Author Topic: Autumn fruiting raspberries  (Read 1379 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Autumn fruiting raspberries
« on: March 06, 2012, 19:55:11 »
I have been round to my allotment for the first time in months. I have been taking care of my granddaughter every day and never seem to have much time. I never cut my raspberries down to the ground as I always have in the past.It has started to sprout. What do you advise me to do, cut it to the ground now, just take a bit off or leave it as it is?

Kea

• Hectare
Re: Autumn fruiting raspberries
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 20:15:26 »
Cut them down to the usual height but just above a bud/shoot.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 21:00:01 »
It sounds like last year's wood is sprouting, so can't this be cat right back?  Doesn't this year's wood grow up from the roots?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 21:20:44 »
That's what I thought. If you don't cut them right back I think you get an earlier crop so if you cut half back & trim the other half you get Summer & Autumn. If I remember correctly that is  ::).

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 00:37:17 »
Autumn fruiting raspberries fruit (mainly) on the new years growth.... the reason for cutting them back is to stop them turning into epic thickets.... easy rule with raspberries is cut off the fruited wood no matter what sort they are....

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 18:26:37 »
Decided to cut them back to about 4 inches from ground. I will have to wait for the outcome.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 19:02:02 »
I did the same, did not get round to cutting them down until now, and they were starting to grow.

I have now cut them down right to the ground, so in a few months time we can compare notes.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal