and measured the back gate and the lean to doors, which OH took off and eventually they got the settee in, through the back and lean to, with great difficulty. OH is now putting the doors back on the lean to and they won't work probably so he is not a happy bunny. I did say that I thought they should tell you in the shop if they think it is going to be a problem to get it in the house, thought doors were standard.  Anyway, all ends well, I hope.  Did think cancel the whole thing and get the old settee and chairs out of the van, but all sorted now.  Nice one ACE.
Borlotty,got a similar problem ,just got rid of the old sofa leather,O H had to take off the arms to get it out the door,and dismantle the bed inside it went out like Lego,well now we are 5 weeks waiting for the the Laura Ashely only could afford there sofa in there sale!so we were measuring the doors upside down and back to front etc!phoned Laura/A up to ask if they could delivered with arms off NO they would not  let there furniture out of there factory in bits for the customer to put together, they said it would cost to cancell, by this time OH is telling me it will fit ,I began to feel sick dreding the carry on thats to come O H is well p---ed off with me nagging about it  am tryinig to chill about it !                                                      

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 13:49:30 »
I have Laz-y-Boy couches with reclining end seats. Very heavy - but they are built so that the backs are removable which makes them much easier to get through the doors.

Tricia

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 14:08:51 »
I certainly wouldn't pay to dump the old ones! Put a free ad on teh  Net or on Freecycle - if someone doesn't come in 24hr to relieve you of them I will eat my hat. Do you not have a charity like the Salvos that would accept them? Even if old, if you don't have a place to sit., it's better than the floor!

ACE, you are a wag, young man! I also spat my coffee.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal