Author Topic: Garlic bulbils  (Read 2074 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Garlic bulbils
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:01:17 »
I have small amount of spare garlic bulbils available..enough of for few people.
Variety is Chesnok Red.
So if anybody is interested taking on project of growing these drop me a PM, it will be about 3 years before they will produce 'normal' size bulbs.. ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Garlic bulbils
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 22:12:15 »
Ok..all is gone now..

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 17:33:07 »
Out of interest Goodlife..... If that's ok...

When you say it'll take a few years to get them to a good size, it confuses me a bit. Not that I don't start the day confused anyway.
So, say I have 5 smallish cloves. I plant those and get five garlic bulbs which turn the five cloves into fifty. Are you saying those fifty new cloves will be bigger that the five planted the year before?...... And so on until you end up planting cloves as big as the variety will produce and getting full-sized bulbs the same.
Its all very confusing to a numpty. ;D
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 18:08:18 »
Nice to meet another numpty ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 18:20:10 »
Bulbils are not same as cloves. Bulbils come up in a 'flower head' of a garlic bulb and they are only just a bit of bigger than grain of rice..that's why the growth to a bulb takes so much longer.
Where as if you plant 'undersize' clove..you do get useable size but small bulb in a first year.
Generally you would choose to plant your biggest size cloves to grow into bulbs as those larger cloves will grow into larger bulbs.
Code: [Select]
So, say I have 5 smallish cloves. I plant those and get five garlic bulbs which turn the five cloves into fifty. Are you saying those fifty new cloves will be bigger that the five planted the year before?......
Umm..yes. If you plant 'undersize' clove..you do get useable size but small bulb in a first year or there is also possibility that the you get cloveless bulb. If the clove is been too small to form into cloves it just grow bigger and will devide when planted again following growing season. But yes..generally each generation will be bigger untill full size is reached. Generally you would choose to plant your biggest size cloves to grow into bulbs as those larger cloves will grow into larger bulbs but if you do use the whole lot of variable size cloves from one bulb..resulting mature bulbs will be variable in size too.
I hope my anwer will clear you thoughts.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 19:29:37 »
Sorry about bad editing..I'm repeating some lines there.. ::)

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 18:17:23 »

I hope my anwer will clear you thoughts.

Yes it has. Thanks Goodlife.

*Note to self: Save the big ones, eat the rest, not the other way around. ;D
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal