Author Topic: You know there is always something .............  (Read 2169 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
You know there is always something .............
« on: February 22, 2012, 18:28:21 »
 Mums always have something to worry about..rght

My son is on his way home from Calgary on a bus, he was visiting someone and needed to come home, of course he had run out of money.. so Mum pays online for his trip to get him back,he misses the bus and has to wait 4 more hours so , cell phone has run out,so collect call phones me of course..have you got money I ask..2 dollars..have you got food I ask 2 boiled eggs and 2 oranges but I am OK  just getting ready to get on the bus now (5.45 in the evening) I will be allright Mum he says and off he goes. He hitch hiked to get to Calgary as there is no publicc tansport from where he was 30 miles away and the person who was driving him had car trouble.

Telephone rings this morning, I am  are stranded, it has been 6 hours so far and they are saying another 4 at least,avalnche on the road..they back tracked to a small tonw so he found a phone,collect again of course,

The driver of the bus has checked into a hotel for a sleep as his journey wll be extended,he has left the bus open but no heat on.

Some passenengers have gone back to Calgary on another bus, my son decided to wait it out.   He now has $1, 1 egg and 1 orange.. The bus  journey is 32 hours without any delays.. There are some old folks on the bus and a few that don't speak English

I can't phone him back, and realised too late I should have told him to go to the hotel and I would pay a room for him from here.

Going a wee bit squirly here.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: You know there is always something .............
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 19:06:06 »
Sounds just like the kind of tricks I used to get up to.  ::)

He has a wise Mum, I'm sure enough will have rubbed off onto him for him to cope. ;) and he will smile his way through it, and ask you to pick up the bill for favours.  :)
Will you meet the bus as it arrives?

All the same, wishing you luck for a stress-free and happy outcome.

Nigel.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 20:39:32 »
Hi update, there is now a moderate chance road will be clear at 4 pm, it was slight before.

He has  phoned back and I had already made some arrangements,so as we speak he is now sitting in a restaraunt munching, they will also give him a packed lunch for the next leg and a bit of cash..all via my Master Card

He actually doesn't live in the same  town as me, he lives on Vancouver Island so his ticket takes him that way,he gets about 30 miles from me at the closest point so  unless he decided to break the journey and come here first..he still has a long journey ahead.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 20:49:17 »
Our youngest spent 3 months in Australia and got into all sorts of scrapes, luckily, we didn't find out until he came home  .Glad you've sorted him out  ;D

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 21:08:07 »
Worry not.. Kids , we've all done that sort of thing. Mind you I don't remember having a caring parent in the background with a Mastercard... ;) He thinks its an adventure, just living life. Good for him. Pity about the cell phone getting you all worried. At least our parents slept in peace while we got up to our antics..... ;D

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 23:56:54 »
"You know there is always something ............."

Isn't there just!

Our daughter is off to Egypt again tomorrow after a brief visit and our bathroom scales are just "so inaccurate" that she is panicking over excess luggage already.

Son is off to Kenya in March and not even thought about ordering his malaria course.

They will have mobiles and internet gizzmos to keep in touch providing a) enough credit on phone and b) a signal  ::)

I can remember our son going down to Natal to teach cricket on his gap year and the only contact was a proper telephone call, which was so expensive, when he remembered perhaps once a month!

The trials and tribulations of parenthood may have put my blood pressure and stress levels up over the years, but I wouldn't swap it.

Ninnys
x

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 00:59:20 »
Don't forget this one is 45!!

I hear the snow has been cleared now but he hasn't rung to say the bus is on it's way again. he is coming here for a rest before he goes on  but he will be on the bus(when it leaves) another 12 hours to get here,he must be shot by now.

It is like having your kid take his training wheels off ...still

XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 15:58:48 »
Still no word from him XX Jeannine

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 16:16:37 »
My friend lives in Portugal & she checks in on Facebook occasionally to make sure her son is still alive ;D.

I'm sure he'll be glad of rest with you Jeannine & no doubt a bit of home cooking ;D.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 18:42:37 »
Just walked in, I wil, get back to you XX Jeannine

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 18:15:56 »
Our son is finally coming home next weekend after 15 months away, and I have a feeling we will spend more time worrying about him when he's home (probably living in London if he and his girlfriend can find somewhere and find jobs) than when he was backpacking around southern asia and working in Australia!

Obviously parents are there for the emergencies, but it has amazed me how many people assume that we have funded his travels- no way! The only time we sent him money was to come home for the memorial for his friend who died in the Christchurch eartthquake (he was in Christchurch this week for the memorial there before coming home.)

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 19:56:34 »
Jeannine, I'm sure it has helped you to be able to share with us all what has been happening, as it happened.  Many of us who are parents will have memories of similar situations when we were worried sick about an offspring.  So glad he has finally walked in - what a long wait you must have had.  Thank you for telling us!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 21:20:42 »
He was stuck 22 hours by the avalanche, then the bus went quick before he had tome to find a phone, of course after a few hours he fell asleep, slept right past the syop he would have got off to get to us and went another 30 miles into Vancouver,, then he had to back track.

He is now well fed, showered and very well slept, he will stay a few days then go on back to his home on the island.

XX Jeannine

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 21:56:12 »
Oh good! ;)

All's well that ends..... with a credit card....... :P

I'm glad the waiting is over Jeannine. That'll be your first wrinkle then, I shouldn't wonder.  :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal