Author Topic: Water charges  (Read 2894 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
Water charges
« on: February 05, 2012, 13:12:06 »
 ???Morning
I have just come back from plot after reading our rent is due this month the last two years I have witheld the water supply cost from my rent they are now telling me that the rent is due I'n full with no clarification of the water charge element. They have said that as long  as there is a tap on my plot I gave to pay for water supply and that's it!!!even if there is no water getting to my plot I could go and collect water from someone elses plot who has a supply! all our plots(123) are locked individually  lucky if I ever see my neighbours they have no water either there has not been a supply on my plot for 13 years and I will be blown if I am paying for plot members that just turn their tap on and use what they want. They are also saying we need to sign a new agreement" to make it easier for them to get rid of people" I just need to check if I can disagree with paying my water costs? Sorry so long winded I am angry.every meeting the lack of water supply is brought up and dismissed with they will look into it. I collect as much rainwater as I can but also when it's hot I ferry 40ltrs a day from home down to the plot .

digmore

• Half Acre
Re: Water charges
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 20:17:45 »
Hiya,

Who supplies your water?

Council or private site?

Digmore

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 20:33:15 »
I must say I agree with you, I would not be wanting to pay the water charge either if I do not get any water.

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 21:50:16 »
We lease he plots from the council but are self managed( I think)
 we pay water company for water Not the council.There are more people who don't have water than those who do the supply to the plots around me have no connection to the mains due to plot fire quite a few plots away from us. We have suggested stand pipes be put up along the paths I don't mind going to them to fill my containers but to find someone near that is on their plot at same time as water is turned on for 1 he we'd afternoon( I am at work) and 1 hour on a Sunday is very difficult last year water was turned on I'n July!!! All my blinking crops would have diedbif I hadn't carted water from home every night aghhh makes me feel like packing I'n after all the hard work I have done over last four years why can't committee people be more understanding and considerate with plot holders who make real efforts . It seems to me no matter how our new committee had good ideas to start off with still have the same ethos as the old regarding water

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 22:32:12 »
Water is about 20% of our rents but nobody has their own tap.  This is just asking for abuse and some people would no doubt leave sprinklers on throughout summer.  We have a standpipe for about every 10 plots which is ample with most plotholders collecting rainwater.  Don't refuse to pay the water part of the charge,  just say you are withholding it until water is supplied, once supplied - then pay it.  Though you have an association, they still have to answer to somebody, be it  the council or whoever.  123 plots all with their own tap seems excessive to me and has no doubt added substantial costs to rent increases in years gone by.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 22:39:14 »
Hi Ktlawson
I have told them that I am withholding water part of rent last two years I'n writing saying I will pay my annual amount as soon as the water supply is fixed. But this year they have said the rental is all in no split for land and water? So not sure what to withold. May contact the council to see their reaction? But whoops will this make me even more unpopular???

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:26:09 »
Can I assume that the majority of the committee have the water supply?  I would be wondering whether they want people without water to subsidise their usage?

When is the AGM?  Should you join the committee?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 11:59:41 »
Hello admjh1

No, I don't think you can withold the water charge element of your bill without risking eviction.  You have a good argument that the landlord isn't providing you with the whole of the service that you have paid for but I don't believe you can legitimately withold a portion of the rent for the missing service even if your rent bill itemises the water charge separately, because it's all still rent and rent is an entire obligation.  It sounds like your committee pays the water company directly out of rent receipts, but that's an arrangement between the committee and the landlord.

It's very unusual to have individual taps, but as that's what you've got, and as previously your rent has included and explicit charge for water, I'd say that you do have a contractural right to water.  Like with any other consumer dispute you need to put your complaint in writing to the landlord stating that your tenancy includes the (implied) right to water from your own tap, and if you get no joy follow that up with a final warning that if the landlord won't honour their obligation to supply you will be making a complaint to Trading Standards.

Your landlord can't make you sign a new tenancy agreement.  They can however give you notice to terminate your current agreement (at least 12 months notice, and it must terminate on the first or last day of a tenancy year, and you'll need to read your tenancy agreement to see when that is).  They can then offer you a new agreement on whatever terms they choose, or they can in fact not offer you a new tenancy at all.  That last option is a complete tyrrany because in effect it forces you to sign an agreement at shorter notice that statute allows, but some landlords ar tyrants.

Take heed though:  knowing your rights is one thing, successfully sticking up for them is quite another.  There's always a chance that a management committee or council clerk will get uppity with you for asserting your rights and making complaints to Trading Standards and such and just decide to evict you, and unless you have a strong site association completely behind you you'll find that very difficult to deal with, so think carefully before you make waves.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 17:52:54 »
Hi,

I agree with Unwashed.

We all {72}, have access to stand pipe water spread over the whole site, with no limit on use. Common sense prevails but that comes at a cost of 66% of rental income.

This year we are trying to get members to use multi barrel storage, ie. blue barrels or ibc's to cut costs.

Blue barrel's with or without a lid cost as little as £5.00 each. Subject to shape of shed and green house you could get 8 barrels on each plot. That is in old terms 8 x36 gal.

But I digress, Unwashed has the best suggestions to date.

Digmore

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 22:40:56 »
Thank you all for your comments. Looms like I will have to pay my rent in full doesn't it? But I will put a letter in to the committe and copy the local council stating my disgust at having to pay for a service not provided by the society. Bang goes my chances of rosettes at this years show oh well hey ho!!! :'(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal