Author Topic: LIDL seeds!!!!  (Read 7143 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
LIDL seeds!!!!
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:00:39 »
Dunno about the UK but on Saturday LIDL had just put out the seed racks! I was ever so good (because I have already bought my seeds via online stores).  I bought only radishes (for 29cents a packet, might as well!), some courgettes as I don't have that many courgette seeds left, some chinese cabbage (to try) and some mixed flowers and sweet peas (which I have forgotten to grow in previous years but which I love the perfume of!).
I find their seeds pretty good on the whole, for flowers etc, and really basic veg like lettuce, radish, carrots, it's hard to go wrong.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: LIDL seeds!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 13:50:57 »
I went to stay with my friend in Portugal, one of the highlights was being able to mooch round Lidls & buy some seeds. My OH doesn't do Lidl but we will have an Aldi in the local town soon ;D.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 13:51:33 »
I went to stay with my friend in Portugal, one of the highlights was being able to mooch round Lidls & buy some seeds. My OH doesn't do Lidl but we will have an Aldi in the local town soon ;D.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 14:27:55 »
I found if you have four packets at 29p it ends up as £1.

My children hated Lidl until I discovered their jam.

Grannyjanny your local lidl is only 5 miles away.  How do you manage to stay away? ;D

On the downside their runner beans are labels as Phaseolus vulgaris.

So if you antipodes are paying 29 cents a packet why are we having to pay the inflated price of 29p.    Why should we pay 20% extra?  Though once they have been reduced to 25p it is not quite so bad.

I got some parsley (x2( and thyme some french marigolds to sow amongst the carrots and and some some sweet williams which I love. 

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 15:02:42 »
It's 5 miles in the wrong direction ;D Digeroo but they are working on one AWS just less than 3 miles away in the right direction ;D.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 16:24:09 »
How can Lidl be in the wrong direction?   ;D 

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 00:04:03 »
 ;D ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 13:29:40 »
So if you antipodes are paying 29 cents a packet why are we having to pay the inflated price of 29p.    Why should we pay 20% extra?  Though once they have been reduced to 25p it is not quite so bad.

Good question! Maybe it's not the same source? They have several sorts, grade"1" which are the basic stuff, basic green beans, peas, wax beans, radish, carrot, lettuce, courgette, cabbage, leeks, and many common flowers. Then they have more upmarket varieties for 69 cents, like better tomato varieties, posher herbs, squash, bigger paxkets of beans and peas. Then they have seed tapes and a "premium" range, which were about 1.50, I didn't look too close!
There are lots of differences between prices here and in the UK. I find many basic goods are cheaper in the UK, especially with household goods. But on the other side of the coin, there are many other cheaper things (maybe fags and booze isn't a good example!) like fruit and vegetables, and our utilities are cheaper like electricity, water etc. When my brother comes here from the UK, he always marvels at the facilities here like the schools, sports centres, libraries, creches and childcare, as well as the roads. I don't know if we pay more taxes but it's not always badly spent...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 20:49:12 »
Think I'll have to wander round Lidl when I'm in town on Thursday...but no point in being greedy. Mind you their nasturtiums did well last year but I didn't rate the seed tapes of flower seeds I bought. Hardly any germinated in situ so I shan't bother with those again. Don't actually think there's a lot of stuff I need. BTW has anyone else used their potting compost? I tried it a couple of years ago but didn't rate it very highly whereas their green leather gardening gloves+ apron have been fantastic- need some more of those. ;)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 23:08:34 »
I bought loads of their compost at £1.99 a bag last year and thought it was pretty good. cannot resist the seeds even though I 'v already got mine at a good price through the lotty
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 23:41:11 »
I popped in yesterday and picked up some carrot and raddish seed. From previous experience I think their seed is as good as anybodies, but I'm sad to see how the varieties have reduced in the last few years. You used to be able to get just about everything and I really liked their scorzonera, but they seem to have cut back. Each year I hope it will be like it used to be, but maybe next year.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 20:58:22 »
Think its a matter of only stocking what's been a success in previous years.....

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 21:11:30 »
I did just take a small detour to have a look after reading this thread ;D only made a few purchases honest :-X well it would be rude not to at that price wouldn't it  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal