Author Topic: The Good News Thread 2012  (Read 57047 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: The Good News Thread 2012
« Reply #280 on: September 14, 2012, 18:12:58 »
On Sunday I will be with all three of my children for the first time since my son went off traveling nearly 2 years ago.  :D We have seen them all separately and they've seen each other but we haven't all been together. The bad news is it'll be for a few hours only and by next Sunday it'll be just the two of us again! :'(

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #281 on: September 15, 2012, 00:05:16 »
Enjoy your family meet-up Caroline – I bet it’ll be frantic with everyone sharing news at the same time. Hope you have a lovely time.

Congratulations Sue! I won’t say “you must be crackers” as I read you are aiming for Adult Ed rather than the frenetic life of a primary school teacher. I’ve just done my time (36 years) so now life is a whole lot less hectic (I do have to remind myself of that fact quite frequently when caring for my parents!)

My news (daft as it may seem)…. My new indoor aviary arrived after an initial disaster as the first shipment vanished in a DFR/DHL distribution centre in Germany so I had to reorder. How can anyone lose an 84lb package?

My family decided I needed a hobby to fill the spaces when I’m not looking after my parents and when I haven’t the time to escape to the allotment. I bred foreign finches, budgies and cockatiels years ago. My idea of getting a couple of budgies to keep my 97 yr old father amused has escalated.  I’ve now started drawing plans for an aviary and birdhouse project for next spring.    ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #282 on: September 17, 2012, 08:07:09 »
After pretty bad referred back ache a couple of years ago, that showed up as severe hip ache and at its worst made it nearly impossible to walk more than a couple of hundred yards, I got sorted out by an excellent NHS physiotherapist.  To start with he diagnosed correctly that there was nothing wrong with my hip, where a private osteopath had failed to diagnose the problem entirely!

Have been getting a lot fitter since.  Last week I set myself the challenge to cycle to my son's place at 65 miles over hilly ground.  OH kindly agreed to fetch me if it was all too much which was very reassuring.  I did manage it.

Bad news - I now want a better bike with better brakes and more gears making going up hills easier to save a lot of walking :sunny:

I am so grateful that I could do it and that I had support, dinner and overnight to help me and finally overcome this health worry.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #283 on: September 17, 2012, 08:35:14 »
On Sunday I will be with all three of my children for the first time since my son went off traveling nearly 2 years ago.  :D We have seen them all separately and they've seen each other but we haven't all been together. The bad news is it'll be for a few hours only and by next Sunday it'll be just the two of us again! :'(

Oh Ccaroline I do sympathise.  I love the occasions we are all together and the children's partners have become part of the family too.  Hope you had a really happy time together. 

Welcome to baby Joshua!  Good on you SueK!  Glad the bird paradise arrived at last.  This must be some structure Aden Roller! 

September looks like making up for some of the disappointments this summer.  :icon_cheers:

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #284 on: September 18, 2012, 01:50:51 »
Galina.... "65 miles" cycle ride :occasion14: Fantastic!

I've not driven for the last 38 years instead use a bicycle to get around. Anything more than about 12 miles and I get the bus or let the train take the strain.

You deserve a new bike after that achievement.  :glasses9:

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #285 on: October 14, 2012, 18:59:56 »
I have now lost 4 stone in 51 weeks :icon_cheers: & as a pressy for getting there a lovely friend suggested I had a layered cut as I have very thick hair. I took the plunge on Friday. I think it's called a graduated bob, whatever it's called I LOVE IT. I'm no longer woken up in the middle of the night with hair in my face.

We picked 2 of the grandchildren up from school on Friday & the 14 year old was very complimentary but the youngest (aged 6) waited until mummy was putting her to bed & said, 'Have you seen grandma, she looks different & what about her hair. That's not grandma'.

Well done Galina, that was some bike ride & yes you do deserve a new bike.

So lovely to read everyones good news.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #286 on: October 14, 2012, 19:23:11 »
Go girl, sounds like a well earned treat, Well done you  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #287 on: October 14, 2012, 19:23:55 »
Finally managed to buy the holiday home we've wanted for ages, Scorton, near Lancaster, just been for the weekend, had a lovely rest , back raring to go  :toothy10:
Well done, Janet  :icon_cheers:

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #288 on: October 17, 2012, 09:20:42 »
Finally managed to buy the holiday home we've wanted for ages, Scorton, near Lancaster, just been for the weekend, had a lovely rest , back raring to go  :toothy10:

Congratulations - I bet you're well chuffed.  :icon_cheers:

When's the house-warming party?  :occasion16:

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #289 on: October 17, 2012, 10:11:48 »

Congratulations - I bet you're well chuffed.  :icon_cheers:

When's the house-warming party?  :occasion16:
the site shuts in a couple of weeks so next season  :toothy10:

My mammogram came back clear, Yaaaay  :icon_cheers:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #290 on: October 17, 2012, 11:08:18 »
About a year after she was told she was being made redundant and 8 months after leaving that job my daughter has finally got a new job.  She had worked her socks of for the previous company so had been really gutted.  She did not feel that they had chosen the best staff to remain so she felt very bitter about it.  Those people who did the least work seemed to have the most energy left to blow their own trumpets.

Anyway she says everyone is so nice at the new company and so helpful and supportive. 

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #291 on: October 18, 2012, 05:24:49 »

My mammogram came back clear, Yaaaay  :icon_cheers:

Good news  :sunny:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2012, 09:26:57 »
Manics, that's lovely news on both counts.   :icon_biggrin:

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #293 on: October 18, 2012, 09:37:19 »
and a good birthday present Manics!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #294 on: October 18, 2012, 20:45:31 »
Manics, great news, pleased for you! Digeroo, glad to hear your daughter is doing well again :)

I do like a bit of good news!

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #295 on: October 19, 2012, 23:34:06 »
I have now lost 4 stone in 51 weeks :icon_cheers: & as a pressy for getting there a lovely friend suggested I had a layered cut as I have very thick hair. I took the plunge on Friday. I think it's called a graduated bob, whatever it's called I LOVE IT. I'm no longer woken up in the middle of the night with hair in my face.

We picked 2 of the grandchildren up from school on Friday & the 14 year old was very complimentary but the youngest (aged 6) waited until mummy was putting her to bed & said, 'Have you seen grandma, she looks different & what about her hair. That's not grandma'.

Well done Galina, that was some bike ride & yes you do deserve a new bike.

So lovely to read everyones good news.
well done you to lose all that weight and getting your hair style changed now your getting a new image, get a new wardrobe your clothes must be falling of you wishe i could lose some weight go for it.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #296 on: October 20, 2012, 18:19:29 »
I found my wedding ring in the garden today.It has been missing for nearly 4 months.  :happy7:

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #297 on: October 20, 2012, 20:34:03 »
I found my wedding ring in the garden today.It has been missing for nearly 4 months.  :happy7:

Excellent!! I bet you were pleased.  :sunny:

I lost mine more than 25 years ago on the football pitch... it's now somewhere under the new school I guess.  :icon_scratch:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #298 on: December 12, 2012, 08:38:30 »
It's lovely to read everyone's news, especially when it's been a challenging year.

My news is that I've been accepted onto a teacher training course (further education), starting next week!  :D
Currently feeling joy, anticipation and sheer panic, all at the same time! :)

How is it going SueK?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #299 on: December 12, 2012, 09:56:27 »
I have had nothing but bad news and bad luck for the whole year :-(  So I am just hoping that 2013 will bring better things! I will make some good New Years resolutions to give a boost to that!
It is nice to hear everyone else's good news though, makes me feel optimistic!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal