Author Topic: So who is sowing what when? (2012)  (Read 8747 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: So who is sowing what when? (2012)
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 17:57:06 »
I just planted my broad beans, in pots to keep them away from wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beasties with nasty sharp teeth and large appetites. Aquadulce Claudia, Wizard field beans, Dumont's (a green-seeded Californian landrace), Crimson Flowered, Grando Violetto, Red Bristow's from the HSL, and a couple of Red Epicure crosses. I'm going to grow them all together, save seed, and probably add a couple more varieties to the mix next year.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 18:05:45 »
Made the ground ready for Parsnips with Hamburg Parsley to follow soon
A small row of Nantes Carrots in a bath
 ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 16:13:15 »
Robert, do they cross fertilise?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 17:04:34 »
BB's are one of the most enthusiastic outbreeders around; that's why I've given up on trying to grow a specific variety. I'll just let them all hybridise, add more varieties, including field beans if I can find more which have been bred for human consumption rather than cattle feed, and see where I end up.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 18:09:31 »
Nothing outside yet but all the toms,peppers and aubergines are sown. It`s now pricking out time and already one greenhouse is full of babies hoping to find good homes later on.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 19:55:07 »
Three varieites of TPS today; Skagit Magic, Blue Belle and Russian Blue. Lots of Skagit Magic, since it's allegedly blight resistant. It didn't get tested last year as there wasn't any blight.

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 20:44:28 »
started my sweet peas,morning glory and toms in the gh and started my onion sets in modules for a kick start for planting out in a few weeks.

my desiree are chitting nicely in wait..

will start my peas in modules in the gh this week as i had great results this way last year,was a super crop  ;D

have leeks and carrots to start yet,maybe next week.then my sweetcorn,pumpkins and courgettes indoors at the months end.

managed to get on top of the lottie now,little digging left and a raised bed to build ( for herbs).

thinking of growing french beans again or runners so will need to sort my canes out

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 21:05:32 »
purple podded mange tout going in tomorrow, plus some more salad leaves. Little gem started off today, plus more radish, spring onions and early carrots under fleece. Sowed the rest of the early pre chitted parsnips, need to start more this week  ;D

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 21:32:24 »
Having been 'allotted' an allotment only a week ago, I've sown nothing so far. Tomorrow will be a day of digging and planning.
However, I have a class of budding gardeners (aged 5/6) who have been amazed and delighted at how they can make a plant pot out of a carefully folded sheet of scrap paper and so I have a classroom full of broad beans, runner beans, french beans, potatoes chitting on the windowsill, dill, coriander, alpine strawberries, sunflowers, marigolds, etc. But they've all been wise enough to label them with their names as well as labelling the plantpots with what they have grown.
After years without a garden suited to a true veg grower, I now have 26 school allomenteers, with their own plot to tend and sod all grown for my own patch of heaven.
Time to redress the work/life balance! Happy weekend :) I've had to spend the week since getting my lottie writing reports. The weekend is mine!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2012, 00:13:46 »
Having been 'allotted' an allotment only a week ago, I've sown nothing so far. Tomorrow will be a day of digging and planning.
However, I have a class of budding gardeners (aged 5/6) who have been amazed and delighted at how they can make a plant pot out of a carefully folded sheet of scrap paper and so I have a classroom full of broad beans, runner beans, french beans, potatoes chitting on the windowsill, dill, coriander, alpine strawberries, sunflowers, marigolds, etc. But they've all been wise enough to label them with their names as well as labelling the plantpots with what they have grown.
After years without a garden suited to a true veg grower, I now have 26 school allomenteers, with their own plot to tend and sod all grown for my own patch of heaven.
Time to redress the work/life balance! Happy weekend :) I've had to spend the week since getting my lottie writing reports. The weekend is mine!

After 36 years of teaching full time I know exactly where you're coming from!!

How I wish you hadn't typed the word "reports"  :(  I'd forgotten all about the rotten things and the endless hours I've spent in the past producing them by the ream.

Your plot will truly be a bit of heaven. I loved escaping to mine. It was, at times, the only thing that kept me sane. ;)

Getting one was a very wise move. Getting time to go down there...  ???

I wish you lots of enjoyment.  :)  :)  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2012, 09:52:10 »
Sowed sunflowers yesterday.    :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2012, 11:25:30 »
spuds onions broadbeans to day....AT LAST !!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2012, 16:35:26 »
celeriac is showing at last, just sowed some purple podded mange tout in a gutter  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2012, 19:33:14 »
celeriac is showing at last, just sowed some purple podded mange tout in a gutter  ;D

I hope the neighbours don't park their car on them!!!  :o

;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2012, 21:01:54 »

I hope the neighbours don't park their car on them!!!  :o

;D ;D
;D ;D

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2012, 15:54:21 »
Five rows of potatoes (40 plants) and 300 onion sets in today. Tomorrow parsnips, salsify, early carrots beetroot and peas are going to be planted.

First french beans sown in the greenhouse and cucumber, possibly also melons  to be sown by the end of the week.

Busy, busy time of the year - but fun too. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal